Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Remington and Marlin Brands

Boolit Master

Having worked for both a union and Ruger firearms, I can say with confidence that the union will do everything in its power to destroy the company and move jobs to non-union states while blathering about worker's rights and voting for Democrats, and Ruger will oblige them by moving resources and jobs to either Arizona or North Carolina and not worry one bit about disaffected workers in NY.

I have a Marlin 1894 made in 2018 that I have been planning on selling since it is a giant *** compared to my JM 1894. It will be quite entertaining if it actually gains value due to being one of the last Marlin-made rifles. I was going to take it to the local gun shop and sell it on consignment for $500 and hope to get rid of it. Perhaps I should hold onto it a couple of more years and see if the value increases.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    that $500 price tag you thinking of putting on a remlin 1894 might just be quite low there are a surprising amount of people who have high praise for the Remington made marlins and are willing to pay for them. I find it shocking but true as a big spaghetti western era marlin fan.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Ma...573847571.html

Still hoping for a 1 March start. Moving machinery up from Huntsville. 870s first, then Model 700s. At least a year before getting to full production. Still talking to the Union, with just a few little things to work out.
    "We want to stay here, because that's where the workforce is." I wonder, the plant has been shut down for four months. How many of the old employees who were highly skilled are still available?
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 02-23-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Having worked for both a union and Ruger firearms, I can say with confidence that the union will do everything in its power to destroy the company and move jobs to non-union states while blathering about worker's rights and voting for Democrats, ....
    Right. Up to about the 1920s, big industrial managers tended to view employees as disposable parts on some sort of assembly line. Labor unions because necessary for desperate employees to limit the abuses of many big companies.

Politicians quickly realized the potential of money and "free" labor for their election programs from unions. The management of big unions made a tacit deal with the Democrats and laws were passed to benefit UNION labor (but not every worker) and the downhill slide to corruption between politicians and big unions began. But, much good came from it ... at first.

But, when a rational balance between the forces of labor and capital was made (about 1947) the big unions continued to extort ever increased benefits simply because they could. Thus, the big unions have long been a cancer on the backs of the paying public. Someone has to pay for everything the unions win and the public pays ever increasing prices for everything they need.

So unions demanded more and more and the whole U.S. economic structure ratcheted up in the continous inflation cycle we still live with.

Big Unions have less attraction here than they have in other places; we know that big nothing is the "working man's friend", including big unions. People in the south are less likely to surrender control of their lives to any big power group.

We prefer to have jobs with reasonable compensation instead of being unemployed at twice as much. Jobs make it easier for us to feed our families than no jobs.

The South's industrial economy is pretty strong today. Well, except where Dem politicians do the most to help the otherwise helpless and hopeless professional welfare big city ghetto people get larger welfare checks.

.... and Ruger will oblige them by moving resources and jobs to either Arizona or North Carolina and not worry one bit about disaffected workers in NY.
    Right again.

Unlike so many of our well fed "northern" friends, we hordes of political independent "deplorables" in NC, SC, TN, TX, GA, AL, LA, FL happily welcome those companies considering coming here to provide good non-union jobs for our unemployed and underemployed people.

Fact is, jobs/no jobs, unions/no unions, BIG daddy Democrats/non-Democrats, we all have to make life choices for what seems best to us and then live with the results of our choices, hopefully without whining to everyone else about how unfair life is. !

* The Stars and Bars still fly. Most people don't even know what the Stars and Bars look like and the more educated they are the less likely they are to know. That's not the people's fault, it's just another ignorant failing of "modern liberal" education.

God help us, the U.S.A. is in deep poo again. It was the overreaching of power hungry Northern politicians - at the calling of big money guys - that led to the fracus of 1861-65 and they are doing it again. Resist ... and hang onto your wallets and firearms. At the rate and direction the Dems are going now we may be needing them both sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by 1hole; 02-23-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I wonder, the plant has been shut down for four months. How many of the old employees who were highly skilled are still available?
    Probably most of them, there's not exactly an abundance of jobs in the area, especially for their skill set.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...ed/ar-BB1ef9Xk

March 1st start up didn't happen. Union is trying to keep the old contract in place, and oddly enough RemArms doesn't seem to be inclined to do so.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If, Remington goes with keeping the union workforce and union contract in Ilion, the only way I see it being possible is with a specific product line and intended market. Drop the economy gun lines (783, 597, 700 ADL, Express models, etc.) as they are simply not feasible for such an expensive place to manufacture them. Produce only deluxe and higher end models of respected models that people are willing to spend a higher price tag on, such as the 700 BDL and CDL, 870 Wingmaster, and so on. Offer plenty of calibers and options to go along with them. Quality and attention to detail should be the order of the day rather than getting product out the door. There are still many people who will pay a handsome price for a gun that is done right, go after this market. Let other firms chase pennies in the low cost gun market. Just look at Kimber, this is exactly what they are doing.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe ruger bought the marlin rights so the new start up may be longer if equipment has too be moved and or training done.

On remingtons line the new owners need to start over build a quality firearm with good fit and finish. One that works first time every time and is accurate. Rebuild the name and reputation. I also think a reintroduction of the popular old rifles. 1 a year like the old classic line only the actual rifles Hepburns, Rolling blocks, the model 8, would also go a long ways. Think about 721s 722s and the ones mentioned available from manufacturer in modern materials available again. This to include the scaled down boys rifles in 22 LR.

I dont remember of hand who got remingtons rights but they have a long road to hoe getting the name and reputation back up,

Boolit Master
    They have a long road just to work out something with the union.

While I'd hate for all those folks to lose their jobs I think the union bosses in that area are not helping their members.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    If, Remington goes with keeping the union workforce and union contract in Ilion, the only way I see it being possible is with a specific product line and intended market. Drop the economy gun lines (783, 597, 700 ADL, Express models, etc.) as they are simply not feasible for such an expensive place to manufacture them. Produce only deluxe and higher end models of respected models that people are willing to spend a higher price tag on, such as the 700 BDL and CDL, 870 Wingmaster, and so on. Offer plenty of calibers and options to go along with them. Quality and attention to detail should be the order of the day rather than getting product out the door. There are still many people who will pay a handsome price for a gun that is done right, go after this market. Let other firms chase pennies in the low cost gun market. Just look at Kimber, this is exactly what they are doing.

Close the doors. Tell the Union thank you very much. Move all machinery to one of the States from the old Confederacy or the Plains/Western States (Not Kali/Oregon/Washington) - offer interviews to all old workers and small relocation package for those selected to move to new location; and "Hire Local" at new site. Quality and profitability will both dramatically rise.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Would be fine except for the purchase contract from the bankruptcy court.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://wibx950.com/when-will-reming...-back-to-work/

The re-hired workers are told the opening is delayed, no new start date provided yet.

Union is making some progress on getting some money out of the old company for stuff owed at time of plant closure.

Latest twist: "Bankruptcy documents also show that Roundhill is still in a dispute with the old Remington company over assets, machinery and licensing that was part of the bankruptcy sale, where Remington's holdings were split up between six companies. Roundhill purchased the Remington firearms business, excluding the Marlin brand, for $13 million."

Boolit Buddy
    Remington should move to a gun friendly state that welcomes them and has a good base of skilled labor. TX, AZ, ID, FL, TN, MO, etc. Lots of states better than NY to start up manufacturing.

Boolit Master
    Why do people keep speculating on what Ruger is going to do with Marlin when you can go the the Ruger website and read it from Ruger's mouth?

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Ne...574075601.html

Having apparently blown past the 1 March reopening date, RemArms gets permission to move their purchased machinery out of the Alabama plant and up to New York. No word on how the negotiation with the Union is going.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Well, that would indicate that they still intend to make a go of it in Ilion. I have to say, didn't the state of Alabama give them all kinds of help to open the Huntsville plant? I'd say they are not feeling to good about that deal right now!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Well, that would indicate that they still intend to make a go of it in Ilion. I have to say, didn't the state of Alabama give them all kinds of help to open the Huntsville plant? I'd say they are not feeling to good about that deal right now!
    If you want to see the nuts and bolts of how Alabama got sucked into the Remington mess, here is a pretty good write up: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...untsville.html

Beware, it's the NY Times, so there is plenty of "World ends, Women and minorities effected worst" shoehorned in there.

Short story: Alabama offered Remington all sorts of incentives to fill up an empty industrial park, meanwhile Cerberus (boo! hiss!) as the owners of Remington, took out a quarter of a billion dollars in loans, put Remington's name on the paperwork, then pocketed the cash and ran.

Anybody want a good deal on a slightly used industrial park? Anyone?
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 04-02-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Re...574123071.html

RemArms and the union come to an agreement. 45 workers are to start next week, with the rest of the 200 required by the terms of the sale to follow.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Good to see something concrete is starting to happen. I wish all involved, the best of luck.

I hope that they bring back the 20 Gauge Express Youth right off the bat. Such a handy shotgun.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast