Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Report: 96-year old Winchester 38-40

Boolit Master

Range Report: 96-year old Winchester 38-40

Well, after four months of no serious shooting, I figured it was time to get to the range and try out a new powder. I've been very interested in IMR SR4759 for the reason that it seems to give a pressure curve very close to black powder. Here's a report on the results of my first two loads, which turned out to be a bit conservative.

Rifle: Winchester Model 1892, made in 1913

Caliber: 38 W.C.F., also known as the 38-40

Original Black powder ballistics from 1896 Winchester catalogue: 180 grain pure lead bullet @ 1,268 fps

Load #1: 15 grains of IMR SR4759 under a 180 grain RCBS FN PB bullet sized to .401
    Load #2: 17 grains of IMR SR4759 under a 180 grain RCBS FN PB bullet sized to .401

I'm proud to say that I cast these bullets myself (just started casting last fall)!

Chrono results of Load #1: 974 fps with an E.S. of 27 fps and an S.D. of 12 fps (5-shot reading)
    Chrono results of Load #2: 1,094 fps with an E.S. of 105 fps and an S.D. of 35 fps (10-shot reading)

Here's a photo of my old 96-year old 38-40 ....

First off, I tapped the rear sight over a tad, since previous trips to the range showed that it was hitting a bit to the left. To see if I'd adjusted properly, I set up a target at 50 yards and I fired off two rounds that had not been neck sized at all. The bullets were loose in the neck and held in by the crimp. I didn't want to use these in my official test, so I used them as sighters. The two bullets were very close to dead center laterally so I set up a target at 100 yards. Interestingly, the two bullets that were loose in the necks gave me exactly 100 fps more velocity than the same 15 grain load did when I sized the neck halfway down to the shoulder.

Load #1 Results at 100 yards:
    First off, I was amazed at how slow the velocity was. Ken Waters lists 1,153 fps for the same load. Mine putted along at a sedate 974 fps. The rear notch is a small notch within a larger notch, making the top shoulders of the sighting notch not well defined. As a result, my vertical hold was a bit dicey. After 8 rounds fired into the 100 yard target, I had a horizontal spread of only 1 & 1/2", but a vertical spread of a whopping 4 & 1/4". I'm sure it was the problem of the poorly defined shoulders in the rear sight notch. I will have to do some work on that notch. Anyway, here is a photo of the target .....

Load #2 Results at 100 yards, 5 minutes cooling after first 2 shots:
    I tried a lot harder to obtain some sort of consistency with my vertical hold on the rear sight notch. After two shots, I headed down range to take a look. It was encouraging, so I went back and fired off the remaining three rounds for this set. Again, I was surprised at the low velocity I got compared to Ken Waters for the same load. He got 1,339 fps and I only got a measly 1,094 fps. The necks were still sooty, so I'm definitely not getting a very high pressure with this load. I got a decent 5-shot group of 2 & 3/8" (100 yards with open iron sights). Still possibly a bit of vertical spread, but I was pleased. Here's a photo of the target ....

Load #2 Results at 100 yards, 5 fairly quick shots, no cooling:
    Finally, I decided to crank out 5 shots in a row with no cooling, but still with reasonably careful aiming. This group was not too bad, 5 shots forming a 2 & 7/8" group at 100 yards, but it was spread a bit more horizontally. I wonder if it was from a warming barrel. Here's a photo of that target .....

Concluding thoughts:
    Ken Waters lists the max load for Group two rifles as 19 grains of IMR SR4759. I don't know if his batch of 4759 was different from mine, but I do know that his batch would have been a sight older than mine, just bought this past month. I really want to develop a hunting load of around 1,500 fps. Next loads will be 18 and 19 grains of SR 4759. If I can't get 1,500 fps with the 19 grain load, I may have to go with 2400. I see I still have to tap that dadgummed rear sight over a wee bit more.
    Last edited by KirkD; 03-04-2009 at 05:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure you know already, but just in case...You do know you can move the front sight the opposite of the rear to get the same effect? I have to do this occasionally. I prefer both to be moved just a little, than just the rear to be moved a notceable amount.

I would be delighted if I were you for first run out. A little more powder, and the necks will seal, and I bet accuracy will improve. Not much to complain about right now though!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I'm sure you know already, but just in case...You do know you can move the front sight the opposite of the rear to get the same effect? I have to do this occasionally. I prefer both to be moved just a little, than just the rear to be moved a notceable amount.!
    My front sight is dead center, but my rear sight was a little bit to the left, so I'm glad to be able to tap it to the right. A wee bit more to the right and it should be pretty well centered, and the bullets should be hitting pretty much dead center as well.

KirkD - Beautiful rifle and nice write-up. That same rifle is coming to me some day from my FIL, so I find your load data and experience very interesting.

Please post more as you work with this rifle in the future.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkD View Post
    My front sight is dead center, but my rear sight was a little bit to the left, so I'm glad to be able to tap it to the right. A wee bit more to the right and it should be pretty well centered, and the bullets should be hitting pretty much dead center as well.

Aaah, Perfect! There is not much that irritates me more than sights that need to be drifted WAY off to one side. It tells me something wasn't screwed together straight.... It would appear they knew what they were doing 90+ years ago. Nowadays on the other hand...

Moderator Emeritus

Well done Kirk, glad to see your casting efforts aren't going to waste.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Boolit Mold
    I always enjoy your pictures!

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Good Report !
    One thing to remember is these older 1892 Winnys had to be able to handle Black Powder loads Still for sale throughout the U.S. So you will probably find a GENEROUS chamber / throat area. This was done so follow up rounds would still chamber without undo force needed on the lever to chanber the round.
    My 1892 Winny SRC made in 1893 has a throat area that slugs .432+ . Some of this Excess diameter is from erosion but it is NOT that ruff. It will shoot Cast/Black powder loads reasonable well a good while (with a .427 standard diameter Winchester mold boolit) before needing a wet patch. But with smokeless (Unique) my Winny needs a .432+ boolit if I want good acccuracy.
    If you have not Slugged your chamber/throat area I would recommend it. I did not see that info included. These rifles are capable of very good accuracy with a properly fitted boolit.
    God Bless you
    Last edited by missionary5155; 04-04-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    I slugged my bore but cannot find the slug and paper right now. However I recall it was around .4005 groove diameter. I've not got a chamber cast of throat area. However, if it can give an 8-shot lateral spread at 100 yards of less than 2", I'm happy. I just need to get a better sight picture when it comes to the vertical. I did try .403" bullets, but they gave poor accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like you have a good one !
    For a bettter target why not try a upside down T.... The verticle bar will give you a precise right & left and the Horizontal gives a deffinent up and down. About the only time I like to use the circles is if I am shooting a rifle with peep& circular globe front.
    I have several 38-40īs up in Illinois and I use mostly Unique... there are MANY Good powders to choose from (thankfully) but I bought a bunch years ago and happily I have not run out yet.

Boolit Master
    That upside down 'T' sounds like a good idea. That might help a bit with that blurry rear notch.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up 38-40

is grossly underrated! so, thank goodness, command slightly lower prices than the 44-40s. Another interesting side bar is that I've become convinced that potential buyers whether they realize it or not simply have been brainwashed into thinking the 44-40 is much more macho than the 38-40... at some level thinking the 44-40 is a true 44 cal and the 38-40 is a true 38 cal (or even 357 cal )

No matter, the 38-40 in the 92 is a very nice combo. As to tinkering with your load?.... those groups at 100 are very, very good! Seems like it will be tough to get much better. They are especially good given the use of the factory barrel sights. The only way I could improve shooting with some of my old levers was the addition of a tang sight.

Boolit Master
    I certainly agree with your view on the 38-40! I'm glad I finally 'discovered' it. As 405 hints, the '38' is a bit of a misnomer, as is the '44' in 44-40. The former is a true 40 caliber and the later is a true 43 caliber.

405, I do have an original tang sight sitting here waiting to be installed, but I just need to get some screws to attach it. I'd really like to see what this rifle can do with a tang sight.

The photo you took of the rifle on the deer skin is absolutely gorgeous. Are you a professional photographer? The lighting, color contrast, and composition are wonderful.
    If you get a woman involved in the shooting sports you have involved her whole family. This in turn dramatically increases the number of people who support the 2nd Amendment. Please support women in becoming shooters.

Are you going to be there? http://secondamendmentmarch.com/

Boolit Master
    Reddot, thank you for the compliment. I'm not a pro. I'm just a fellow with a pocket digital camera (an old Canon S-50). I have to confess that I took a bunch of photos until I found one that seemed alright.

Boolit Buddy
    Kirk,

I too enjoy your posts. Photos, data, and a true love of Winchesters!

My favorite rifle to carry is the 38 WCF '73--my Great-Grandfather's. Many contented days walking trails in the woods.

Kirk,
    Thank you for the range report. Nice vintage rifle, write up and pics! Perhaps your lot of 4759 is a bit on the slow side(?). In my .44-40, 17/4759 pushes a 205 gr. cast bullet to almost 1,300 f.p.s. I do use a 155 Federal magnum primer though.

Hope the 19gr. load works out for you.

w30wcf
    Last edited by w30wcf; 03-05-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the report and pic Kirk. Those old '92s have a aura about them that's not matched by most anything else. That is some fine shooting with open irons and I find myself wishing for my younger eyes of the '70's. At that time, I thought it was nothing to shoot a good score with my muzzleloader at 100 yards.
    JDL

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    KirkD,

I'll go along with Reddot on this one. Lovely photo. I saved it as the beckground image on my computer, hope you don't mind.
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead melter View Post
    KirkD,

I'll go along with Reddot on this one. Lovely photo. I saved it as the beckground image on my computer, hope you don't mind.
    You are welcome to use it as a background image. In fact, if you would like a high res version good for a large monitor, PM me with your email address and I'll email you the hi res version. Glad you like it.