MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: best mould material?

Boolit Master

best mould material?

so what is the best material for molds, i see them from brass to steel, with every thing between.

im planning on casting 45/70, maybe .44, maybe with gas checks.

Banned
    I go with both aluminum and steel. They'll last if you care for them and not abuse them.

In Remebrance

I love the idea of brass or nickle, but I don't own any. For me, the hard aluminum Walt Melander used in his old NEI moulds was best. Much harder than Lee, heated up faster than iron or steel, lighter so it was easier on me old bones. In truth, once the mould get's hot they all work good.

Boolit Master
    Two years ago I wouldn't have given you 2cents for aluminum molds, now I love them. No issues with rust and much easier to hold during a long casting session. With reasonable care, they'll last a lifetime. For anything more than a double cavity mold aluminum is great... 4 cavity iron molds get very heavy after the first hour of casting.

Boomer
    Group Buy Honcho for 311440Mod, 312190-FNGC, 379230-GC, 380200-GC, 381268-PB, 360180-GC, 360180-PB, 413640-PB, 434330-GC, 434640-PB, 434640-GC, 454640-PB, 462420-PB, 462420-GC, 462420-PB Re-Run, 462420-GC Re-Run, 462640-PB, and 462640-GC Group Buys.

Lever Guns are my Passion!
    SASS Life 37141
    IHMSA 33587

Boolit Grand Master

I here tell brass is the best but never gave it a shot. Bottom line though is they all work weel and have their good and bad points. Aluminum like Lee is cheap but will last a long tome if you care for it good. Steel lasts a long time and ar tougher but they can cost a bit and in some enviornments you have to worry about rust. They also take a longer time to heat up but once they do they hold their heat better than aluminum. Basically pick the bullet you want and get that mould. You really can't go wrong with any mould aluminum, brass or steel.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master

IMO, steel moulds are the best and longest lasting. Various companies use their own mould alloy. I've always been partial to H & G's recipe and what RCBS uses isn't bad. The meehanite that NEI uses is good as well.

I've cast with several brass moulds over the years. One Mountain and several Yankee moulds. All of them cast exceptionally well which makes me wonder why more companies don't use brass.

Aluminum moulds are all right but if you're clumsy like I am and drop one wrong....you're out. At least with iron, you may get a second chance./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Man
    i have several alum mould and 2 steel moulds i agree with moon man on the heat point steel is alot more consistent about temp I.E i can cast longer with out cooling the mould.
    the alum NEI mould is probably my favortie mould though i can cast alomost as long as with a steel but with less weight which is nice when your running a 2 cav 45 mould pouring 330 kieths even the alum mould wears me out after a while though i do wsitch between a lee 2 cav and the NEI.

as far as duability one the 2 steel mould that i have have surface rust a i did have to clen up the seaco 4 cav. but they still work fine
    the alum lees iv had are still ok but i did wear one out mainly out of ignorance but on average i would say i get about 3-4000 boolits before i sart getting alignment issue etc.

my new years resolution is to have a more positve outlook but that doesn't mean i cann't expect the @%&#*%@ worst

Boolit Grand Master

My favorite moulds are H&G four cavity. I have an H&G six cavity .38 WC mould and while it is a fine mould, it is HORRIBLY heavy! It takes me about 1½ hours to empty my 22 lb RCBS pot and by that time I am DONE! However, the bullets are superb and I will just have to live with it.

I have several aluminum moulds that work extremely well (including several Lee's) and using the Lee Six Cavity moulds I can really roll the bullets out and I am not worn out when I get finished. When you couple the production possibility with the low cost, Lee's Six Cavities are in a class all their own. However, (there is ALWAYS a "however") you MUST handle them gently and lube them properly. Bullshop's Sprue Plate lube is a life saver with aluminum moulds and works just as well with iron and steel.

Dale53