WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reloading for others

Boolit Master
    not to try and be greedy or nothing but contender makes good points.
    way too often friendships have been destroyed over the smallest things and there are lawyers hiding behind every bush waiting to sue the tar out of anyone or anything they can, once your a lawyer it doesn't cost a whole lot to file a lawsuit.
    I reload for myself have one or 2 friends that might show up and want to shoot in my back pasture every so often and I might have some ammo that fits in the guns they are shooting but that's the extent of it.
    I once thought about taking in a handyman/boarder to help out take care of the property but after carefully thing it through decided it just aint worth the possible liability. if they might get tangled in a tractor or implement or slide down the ridge on slimey rock or something. and that wasn't even thinking about firearms or ammo.

Boolit Master

I reload and share reloads with exactly 2 people.. shooting friends. One shooting friends has donated lead, the other shooting friend has donated brass. That's about it. I really don't reload for others. Me and one guy shoot 35 rem.. it became difficult to find 35 rem a while back when it went to pretty much 1 run only a year at hornady.. got tired of paying 1$ a round and started loading for it. Started with buying commercial bullets using our built up brass, now I cast for it and get better than 'factory' accuracy and consistency. 9mm and 357 are about the only other calibers I make for those 2 guys.. perhaps adding 8mm mauser for me and the guy with the 35 rem. The buddy that donates brass, he just started reloading too ( he went blue$$.. i'm mostly green and red ). He just started loading 9mm 45 acp and 556. He doesn't cast though.. he was just buying commercial bullets. he got lucky.. he built up a supply of a few thou bullets and primers before the craziness started. He got the powder bullets and primers.. then started piecing his dillon$$$ stuff together last. He was envious of me relaoding and always shooting and not paying a buck a round.. he was amazed that you can reload handgun for under 20 cents a round.. even buying commercial bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Yes there are lots of folks that I don't want to be close to when they shoot their reloads but on the other hand I would not ride in a car with them driving either. I did have two friends killed in a car crash on the way to a match and numerous other fiends and family killed in car accidents. I also had a friend's mother die from food poisonings at a family gathering and several others had to be hospitalized. On the other hand I don't know a single person injured by another's reloads.
    Good point. It would seem that this is something that we all worry about, but is extremely rare. I'm cautious too, but I have to wonder if our over-litigious society has us all a bit paranoid?

Back in the day, kids would make money by mowing neighbors' lawns. My son tried asking a few neighbors in the last couple years, and got the same response from most: they were worried that if he got hurt on their property, they would be liable. They would rather pay a lawn care crew 10x more because they're licensed and insured.

Boolit Master
    I don't load for anyone except my wife and myself. Liability and lawyers have changed my mind on several things. I have offered to teach a few others to reload using my equipment and components but have only had one taker. I have moved from Ak to Mt about 5 years ago and few people here know I reload. I recently gave a neighbor a couple of boxes of 44mag and another neighbor a box and a 1/2 of 357max of factory ammo and told them to bring the empties and I will show them how to reload them. So far no takers.

I'll reload for immediate family, and to a point for extended family. Usually only get asked once every few years by a couple uncles to reload something for them. No big deal, but one eventually started asking more and more and expressed an interest in doing it himself. So last spring I got him a Lee Breech lock press, dies and components for what he usually reloads. Done the same thing with Lee turret presses for two friends over the years. One has kept at reloading for a dozen or so years now and one reloaded for a short while then stopped. This shortage is different in that I've had more non family members ask than normal. I tell them the same thing, go online and figure out what powder you need, get primers and bullets and I'll show you how to reload on my presses. Only ever had one guy take me up on that and he is the one that I gave a Lee turret press, dies, an old scale and measure to that still reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    Lately I have been asked by every TOM ,Dick and Harry if I would reload shells for them an of course they don't have any supplies . Is this happening to you guys also? I have learned to say no in a nice way.
    This has been the case for decades now...I have the perfect reply...it's 'YES'...

I say..."Sure no problem, I then tell them the components to bring and next tell them, I'll show 'you' how to load your own."

Since 75...I've had '0' takers on my offer.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    I tell them to bring lead, primers, powder, and brass over and I'll show them how to cast, coat, clean/prep brass, and reload.

I give them a "shopping list" for their desired caliber and where I usually get the stuff. ---------

Only 1 person showed up with a mixed lot of 1500 primers and brass so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    I tell them to bring lead, primers, powder, and brass over and I'll show them how to cast, coat, clean/prep brass, and reload.

I give them a "shopping list" for their desired caliber and where I usually get the stuff. ---------

Only 1 person showed up with a mixed lot of 1500 primers and brass so far.
    Yah Jim....just as I suspected.
    All these 'so-called' 'friends' are really just a bunch of 'freeloaders'.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    Coworkers ask me that all the time. Of course they never want to buy any components and think I'm the free ammo guy.

I have a good friend that is in recovery. We finally did an intervention and so far so good. Very painful process for all of us.
    He is going on 3 months sober and I am hopeful that he gets it and stays the course.
    As kind of a thank you for his hard work on recovery, we have a standing range shooting session every Sunday afternoon at 4....as long as he is clean and sober. He always wanted to go shooting before but I did not as long as he was drinking.
    I supply the ammo which really is not a problem for me. Since I am component hoarder, and shoot cast lead, we can shoot as much as we want. I have plenty of lead, powder, primers and TONS of brass. I am happy to do this for him.
    He laughed last night as he was reaching into the ammo can filled to the top and loading his Ruger 9mm mags....these 9mm's are like popcorn....just grab a handful and go to it!
    He is the only guy I reload for.
    Unless it gets really bad and ammunition becomes a trading commodity, I will stick with reloading for just that one person.
    Basically he is just shooting my ammo.
    He has expressed an interest in learning more about the casting and reloading process, but really doesn't have time to do it himself. He thought he might do the stainless pin tumbler and prep the brass for me. Hey....how can I complain if he does that?
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 03-15-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master

The bad thing is even if Joe and his family don't sue even if the reloads weren't the problem, but someone was injured the insurance company will if they find out.

In an true emergency I would reload for someone, but it would take a lot to convince me that I should reload practice ammo or hobby ammo for them. Ammo can still be purchased for all the common calibers. If all someone has is only odd calibers that ammo can't be purchased, they can buy a common caliber firearm if they don't want to reload themselves.

Boolit Master
    I reload occasionally for a few people, but the circumstances are always this:

Give me the gun for a few weeks to a month, depending on the situation and the time I have to spend on it. I'll spend some time working up a load that I think is safe, reliable, and reasonably precise. I'll send it home to you with one box of those reloads. For a semi-auto pistol that's usually 50, for a revolver it'll be 48. Rifles it's usually 20. Later, if I really enjoyed it making them, or I have a bunch of components I can't use for anything else, I might make some more and come over to shoot it with you.

That's it. I'm not your ammo guy, and I don't take orders. It's time consuming, and my time is worth more than the cost of factory ammo. I'm certainly not going to spend that time repetitively pumping out 9mm for plinking so that you can get ammo for cheap.

I enjoy working up a load for a new firearm, especially now that I'm casting. It's basically like a month-long course in casting and loading for the cost of components, which to me is worth it. I like the challenge of a new firearm to figure out. So, basically, I do it for me, not for them.

The only other time I load for other people to shoot is if, say, my brothers and I are doing a range day and we are all pitching in ammo. I'll load up a mess of whatever calibers I'm bringing, so they're being shot out of my guns anyway.

My best out for anyone asking me to load for them are the conditions above. "Sure, can do that. First, I'll need your gun for a month or two while I work out a load, and I'll give you a box of ammo. After that it's $1/round for my time plus the cost of components."

Or at least that used to be a good out. These days $1/round doesn't seem to give people as much pause.

My brother in law has several cool old guns. He's got a turn of the century revolver (currently in my gun cabinet) and lever action that he inherited, and I'll load a box or two for both of those, because he'll leave them with me as long as I want to get some period-accurate ammo for them. He's also got an old Mauser .32 auto (1914 I think) that I'd like to play with. So I'll load some up for him, for those guns, because that's the cost of being able to play with them. He'll even buy the mold or dies or whatever I need and pitch in on components (which I get to keep). None of them are plinking guns, he's not putting any volume through them, so a box or two each might last a lifetime. That kind of deal I'll make an exception for.

Ryan

Boolit Buddy
    I have helped many people get started handloading and I wish someone had done that for me instead of having to teach myself. They always bring components though.

I've offered to teach half a dozen or more people. No one wants to invest any time. They don't have an issue investing time or money to make a car louder or faster, or their tv or stereo system louder though. So it tells me, guns and ammo for them ain't very important to them. If guns is just an occasional hobby to you, then I won't bother with you. Guns is a passion and a lifestyle, like hotrodding cars.

Boolit Master
    I think there's a different mindset in those asking. Just about every reloader I know has self sufficiency in mind. But other folks are used to just spending the money they earn on ready to use goods without the ability to make such themselves. They assumed that those goods will always be available, and when their regular channels close it's not suprising that they'll look for others (especially if we've let it be known that it's a lot cheaper), but still with the idea of buying what they need rather than providing for themselves. And on the other hand we reloaders may not be keen on reducing our own self sufficiency by using up our components and wearing out our equipment for the sake of others needs and wants.

So, setting aside the liability (which IS a big issue) I'm not suprised at the asking, nor at our reluctance, nor at our opinion of these non self sufficiency oriented folks.

All that being said, I'm not personally self sufficient enough to survive TEOTWAWKI. Too reliant on black box technologies and don't have the all skill sets necessary.

Boolit Buddy

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Just yesterday I was asked by an acquaintance about selling my reloads or loading for him. I politely explained one, can't without license, and two -- my reloads are "inexpensive" because it's MY HOBBY and I don't count my time/labor into it. If I had to do that, then it would be a job and it wouldn't be inexpensive for someone else as my hourly rate ain't cheap!

He later asked, what could he do to get my reloads -- I told him, come shoot with me, you can shoot my reloads.

I've also had the similar responses from others as many of you have had -- come over, I'll teach you how to do it and you pay for the components (prior to unobtainable primers) and most did not take me up on it. There have been a few that took me up on it. They had an interest, they came over (some bringing the new press/dies/components they had bought), they learned and went home to continue loading. Some are still at it, though a couple have moved on to other pursuits.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Yah Jim....just as I suspected.
    All these 'so-called' 'friends' are really just a bunch of 'freeloaders'.
    Most get the clue when they can't find components. Charlie
    When they say don't you have components I say yes, I planned ahead, they are MY components.

You can still get most ammo from https://ammoseek.com/ --- but you will pay for it.

Boolit Master
    It has been my experience over years that most people are afraid of reloads. I have started a few people in reloading, even furnishing the equipment. One a stranger. The first thing I do is give them a book on reloading and insist they read it before going further. I have offered others the tools and instruction if they would come to my house. Still no takers.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I have ran in to the same thing. Co workers in CA that voted for Gavin Newsom and are complaining that it’s now illegal to drive to Nevada to buy ammo, and that there isn’t any ammo in Nevada anyways.
    One guy is pretty cool, so I told him jump on Calguns marketplace and buy some primers and then we’ll talk. He didn’t like the $150 per 1k price tag.
    Well I can’t help you bud. I’m down to 18k primers and literally making my own with prime all right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I think there's a different mindset in those asking. Just about every reloader I know has self sufficiency in mind. But other folks are used to just spending the money they earn on ready to use goods without the ability to make such themselves.
    Yep. That reminds me of a Dentist I used to know. He was a big time shooter, and wanted to get into reloading big bore
    rifle ammo because handloads tended to be more accurate if you did your part.

I explained the process to him. He thought about it awhile, and said,
    "I think I need to sell a couple more crowns, and keep buying that Weatherby and Norma ammo".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.