RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Bartlett's BR-5 (Ball similar to unique) available again

Boolit Master

Bartlett's BR-5 (Ball similar to unique) available again

For a while Bartlett was out of everything but the super slow stuff pulled from 50 cal & bigger.

It looks like he got another batch of his BR-5 in.

Bartlett says to use unique data, elsewhere I saw that it might be just a smidge slower than Unique (makes sense). I think the density is higher than Unique. This makes it better for small case rounds (9mm, etc.) but increases the need for diligence in inspecting for double charges in revolver ammo like the 38 SP.

He has been selling the stuff for a while, so I expect he will continue to carry it in the future. For all the new reloaders having trouble with finding an on-line source of handgun powder, this looks to be a reasonable choice and the $120 for 6 lbs is not bad.

http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Here is a previous thread on the stuff.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...age-test-loads

I did note that his front webpage is warning about being slower on getting stuff to you:

Due to unprecedented demand, shipping dates are now 6-7 weeks after order date.
    This is because DOT regulations limit how many pounds of powder can be loaded
    on UPS & FedEx trucks. I am shipping the max amount allowed per day. Any in-stock
    powders ordered will be reserved and shipped as soon as possible.
    Items will be held back for future shipment. Please be patient.
    However, powder can be picked up at warehouse at any time. Appointment required

Boolit Buddy
    I bought 2 jugs of BR-5 from Bartlett almost a year ago and I'm tempted to go back for more. It was getting hard to find SPPs at the time so I figured maybe it was time to fill my closet with something to shoot. LPPs were still out there at normal prices and I enjoy punching paper with the 44mag, so I ordered 10K primers. I needed a powder to pair up with the 10K primers and Unique was already in short supply most places. That's when I came across the BR-5. I think it was around $90 a jug at the time. I normally load 8.5gr of unique under a 240gr cast. That's 800 to a pound of powder, so 12lbs of BR-5 matched up perfectly with my primer stash. It's not a huge stock for some people, but 10K rounds through a revolver and a Contender will hopefully get me through this shortage. It also feels good knowing my 44 plinkers are a fraction of the cost of even the now-coveted 22LR.

So far I like the BR-5. I've tried it in the 44, the 444, and 9mm. None of the loads are near max and I'm using the same charge weight as Unique. I haven't run any over a chronograph, but it feels like Unique and it seems just as accurate to me.