WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee Sizer

Lee Sizer

I am new to this so here comes the STUPID? Can i size my 45-70 bullets in a lee sizer dry or should i use say a litle case lube on them? I will be pan lubing them so thats why i ask.
    Lean into 'er and let 'er buck!!!

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Instructions say to lube them to prevent leading of the sizer. I used to spray mine with a dry lube like teflon spray.

Boolit Buddy
    Pan lube them first, then size. Keep it simple. I tumble lube 45-70 bullets in LLA for smokeless and pan lube in modified Emmert's for blackpowder. Depending on the rifle, I either size to .459 with a modified Lee push thru or load as cast.

charlie

Boolit Master

If you must size before lubing, dip your boolets in a RICH soap 'n water sol'n. first.
    P.R.
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

brad, Pepe Ray's suggestion is probably the the most effective and least expensive. Diluted Lee Liquid Alox is another option, but you may not like the stickiness or odor. Option #3 is to use wire pulling lube that you get from Home Depot, Lowes, et al. It is as effective as the soap & water solution, but dries much faster. You can apply it by squirting it on the CB's and rolling them between your palms to disperse it (You don't need much.) or by putting it in a margarine tub and swirling the CB's around in it as you would with Liquid Alox.

Boolit Master
    Lube them with anything, it'll be a lot easier to size them. Before each lot I like to clean the sizer with a q-tip or toothpick to get any dried lube, bits of lead, dust, etc. I pre-lube it with a quick squirt of One Shot to slick it up for the first few boolits. After that my pan-lubed 45-70s slip through without too much effort.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Mold
    ditto on the lubing first !
    GOD, GUNS AND GUTS MADE AMERICA FREE.

Boolit Grand Master

If you are going to pan lube, then do it first, THEN size. It will have no ill effect on the lube, the lube will ease the bullet through the die, and it is fast and efficient.

I have pan lubed all of my BPCR Silhouette bullets and THEN sized them with the Lee sizer. It is a superior way to size soft bullets (push through die nose first) - no damage to the bullet and relatively fast.

Dale53