RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elvis Ammo Vs Fortune Cookie 45LC

I made Johnnys PIB for casting and other than I put a few wires I put wrong it works great thanks to Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I learned a lot from FC45 when I started casting. He was also quick to answer questions I left in the comments. I appreciated that. It was unfortunate when YouTube changed there policies and most gun related things had to go. I tried following him to Patreon but my slow satellite internet wouldn’t play his videos, so I gave up.

I watched Elvis some and found his experiments with zinc interesting, but never liked his big batch PCing. I stand all my boolits up.

The only gun related channel I regularly watch these days is Forgotten Weapons. I enjoy that particular topic and it is always a well organized presentation. For the time being, the rest of my gun addiction time is taken care of on this forum.
    I did a batch of PB 40 cal boolits in a big batch pile. It was about 350 boolits and I did a red with black powder in there and they turned out really nicely. Previously, I could put about 160 boolits standing up in my tray and it would take me about 20-30 min to tumble and place my boolits. As a batch, it took about 2 min to tumble and dump on a screen.
    WWG1WGA

I've watched some of FC45LC's videos; I've enjoyed most of them quite well. The other person isn't familiar to me.

Few YT producers are professional grade videographers, but even poor content requires some time commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent quality 10 minute video required several hours of recording and editing.

It isn't an insignificant time commitment.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pcolapaddler View Post
    I've watched some of FC45LC's videos; I've enjoyed most of them quite well. The other person isn't familiar to me.

Few YT producers are professional grade videographers, but even poor content requires some time commitment. I wouldn't be surprised if a decent quality 10 minute video required several hours of recording and editing.

This is true. Yet, I'm reminded of what a mentor once told me regarding another aspect of life: "If people want to know something from you they will ask."
    IMO, it takes a good bit of ego to make the investment in equipment, time and all else required to start and maintain a youtube channel that Noone asked for in the first place. The person who does so has put a target on his/her back; kinda made him/her self an "expert". Criticism comes with the territory.
    An old fashioned alternative is to watch for the shooters at the range who are successfully doing what your interest is and find out what they are doing. Seeing with your own eyes without the magic of editing is worth a lot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pcolapaddler View Post

It ABSOLUTELY CAN!!! PLUS SOME!!

I have just started and am still learning the "power" of editing tools. Voice overs words blank panels with words spacing timing music no music subdued volume of music fade in or outs ad infinitum...

I use minimal but EASY EVERY 15-20 min video is about two hours with MINIMAL editing to produce. TRIPPLE that for the very professional videos many produce.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Man
    I don't have a youtube channel or even post videos, but I do write for magazines. I don't do it for the money, because the pay is poor. My main motivation is to share information so that readers will achieve enjoyment or success by what I share. It's no different when I talk to you. I want you to be successful in what we discuss. My best memory of helping someone was when I was a BSA leader. A scout approached me about how to catch a bass. I had just seen a largmouth bass patrolling a transition area where it went to sand from gravel. I helped him select a rubber worm, explained how to work it, and where the bass was. He left all pumped up and I was hopeful as I went back to cooking. Some 30 minutes later the scout came back, excited like he had won the lottery. He had caught that bass, his first-ever. I was ready to cry tears of joy because I was so happy for him and proud that I could aid in making that happen. I suspect FC and Elvis are the same way. They want to share what they have learned and shorten the learning curve for you. When you succeed, they succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    It ABSOLUTELY CAN!!! PLUS SOME!!

I have just started and am still learning the "power" of editing tools. Voice overs words blank panels with words spacing timing music no music subdued volume of music fade in or outs ad infinitum...

I use minimal but EASY EVERY 15-20 min video is about two hours with MINIMAL editing to produce. TRIPPLE that for the very professional videos many produce.

CW
    I agree CW'b ... it does take time but it makes a video much more palatable and the editing makes them shorter too. Many of today's viewers simply will not watch something that takes over a few minutes. I suppose that's a decision of 'each to their own design'.
    The way I approach editing, is that it takes the time it takes to convey whatever message your trying to get over. If your mentoring a person, 'in person', them standing there beside you their questions are answered in a few minutes whereas in video it is not the same. Folks watching aren't butting in and asking questions as you narrate and show what your doing.

Something that boggles my mind is attitudes like this DonHowe has, quote>[IMO, it takes a good bit of ego to make the investment in equipment, time and all else required to start and maintain a youtube channel that Noone asked for in the first place.]
    CW'b...you recon you and I have an ego problem as content creators, as mentors?
    He says>[The person who does so has put a target on his/her back; kinda made him/her self an "expert".]
    Do you recon that we are there investing our time & energy in sharing 'tips n tricks' of an Arcane Hobby just so we can be a "self proclaimed Expert?"

I never have claimed some faux-status of "self proclaimed Expert"...I know I have never heard you doing this. We are but amateurs in this trying as we can to spread the knowledge & skill we have acquired over the years...many times I'll pick up a 'tip or trick' that improves my loading/casting/coating from the comments left in the video.
    I'll never understand the mindset of people like this DonHowe person...all that type commentary is so negative, so unproductive that it leaves me considering just quitting this 'sharing business' all together and saying "Screw it!"

That's the thanks you get...too bad they can't reach through the screen and whack us up beside the head so we'd figure this out much sooner.

The problem out there is that NEWB's wanting to join us in our hobby and don't know anyone personally they can get as a mentor have no other avenue to learn first hand.
    I won't be quitting anytime soon over all this 'negative attitude' from folks like DonHowe...that's for sure and certain!
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    This is true. Yet, I'm reminded of what a mentor once told me regarding another aspect of life: "If people want to know something from you they will ask."
    IMO, it takes a good bit of ego to make the investment in equipment, time and all else required to start and maintain a youtube channel that Noone asked for in the first place. The person who does so has put a target on his/her back; kinda made him/her self an "expert". Criticism comes with the territory.
    An old fashioned alternative is to watch for the shooters at the range who are successfully doing what your interest is and find out what they are doing. Seeing with your own eyes without the magic of editing is worth a lot.
    You do realize not eveyone has that luxury right ? I know for a fact no one around me casts and it took me going to my local range for years before I met another reloader.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I agree CW'b ... it does take time but it makes a video much more palatable and the editing makes them shorter too. Many of today's viewers simply will not watch something that takes over a few minutes. I suppose that's a decision of 'each to their own design'.
    The way I approach editing, is that it takes the time it takes to convey whatever message your trying to get over. If your mentoring a person, 'in person', them standing there beside you their questions are answered in a few minutes whereas in video it is not the same. Folks watching aren't butting in and asking questions as you narrate and show what your doing.

Something that boggles my mind is attitudes like this DonHowe has, quote>[IMO, it takes a good bit of ego to make the investment in equipment, time and all else required to start and maintain a youtube channel that Noone asked for in the first place.]
    He says>[The person who does so has put a target on his/her back; kinda made him/her self an "expert".]
    Do you recon that we are there investing our time & energy in sharing 'tips n tricks' of an Arcane Hobby just so we can be a "self proclaimed Expert?"

I never have claimed some faux-status of "self proclaimed Expert"...I know I have never heard you doing this. We are but amateurs in this trying as we can to spread the knowledge & skill we have acquired over the years...many times I'll pick up a 'tip or trick' that improves my loading/casting/coating from the comments left in the video.
    I'll never understand the mindset of people like this DonHowe person...all that type commentary is so negative, so unproductive that it leaves me considering just quitting this 'sharing business' all together and saying "Screw it!"

That's the thanks you get...too bad they can't reach through the screen and whack us up beside the head so we'd figure this out much sooner.

The problem out there is that NEWB's wanting to join us in our hobby and don't know anyone personally they can get as a mentor have no other avenue to learn first hand.
    I won't be quitting anytime soon over all this 'negative attitude' from folks like DonHowe...that's for sure and certain!
    Hay is your channel still up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Hay is your channel still up ?
    Yes it is ... I've been lucky and have stayed under the radar of the Y-Tube goofs. My channel is small and doesn't attract their attention.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi5...pvqCDsg/videos

Boolit Master

AMEN Charlie!!

I try to mention in my videos tagt Im just offering what works for me. Also telling Im no expert, but I have experience. I also request folks to comment with there experience so all can learn.

I had a recent attack that came outta no where and from someone I know (thru utube) As far as I know totally unprovoked. And as stated I was told I am no expert. I have asked for a personal conversation as we have each others personal Contact info yet he chose a public verbal chastise. I was quite upset as I racked my brain to try and remember what I might and done or said to deserve the written assault. All I can see is I offered a differe t opinion of how I seat a gas check using the NOE kit. But wasnt at all confrontational...

So yup target on your back for sure...

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 02-11-2021 at 06:53 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

To those that think some kind of rivalry exists between Elvis and FC45, FC mentions Elvis frequently and Elvis has a chrome plated fortune cookie on his workbench.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post

Whoa, ease up dude!
    I did not say you have an "ego problem". I used the word ego, someone else might say "self confidence".
    I never said you or anyone here who youtubes believe we ves himself to be "expert" but even here in this thread it seems apparent that at least some VIEWERS are willing to grant that status to the person making the video.
    Regarding the "target" statement it is just a fact of life that people will critique/criticize what others do and the more public the display the more likely the criticism. It goes with the territory.

I WILL stand by my belief that I nor anyone owes any youtuber heaps of praise due to the amount of time, work, etc required to maintain a channel. The person with the channel CHOOSES to do it. Noone makes them do it. Of course you are free to do so just as I M free to watch or not watch and form opinions of your product just as you are with my comments.

As to meeting fellow travelers at the range, my home range is a club range where lots of competition happens so virtually everyone is a handloader. The range I frequent more often because it is closer sees a lot casual use with probably the majority shooting factory ammunition. Cast bullet shooters are more scarce in that setting but they are there if one looks. Weekends at this public range tend to be dominated by AR high volume shooters. The reloaders/ casters/experimenters are not likely to be at the range on blasting day but if you can occasionally get to the range on lower volume days I betting you will find them even at your range.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Chavez View Post
    Blasphemy
    Oh, the poor unwashed masses. What shall we do to bring them into the light?

Quote Originally Posted by DonHowe View Post
    Whoa, ease up dude!
    I did not say you have an "ego problem". I used the word ego, someone else might say "self confidence".
    I never said you or anyone here who youtubes believe we ves himself to be "expert" but even here in this thread it seems apparent that at least some VIEWERS are willing to grant that status to the person making the video.
    Regarding the "target" statement it is just a fact of life that people will critique/criticize what others do and the more public the display the more likely the criticism. It goes with the territory.

I WILL stand by my belief that I nor anyone owes any youtuber heaps of praise due to the amount of time, work, etc required to maintain a channel. The person with the channel CHOOSES to do it. Noone makes them do it. Of course you are free to do so just as I M free to watch or not watch and form opinions of your product just as you are with my comments.

As to meeting fellow travelers at the range, my home range is a club range where lots of competition happens so virtually everyone is a handloader. The range I frequent more often because it is closer sees a lot casual use with probably the majority shooting factory ammunition. Cast bullet shooters are more scarce in that setting but they are there if one looks. Weekends at this public range tend to be dominated by AR high volume shooters. The reloaders/ casters/experimenters are not likely to be at the range on blasting day but if you can occasionally get to the range on lower volume days I betting you will find them even at your range.
    ease up dude! This will not do...To you, I am "OS OK" ... my friends call me Charlie and I am probably 2 or 3 decades your elder, this 'dude' crap will not fly.
    Learn to be respectful and you will get much farther in your life.

I did not say you have an "ego problem". Now you want to 'crawfish' and say something different than you clearly stated above in post number 64 [IMO, it takes a good bit of ego to make the investment in equipment, time and all else required to start and maintain a youtube channel that Noone asked for in the first place.]

I never said you or anyone here who youtubes believe we ves himself to be "expert" Again, it's in your post above, clearly what you insinuate...[The person who does so has put a target on his/her back; kinda made him/her self an "expert".]

From post number 60...[most youtubers remind me of folks 30 years ago with their status symbol camcorders; have camera/have to be seen videoing.] You obviously have a narrow mindset & preconceived notion about mentoring in this hobby and see the world with about a 2º view angle.

Regarding the "target" statement it is just a fact of life that people will critique/criticize This is the only true statement you have made..."people will critique" this word/verb is done in a different light and SPIRIT than your negative assumptions thus far...look at the definition:
    verb (critiques, critiquing, critiqued) [ with obj. ]
    evaluate (a theory or practice) in a detailed and analytical way: the authors critique the methods and practices used in the research.

I know 'critique' very well...I spent 2 years studying under a master water color artist, myself and about 15 other aspiring artist. Each week we had a project painting to do and on Friday we all sat in a circle and critiqued each other work. This is done in a positive manner, it doesn't mean to slander or make up something that is not there that you can demean. In the same sense, people leaving positive comments under a Y-Tube video do their criticizing and or disagreement in a positive manner...in this way all learn something, even the 'content creator' who you refer to in your snide remark of [remind me of folks 30 years ago with their status symbol camcorders;]

I WILL stand by my belief that I nor anyone owes any youtuber heaps of praise due to the amount of time, work, etc required to maintain a channel. This is getting ridiculous and I am 'out of patience' with your snide attitude towards us 'youtuber' types...so I will close with this;
    We make videos to share knowledge, to explore this Arcane Hobby...to spread 'tips-n-tricks' that we have learned over decades of reloading & casting, to keep this hobby alive and passed-on to the NEWBS that come here and to the Y-Tube channels to learn...we emphasize safety & good practices, I could go on and on on about what we try to accomplish but nowhere in any video will you find any Y-Tuber demanding [heaps of praise] for their efforts.
    At most...we expect a civil comment should you decide to put your 2¢ in and if you want to be courteous, you can even give the 'Y-Tuber' a 'Thumbs Up' or a 'Thumbs Down' should you disagree or dislike the content.
    Your right again saying...[The person with the channel CHOOSES to do it. Noone makes them do it.] ...absolutely correct, the 'Y-Tuber' makes his videos to share with people like you out of the kindness of his/her hearts & their desire to 'share', they generally ask for no money or special recognition and they make themselves 'TARGETS' willingly...even for people like you!

If you have the desire to learn and advance your skill-set in this community or share your own ideas, etc...you had better change that nasty attitude & outlook you have & then you will find this forum, the Y-Tube and many other forums & Networks a friendly place to be & you will not find another group of people more generous and willing to go out of their way to share and benefit YOU.

Boolit Buddy
    ok Mr OS OK, sir, If you are 2 or 3 decades my senior you are most like dead or drooling in a bucket. I do not wish discord with anyone here but I certainly am not "crawfishing" as I believe you to have taken my words to mean something other than what I intended. I try to use language that will not be openly confrontational to thoughtful adults but apparently you did not see it that way. I do not know you so what you do or do not do is of no consequence to me. I have no reason to be bothered enough about anything you do or post to attack you personally.
    I THOUGHT I was expressing general thoughts/opinions IN ADDITION to my initial response to a comment of yours, which a thought supported your comment. If my language offends you I will now apologize and love the ball in your court to do with as you will.
    I will say this then I am done with this thread: there are many things I do at which I believe myself to be reasonably competent or even good at, including making shooting cast bullets. I had a much higher opinion of my abilities in this area until I got involved in what I believe to be the ultimate test of making and shooting lead bullets, namely schuetzen matches where extreme accuracy is sought with plain base soft lead bullets. I soon learned that my competency was only a starting place. My point? Just this - there is always someone better and more knowledgeable than I. If I choose to expound on what I know or think in any setting there is most likely someone there who disagrees or just flat knows more.. I can take what I glean from others and improve my abilities or I can get uptight and retreat to my own little corner of the world.
    With that said I am out of here!

Boolit Mold
    I've been casting and reloading off and on since the mid 80's when I was in college. I was an alox guy then a 45/45/10 guy but the latter gave me leading. With Alox I never liked the sticky, gummy residue it left on everything.

While I have watched many videos from both guys, Elvis' curiosity and experimenting has helped me immensely. He has saved me much experimenting and I am grateful for his experimentations.

I started doing PC in the past 6 months. I did the shake and bake, stand them up routine which took too much time. I did the large basket dumps of 20 minutes of 400F and I had a lot stick together with boogers. When Elvis did his video on the shortened, cooler temp method I tried that. It didn't work as well for me until I set my oven at 275F, did shake and bake for 20 minutes, dumped into a 5 gallon bucket of water and purrrrfect! No boogers, no stuck-togethers, no leading which is what I was after. I use PBTP High gloss black and High gloss clear. He got me on the right track. Just wish I could personally tell him thank you as it solved my leading problems and works great! He saved me a lot of trial and error and I am thankful.

FC45LC helped me decide to go with the Lee Autodrum and the Classic Turret. That's coming from a Dillon but that's due to getting older and not being able to watch all 4 stations on my Dillon so I was having quality issues caused by me. The Lee Classic Turret lets me pay attention to each stage of every round. The classic turret has brought me much joy in reloading in the past few months. Even tonight I loaded up 300 rounds for fun.

I'm one of those guys that loves to shoot, but I also love casting (and now powder coating) and I love reloading. I enjoy all of it.

Come on guys r e l a x. For the younger crowd type in ABBA and look for the two girls singing :[/I]Waterloo[I]" and you will forget all you learned from either of the two gentleman. Just saying.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim22 View Post
    Elvis' introduction turns me off so I don't watch him any more.
    I agree. Tried to watch several times, but just can't do it.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Bug fan of Johnnys loading Bench! I like his style! I sure hope he never blows his face off!!

CW
    The episode I really got a kick out of was when he dislodged a stick case with a grease gun.👍
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US