Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critters in the trash can

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no problems with wild animals outside, but not in the house. I also do not want to feed them.

One year the cats had ripped a hole in the screen door and I was a bit slow fixing it. All was fine until the coon came in. Hardware cloth was installed over the screen the next day.

Possums are quite likely the stupidest fur bearing animal still alive on the North American continent. My dog Buster, AKA the barking fool, has a head count well into double digits of possums that get into his pen. Too bad they're not worth skinning out these days.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The first time I took the girl I eventually married home to meet my folks, my mother took me aside, mortified because a possum had gotten into the attic and expired above the kitchen. Maggots had begun to feed on the carcass and occasionally one or two would fall out of the light fixture above the kitchen sink. My dad was too old and fat to get into the area where the darn thing had croaked, so he just waited for me to arrive with my future bride. I went up there to investigate and found that it had deteriorated to such an extent that the only way to retrieve it was with a garden rake and a flat blade shovel. I don’t know how I managed to get it out of there without horking but I did. My mother never really got over the humiliation of having my bride know they had a rotten possum in their attic.

Boolit Master
    "My wife has a third option ... Have-A-Heart live trap and relocation to another part of the Parish"

Again,,,,,,,,,,, THIS MAY BE ILLEGAL!"

And if you relocate an animal upon State or especially Federal property,, I know it's illegal.

Next,, if YOU own property,, would you want strangers placing THEIR problem animals upon YOUR property?

Of the species I can relocate,, I have to have the owners written permission to do so. Otherwise,, I can get into legal trouble. And if you want legal trouble,, just get caught with wildlife in your possession out of season, and especially on someone else's property.

And to poppy42 & any & all other ADC folks,, yep,, we could spend days swapping stories. Like the time I had a black gentleman freak out as he watched me talk a skunk into walking into my cage,, WITHOUT any bait. Fun times!

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Possums are quite likely the stupidest fur bearing animal still alive on the North American continent.
    Them, and armadillos may have to arm wrestle for that title.

Years ago, my Dad had left his garage door open--
    probably for about 6 months, along with the folding stairs going into the attic.
    He came home one night, and his headlights shined on a opossum as it ran up the stairs into the attic.

He figured, 'no big deal.'
    'I'll close up the stairs, wait a few hours until it gets hungry. Then open the stairs, and it'll run out'.

Well,,,,,,,,, It didn't quite work out that way.
    A few hours later, it dug a hole in the ceiling, and dropped down into his living room.
    Then things got real busy in the house..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned

We live way out in the sticks now for about five years now. Posums get a pass, coons get shot if seen. Coyotes too. Anything else is kind of situationally dependent.

I've gotten to where I really don't like to kill something without a good reason, but coons are just nasty.

I have asked more than one friend that "relocates " coons a few miles away, to paint a flourescent orange spot on the next one and see how long it takes to see it back in it's own territory. Caught a big male possum in a cage trap once and found it with it's fangs caught in the tight sloping door wire. It had lost the left lower fang. I managed to get him loose by bending one wire out of the way. Turned it loose with an admonition to not come back. Well, I had the trap set again a couple weeks later and caught the same possum again, I suppose it was the same one as it was hung up in the same tight corner of the trap as before and it was missing it's left lower fang. Another time coons were causing problems at the deer lease. I set two Dog-Proof Coon traps and wrapped the chain around a small pine tree and secured it. The other trap was fastened to another tree about sis feet away. Next morning early, I arrived to find one 2/3 grown female coon sitting there calmly with a trap on each front foot. Go figure that! It reached into one trap and got caught. Why would it not know to not do the same thing again. Only problem was I took no pictures or videos of the event...

Boolit Master
    My 8 year old pit bull terrier caught a racoon eating the cat food the wife left out for the 6 stray cats that decided to make our home their home. Chairs, recliners flying all over the place as he tracked down and chased the racoon. If it wasn't so serious it would have been funny. And she has pics the dog treed in one of our trees. I've caught a couple racoons eating the trash in one of our trash cans. Frank

When we had a outside cat in the city, raccoons would come up and eat her cat food.

So I set a havaheart trap for them. As I was going to work one morning, the wife told me,
    "I heard the trap close...... and we ain't eating it"!

Later on, I told my buddy about it. He wasn't exactly the best person to go to for a lot of sympathy.
    He told me, "Serves you right for marrying a city girl".

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    There used to be a man not far up the road who fed feral cats. Lots of 'em. Then there was a rabies outbreak. The state sent pro exterminators to eradicate the population. I don't know what they threatened the old man with, but his critter feeding days were over. He died a couple years later.

Possums are infrequent visitors. Some years I see them around, and some I don't. Aparently it's been a few years, as the area is lousy with ticks. Been thinking about a small flock of Guinea Hens.
    I hate Guinea fowl. They’re loud, and obnoxious. My neighbor has 6, and they constantly come over my fence and disturb the peace. I researched them. Dry, gamey, dark meat. I’m going to put an end to these varmints.

The guinea fowl make a fine gumbo! I ate quite a bit of it growing up.

Boolit Master

There was a big flock of turkeys that would roost across the road, fly down to the brook at dawn, and then split into two groups and work the countryside on both sides of the road searching for food. Never had an issue with ticks. I still see turkeys around town, but they've moved their roost. If I had a choice I'd take the turkeys and all the fertilizer that came with them.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    I have one option, the trash can. Garbage trucks come on Wednesday.
    I shot a skunk that had gotten under my deck and set up residence. Garbage man was coming the next day so I propped it in the can like it was leaping. Garbage guy opened the lid and the swearing started. He was a friend so he knew I was the guilty party LOL He knows I dislike spiders so he scooped up a daddy long legs ball on a cold day and put them in the can. Sun on the can warmed them up and when I opened the lid spiders went every direction! Yeah swearing ensued...time to get him back again LOL

Boolit Grand Master

We have had something tearing up the bird feeders the last few nights. Its probably a coon. Its time to set the live trap again I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    We have had something tearing up the bird feeders the last few nights. Its probably a coon. Its time to set the live trap again I guess.
    We've got the same thing only it's deer. Figure they must be pretty hungry enough to lick bird seen out of those little holes. They've only broken 1 feeder this year knocking them around like a pinata. Funny to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Figure they must be pretty hungry enough to lick bird seen out of those little holes.
    Like the squirrels do-
    They claw at the feed blocks where they are against the side, and catch the seeds in their mouth.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Years ago had a have a heart trap for coons, caught a few but one night watched out the window as the big coon went in enough to have the door fall on its back, the smaller one went all the way in and got the bait . Drug it out and they both ate, talk about Smart. Had 2 at different times when a kid in the 50’s early 60’s. House broken, got shots and even sat in my old high chair at the table, one of the best pets one could have had. Nowdays cant have any wild critter for a pet unless you have some kind of license.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    The first time I took the girl I eventually married home to meet my folks, my mother took me aside, mortified because a possum had gotten into the attic and expired above the kitchen. Maggots had begun to feed on the carcass and occasionally one or two would fall out of the light fixture above the kitchen sink. My dad was too old and fat to get into the area where the darn thing had croaked, so he just waited for me to arrive with my future bride. I went up there to investigate and found that it had deteriorated to such an extent that the only way to retrieve it was with a garden rake and a flat blade shovel. I don’t know how I managed to get it out of there without horking but I did. My mother never really got over the humiliation of having my bride know they had a rotten possum in their attic.
    And she still married you ... That Is Real Love !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Opossums ain't much to look at, but if you have them around- you probably won't have very many ticks or snakes in the yard.

They are a vacuum cleaner for ticks, and immune to pit viper venom.
    They eat them both.

There's no shortage of them here, and in 5 years, we haven't seen a single tick on any of the dogs.
    Unless you have horses.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Probably wouldn't have the racoons except my wife leaves out dry cat for the strays that have taken up residence. Found 6 new born kittens in between the screen door and wood door for the laundry room. two were dead and fed and watered the 4 that were left. Had Bob out in the am but no noise from the kittens. Went to check and all I found were pieces. Skulls crushed and no flesh inside. And not much left either. Two double grocery bags inside out and scooped up every thing and in the trash. So either possum or racoon did them in. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I shot a skunk that had gotten under my deck and set up residence. Garbage man was coming the next day so I propped it in the can like it was leaping. Garbage guy opened the lid and the swearing started. He was a friend so he knew I was the guilty party LOL He knows I dislike spiders so he scooped up a daddy long legs ball on a cold day and put them in the can. Sun on the can warmed them up and when I opened the lid spiders went every direction! Yeah swearing ensued...time to get him back again LOL
    Yeah, my best friend, from 1963 to 2009, when he passed, would set cats, possums, and nutria in an upright position like they were alive. Back in that day, we had guys on the back of trucks. His dad got a visit from a supervisor from the solid waste Dept., stop this or we won't pick your trash up. LOL!
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.