Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Converting No4 Lee Enfield to 45-70. Who's done it?

Boolit Buddy

Converting No4 Lee Enfield to 45-70. Who's done it?

I know Gibbs and I think Navy Arms sold converted No1 and maybe No4 Enfields in .45-70.

Just wondering how difficult the conversion is... Besides trying to get the old barrel off the conversion looks straight forward with only slight modification to the action and magzine.

John Taylor please, I'd like to hear your experience and/or advice... And anyone else for that matter who has real experience.

Boolit Master
    There is what they call a breeching ring in the receiver. Usually when such a conversion is done to 45/70 they machine part of it away or remove it all together. One solution is to trim the rim back rather than alter the ring. And the magazine can be altered to single column and will only hold 3 or so rounds. There was a discussion I believe on the Gunboards forum about this. The inside of the magazine was lined with sheet metal or nylon or delrin to allow the straight single column feed. Frank

Boolit Master
    I have one of the Navy arms Infields and they confirmed the work was done by Gibbs. I'll send photos if you'd like, it does look like a pretty simple job.
    The 45-70 SMLE Magazines are not the same as the issue mags. That might be the only sticking point.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Buddy
    JSnover,
    Thank you for offering photos of your converted Enfield. I'll send you a PM with my email address.

Boolit Master
    I have a Danish Krag converted to 45-70. I have to turn the 45-70 rims down a tiny bit to fit the bolt face. I just made a holder with a bolt and masking tape to fit the brass, chucked in a drill and run the rims across a smooth file in the vise. Took an hour to do 100 cases. Not a big deal and they worked fine when I was shooting the gun. Another one of those guns that found it's way to the back of the safe...