Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Looking for .44 bullet

Looking for .44 bullet

I have a Taurus .44 Magnum Tracker that I am considering casting for. I was considering the 429421 but I see in a Lyman manual that the OAL is 1.710". I am presuming that is dictated by the location of the crimping groove. From the front of the cylinder to the recoil shield of the revolver is only1.680". Due to all the data available for that round with that bullet I would like to find a bullet with the crimping groove in the same place in relation to the base but with a shorter nose, which could be a little fatter to maintain the nominal weight. My thought is with the same weight and case capacity 429421 data could be used without significant worry. I am looking at the Accurate 43-240E and it looks like it should work, are there any other thoughts, from experience, not conjecture?
    Thanks,
    Dennis

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    A .44 magnum case is 1.285, and max. overall cartridge length for your gun is 1.67", so, you want a crimp to meplat length of .375-.380". FZor a lighter, compact gun you might want to consider a lighter bullet. I like this one in my 3-inch S&W 629 with 8 grains of Bullseye

Attachment 278864
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For your Taurus you need a bullet with a crimp groove to meplat length of not over .375" Accurate has several.

Attachment 278865Attachment 278866
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Thanks Outpost75, That is the same line of thinking I had, to get a bullet shorter from the crimp groove forward. I've had the gun a year or so, it came with about 100 rounds of Grizzly Big Bore ammo. 300gr at 1325 is printed on the boxes. That load is a little stiff for me.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    If you will go to the Accurate Molds website posted in post number 5 there should be no reason why you can't find a mold.
    Tom will even "tweak" existing designs too. I have had him do so.
    I occasionally seat the "Keith" bullet to 1.560" OAL in 44 Magnum cases and use 44 Special loads in my 44 Mags. From nice mannerly 44 Special loads to the heavier 44 Special loads. One can even go higher in 44 Magnum guns.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 03-03-2021 at 09:18 AM.

Boolit Man
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=43-233H

I have been using this mold with great results using the Skeeter load in my 44 spl Bisley. Inside an inch at 50 feet. At present I am leaning toward Alliant 20/28 over Unique as it meters a lot better and groups just as well.

Boolit Man
    I did ask Tom to eliminate the bevel on the base. It also works well in my 3" GP100.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Since this is a REVOLVER the location of the crimp is only critical in the context of revolver recoil. Therefore, you can crimp anywhere you wish as long as it will retain the bullet in the case under recoil. If you like the 429421 bullet and/or already have the mold or access to those bullets, reduce the load a grain or two and seat the bullet to the OAL you desire. There is no law that says you have to crimp in the crimp groove. Heck, you can push the bullet in far enough so the crimp would be like crimping a full wadcutter.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Thanks everybody, I wanted to use 429421 data because it is such a time tested bullet and data is in everybody's manual. To do that, I wanted the same internal case volume and the crimp groove in the same place from the base of bullet. I know bullets can be crimped elsewhere but want this to intuitive if I ever load another batch. So the crimp groove becomes the datum line for my purposes. Same depth below crimp groove as 429421, .370 max. above groove, 240 nominal weight become my parameters. So perusing the Accurate site I see the 43-240E is within .008" of Lyman below crimp groove, less than .370 above crimp groove and weight is correct.
    Thanks again for the thoughts,
    Dennis

Boolit Master

The machine cast 240gr swcbb sold by most of the commercial casters is a good choice for short cylinder guns. I use it in .44spl over 7.5gr of Unique or 8grof Power Pistol and add 1gr to each for .44 Magnum..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek