Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 acp and 255gr bullet for revolver?

.45 acp and 255gr bullet for revolver?

Hey all I hope this is the right place for this out of the ordinary question. I just bought what was supposed to be a Colt New Service in .45 Colt, turns out it's a 1917 in .45 acp, and I have all this .45 Colt ammo I loaded several years ago! Oh well. I have .45 acp brass, some moon clips, and dies. Now the problem is the only mold I have is a 255gr RNFP, would anyone have any possible loads with unique or Bullseye I could use with this heavy of a bullet in .45acp? I'm thinking this may be a no go due to the lack of case capacity generating too high of pressures, I'd just go buy a 230gr mold but it doesn't look like I'm going to be finding one for a not ridiculous price right now. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by Kyle M.; 03-13-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

Peters used to offer a 255 grain load for the 45 Auto Rim.

I chronographed some of them and they averaged 730 FPS.

Some of the old loading books may have data for the powder and charge.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Kyle:

I have both the Lee 200 gr SWC and
    228 gr round nose moulds I could
    loan you, or a small supply of boolits
    if you prefer. These are from wheel
    weights and are not sized or lubed.

PM me if interested.

Fred in Danville

I use a NOE 454424 in the Auto case with 6.0 grains of Unique. These are shot in a Ruger Blackhawk. IIRC, Skeeter Skelton loaded 7.5 grains of Unique under a 454424 and ruined a 1917 S&W. I would certainly start low and work up.

Boolit Bub
    My Speer Manual (12th edition, 1994) shows the following for 45 auto rim:
    250 grs L-SWC
    Unique 5.8 grs 772 fps
    Max 6.2 grs 824 fps

Blue Dot 8.6 grs 789 fps
    Max 9.0 grs 824 fps

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Beware the heavy loads in the 1917 Colt! I use 4.2 grains of Bullseye with a 255 gr SWC in my S&W Model 25 chambered in 45ACP. It's a mild mannered pleasant load, with pressures suitable for the 1917.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^What ShooterAZ said!^^^^

I use Accurate 45-264H with 4 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Auto Rim and 3.5 grains in the .455 Webley MkII.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thank you all. There’s some good info and loads to try here. Yes I definitely want to keep them mild, this won’t be a gun I shoot a lot but I’d like to shoot it occasionally.

Well I loaded up 25 test rounds last night. 255gr RNFP sized to .452" and tumble lubed in X-Lox. I used ShooterAZ's load of 4.2 grains of Bullseye. I didn't drag my chronograph out but my findings were, pleasant to shoot, shot to point of aim at 10 yards, and no leading. I was a bit surprised at the lack of leading as the bore is a bit rough. It doesn't look like there's any pitting but it has a rough look to it like a machined surface that was done in a hurry or with a dull tool. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed when I got it so I don't think it's old leading built up. I would certainly think WWI era .45acp primers were still corrosive and it's likely a bit of 100 year old corrosion.
    Last edited by Kyle M.; 03-19-2021 at 05:06 PM.

I use 4.8 Unique with the Lee 255 FN nose in my 1917 smith, shoots great and hits hard, FPS is no more then 650fps

Boolit Master

OAL will make a big difference in pressure of these loads. For revolver use they can be loaded longer to make more powder room. I have loaded longer SWCs out to the crimp groove and even crimped them if using with clips............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I loaded the 452-255 RNFP for Moms 1917 .Speer listed data for a 260 HP in 45 ACP . Seems like it was 6.5 gr of Unique as a load was selected as the Lee mould drops at 265 gr with 50/50 I loaded them out to the top lube groove with good accuracy and hits about 6-8" high at 25 yd .

The S&W my Daughter has likes 5.5 gr under everything but doesn't care for the original or NOE version of the 454424 solid I loaded some in 2 different HPs but didn't get a chance to shoot them .

Seek Auto Rim data or Speer #12 for sure .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW I'm running 5.3gr Bullseye under a Lee 252 SWC (casts at 260) in my USP45. Super accurate but its a hammer and likely +P. USP's are rated for +P. Might be a little much for the 1917. Start low

Enjoy!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    FWIW I'm running 5.3gr Bullseye under a Lee 252 SWC (casts at 260) in my USP45. Super accurate but its a hammer and likely +P. USP's are rated for +P. Might be a little much for the 1917. Start low

Enjoy!

John
    Yes that seems a bit hot. So far I’m liking the 4.2 grains load. I haven’t tried Unique yet, I’m waiting on the brass I ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    OAL will make a big difference in pressure of these loads. For revolver use they can be loaded longer to make more powder room. I have loaded longer SWCs out to the crimp groove and even crimped them if using with clips............
    I’m currently loading them to the crimp groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    I loaded the 452-255 RNFP for Moms 1917 .Speer listed data for a 260 HP in 45 ACP . Seems like it was 6.5 gr of Unique as a load was selected as the Lee mould drops at 265 gr with 50/50 I loaded them out to the top lube groove with good accuracy and hits about 6-8" high at 25 yd .

The S&W my Daughter has likes 5.5 gr under everything but doesn't care for the original or NOE version of the 454424 solid I loaded some in 2 different HPs but didn't get a chance to shoot them .

Seek Auto Rim data or Speer #12 for sure .
    I’ll give that 5.5 grain load a try when my brass shows up. I only have about a half pound of Unique. But I have at least 4 lbs of Bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    I use 4.8 Unique with the Lee 255 FN nose in my 1917 smith, shoots great and hits hard, FPS is no more then 650fps
    I might have to give this load a try, I don’t need anything heavier than that for punching paper.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    Well I loaded up 25 test rounds last night. 255gr RNFP sized to .452" and tumble lubed in X-Lox. I used ShooterAZ's load of 4.2 grains of Bullseye. I didn't drag my chronograph out but my findings were, pleasant to shoot, shot to point of aim at 10 yards, and no leading. I was a bit surprised at the lack of leading as the bore is a bit rough. It doesn't look like there's any pitting but it has a rough look to it like a machined surface that was done in a hurry or with a dull tool. I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed when I got it so I don't think it's old leading built up. I would certainly think WWI era .45acp primers were still corrosive and it's likely a bit of 100 year old corrosion.
    Lots of 1917s were fired with corrosive ammo and not cleaned right away. I have heard the appearance you describe as a frosted bore. That is what I always think of when a bore won't shine up. I have one old Colt 1917 that has a pretty rough bore and it still shoots good and doesn't lead much. JMHO-YMMV. Enjoy your fine revolver.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

I’ve got three S&W m25-2s and one Colt 1917 in excellent condition. I wouldn’t shoot heavy loads in any of them. If Colt is in good shape it’s worth $1k or more and is worth buying a Lee mold for.
    I’m running all 45ar brass, I hate moons.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm surprised you have a decent point of impact with the heavier projectile. I had a S&W Model 25-2 that shot great with 185 and 200 brain bullets, but shot so high with 230 grain hardball the sights could not be adjusted for it.

Since I had free supply of 230 ball, I made a higher front sight for the gun.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I’ve got three S&W m25-2s and one Colt 1917 in excellent condition. I wouldn’t shoot heavy loads in any of them. If Colt is in good shape it’s worth $1k or more and is worth buying a Lee mold for.
    I’m running all 45ar brass, I hate moons.
    I have no intention of shooting hot loads in it. It’s in pretty poor shape honestly. Basically no finish, somewhat rough bore, all the military markings have been buffed off. But it’s mechanically sound and seems to shoot fine. The 255 grain mold I have is a Lee mold, I have enough moon clips now and regular .45acp brass that I might as well stick with it.

Last edited by Kyle M.; 03-23-2021 at 04:30 PM.