Titan ReloadingWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat exhaustion.

Boolit Master

I have had both. As a career Pro-Firefighter. Keeping hydrated helps but at times wearing 75-80 pounds of gear and summer heat 90's and above never mind the temps involved in a building fire it happens.

Cooling the body off is the treatment. You were still functioning get in a cool shower. In the city I lived and worked water temp equaled the reservoir temp any where from 70-80 degrees That will work for heat exhaustion

Heat stroke is transport time to Hospital as you will need fluids and real cooling in an ice water bath under care. Care needed asap.

Don't play with it cause if you are by yourself you may just collapse and fry your brain.

Boolit Buddy

I got it in South Korea humping up a mountain, full pack and gear. Woke up in a huey with an IV in my arm
    NRA Life Member
    Member Florida Carry
    Founding member/moderator COTEP

Boolit Grand Master
    I have had it
    Puking,slurring speech,fighting to stay awake,headache.
    Was within an eyelash of dying
    was working on a Walgreens as a mason out in the sun for 8-10 hours
    once you have had it you are never the same
    I get headaches when in the sun without a lid
    Pace yourself it aint no fun
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    When you get older you probably should start hydrating the day before strenuous activity especially on warmer days . If you take or consume diuretics, you need to drink a little extra as you go. They'll up the amount you sweat.

Boolit Master

I've never had it. I've always drank water a lot.

Back when I was delivering mail it was common for me to go through two gallons of water and a gallon of Gatorade in six hours. A couple of the medications I take increase perspiration, I can sweat a puddle in minutes here in Texas. I can drench a bath towel in a couple hours in the summer if the humidity is up.

I always have ice water and electrolytes handy.

I have seen many cases of heat stroke and heat exhaustion over the years.

When I was a teenager I bucked hay bales in Utah and Idaho. It wasn't bucking the bales that got ya, it was stacking them in hay barns. I watched several guys go down.

While in the Corps, during the time of "two canteens" per day we had a few guys go down on Okinawa during the summer.

While carrying mail we had a couple of bad heat stroke cases. Coffee or soda aren't good for ya. You need water and electrolytes. Even when you tell people this it goes over their head till they end up in the intensive care unit. It got to the point one summer where we had a union steward and supervisor driving around with a cooler full of Gatorade. They would locate a carrier and hand them one of those 20 ounce bottles and make them drink it while they watched. Then off to find the next carrier. That pretty much stopped the problem.

If you don't have to pee you're not drinking enough. Unfortunately for me I can't put it in faster than it's coming out during the humid summer. Couple that with the leaky valve on the bottom end and I can't tell if I've hydrated enough. So my default is to just keep sucking it down. As long as I'm sweating I'm good. If I quit sweating I'm in danger.

If you've got diabetes then you really need to watch this. You're a LOT more susceptible to heat issues. Thankfully they've come out with sugar free Gatorade. I've got a shooting buddy with diabetes, he sometimes gets tired of me forcing him to hydrate during the summer. Then a couple years ago he fell off his riding mower due to heat exhaustion. Now he listens to me.

I don't care how "manly" ya are, whether you're young or old. Just keep drinking water and electrolytes. Something I keep on hand and use is Elete. https://elete.com/shop/

This stuff works. There are many similar products on the market. Find one you like and use it. I add Elete to every other bottle of water I drink during the summer.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Heat exhaustion is rough! I have never handled the heat/humidity here. Even though I grew up working on a farm and played football up to college. However when we went to Death Valley and it was 120F outside I was actually kinda comfortable, felt about like 90F at home since there was no humidity there vs near 100% humidity here most of the year

If you are in a low humidity area, a wet cotton bandana around your neck is real performance enhancer.

50 years of working in the Texas sun here and my tip is to run cool water over your wrists and elbow pits first when you start to feel it coming on. Camp out by that water and get in that precious shade. I've been oh so close a few times.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Shoveling sand out of a JD 555 bucket in 110F weather did it for me. Blasted tractor fans blow forward increasing the heat and I spiraled right into the ground.

I've since done truck mechanics in Phoenix at 115F. Slow down and stay relaxed along with hydration.

Shooting in 115F takes more guns, they literally get too hot to handle but at that temperature you don't have to wait in line for a shooting bench to open up.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.