RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee molds for 45 ACP

Boolit Grand Master
    A guy like that needs a nice ribeye every twice in a while to let him know its appreciated.
    This has worked for me. Now I never hesitate to ask those fellows who help me out.
    You are fortunate to have a buddy with access to machine tools and the knowledge on using them!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Bub
    His work does not go without some sort of repayment. My friend also live in my neighborhood and I have been known to drop off a six pack of his favorite brew. I have also taken him out for a burger a time or two for lunch. He always tells me that it's not necessary, but it makes me feel better.

Happy casting,
    Elk Country

Boolit Master

NPS64: I have several aftermarket mags but don't remember if I tried anything but the factory mag. I still have the SWCs around so I will load some up and see if any of my mags will help feeding. Thanks for the suggestion.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Mold
    Any opinion on the differences between the Lee 200 rnfp and the 230TC ?
    I would prefer the lighter 200gr but feed reliability is more important overall.
    The 200gr RNFP appears to be made for 45Colt with the crimp groove and all so I am suspect of feed issue.

Smile

Don't have a mould for the 200 gr. RNFP, so I can't compare. I've always considered 230 grains the standard weight for the .45 ACP, and the TC feeds fine. But the 200 grain Ideal SWCs I have a mould for (forgot the number) feed OK, too.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Grand Master
    Rem, you are wise to be wary of feeding issues. Some guns may feed them fine, but the 200 RNFP produces a round of non standard overall length, decidedly to the short side.

At least with the TC bullet a round of 1.220" can be produced, which is more like it and closer to the 1911's design parameters regarding bullet shape and overall length.

Regarding the original poster's question........

Actually, of Lee's bullets, the 230-2R roundnose is the most likely to feed of any offered and would be superior in feeding reliability to anything else sold by them or mentioned in this thread. It produces a round that duplicates the length of factory FMJ with the same ogive shape.

Since this is the 1911's "original" bullet and shape as well as overall length, this is the most likely to feed of any of Lee's offerings.

Boolit Mold
    I have heard of several people loading the 200gr rn to oal of 1.250 and crimping on the front driving band.

Is the Lee 230gr 2r your referring to this one TL452-230-2R I dont see any other one listed and this one is a TL design.

Would it be best to measure a factory FMJ and use that OAL for a OAL when loading the TL452-230-2R ?

Thanks

Just loaded a box of Lee 230 TC to an oal of 1.120. Heading out to try them in a S&W 1911, S&W 457 and a .45 USP Compact.

I'll let ya know how they run.
    Cliff
    FPD, NRA Lifer, USN retired

Boolit Grand Master
    "Is the Lee 230gr 2r your referring to this one TL452-230-2R I dont see any other one listed and this one is a TL design.

Would it be best to measure a factory FMJ and use that OAL for a OAL when loading the TL452-230-2R ?"

Yes to both.

"Just loaded a box of Lee 230 TC to an oal of 1.120."

Good Lord. That's way too short. Transposed the 1 and 2, I hope?

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    "Is the Lee 230gr 2r your referring to this one TL452-230-2R I dont see any other one listed and this one is a TL design.

Would it be best to measure a factory FMJ and use that OAL for a OAL when loading the TL452-230-2R ?"

Yes to both.

"Just loaded a box of Lee 230 TC to an oal of 1.120."

Good Lord. That's way too short. Transposed the 1 and 2, I hope?
    Opps! Should be 1.200"
    No it's not a TL mould. It is a truncated cone 230 gr. with one lube groove.

Anyway, shot them through a S&W 1911, S&W 457 and the USP compact. Perfect feeding in all three guns.
    Cliff
    FPD, NRA Lifer, USN retired

whisler, I have the .452 230 grain TC lee mold. If you want to shoot me a PM with your address Ill throw a few of the bullets in the mail for you to load up and see if they feed OK for you.

Greg
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Master

Hoosierlogger: Thanks much. PM sent
    God Bless, Whisler

they are in the mail. Ive got 50 of em coming water quenched and lightly rolled in LLA to keep em from corroding. Let us know how they work for ya.
    If grasshoppers carried .45's the birds wouldnt mess with them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    The TL452-230-TC works fine in my Series 70 Colt and standard Rock Island 1911, both unmodified.
    Richo
    How to you like that Rock Island 1911?

Smile

It's quite nice.

Smile

The TL-452-230-2R, BTW, is the one shaped pretty much like the military "hardball" bullet. The 2R refers to a nose radius twice that of the cross sectional radius of the bullet. The TL-452-230-TC is the tumble lubed truncated cone design.

Boolit Buddy
    Wonderful! I looked at Sarcoinc and they still have some. One 1911 is never enough.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    The TL-452-230-2R, BTW, is the one shaped pretty much like the military "hardball" bullet. The 2R refers to a nose radius twice that of the cross sectional radius of the bullet. The TL-452-230-TC is the tumble lubed truncated cone design.
    I have a TL452-230-TC mold, and they work great in .45 Colt.

The TL358-158-2R is a good one in .38 Special.