Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: To our Northern Members

Banned

everybody should have these three essential things. First a generator. Preferably one that will run on gasoline and propane Second is one of those non vented wall heaters. You can pick up one at lowes for less then 200 bucks. Put it in room out of site if you dont want it in the living room. Heck i even made one up with a stand that was poratble. Then get yourself a 100lb tank or 5 20s. between that propane and the gas you should allways keep in case you should be able to get by for a couple days running the generator only when its needed. the heaters need no power. I have propane for heat. So i have my generator set up to run on gas/propane out of a bottle/ or my big hog. I can run the portable heater off either propane sorce. i have a line comming up in a bedroom it can hook it to or i can carry in a bottle and hook it to that and move it to anywhere in the house i need heat at that time. It will pretty much heat the whole house if its about 20 and keep it warm enough where i dont freeze or the pipes dont at below zero temps. dont cheapen out when you buy one though. Buy a generator at least 5000 watts and buy the biggest heater on the shelf. Wood stoves are great to for times like that but just make sure you dont buy one that relys on electricity to run. Mine has a water pump and a electric controlled damper to control temps. I can bypass the damper but it still needs to pump hot water to the heat exchanger.

Good that at least some of you folks have heat and power restored. You never want to experience it again, but do it more than a few times and you plan "what ifs" and make the solutions happen. The straw that broke the camels back for us was an ice storm that we had (central Maine) that deposited, no exaggeration, 4" of ice on everything. Power lines can't take that load, trees and tree limbs can't either. The entire area was devastated. We were actually more prepared than most folks since we'd already been through a number of these, just not to this degree. The ice became our water source and we did stay warm. But homes are built tight today and burning hydrocarbons builds up moisture. Our walls and ceilings were where it condensed. The first night after the ice storm stopped, 3 days after it began, the temp dropped from the 20s down to -80 with the wind chill. It was after that 5 + days that I vowed to never allow that to happen again. Now we can be without anything from outside for a very long time and not feel at all deprived of anything. OK, not having live TV, radio, and the internet sucks, but I mean other than that. We have 3 major ways of producing heat now in addition to the way we did it all those years ago. Plenty of fuel for all of them, and 2 ways to produce electricity. If I lived in hurricane alley I'd be just as prepared just not with so many heat sources (it's not your fault that you don't have them).

Again, being cold and in the dark sucks bigtime. Glad to hear that it's being restored. Do you folks think that the left learned anything from the experience?

FWIW, this is what heated our home and melted ice and we cooked on it all those years ago. OK, mantle lanterns also helped. But this thing did the heavy lifting. There are very few moving parts. They're fairly small and work great.
    https://www.lehmans.com/product/alpaca-kerosene-cooker

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    It’s been below -30 with wind chill here. Negative single digits for the last 2 weeks. It’s all fun and games till your minnows freeze up on a heated porch!

Snow plowed my sidewalk and my neighbors the other day on my four wheeler. The only thing I didn’t have covered was my ear and my face. I think I got frostbite on the ear and my eyebrows were solid chunks of ice after about 20 minutes. I couldn’t imagine being without power when it’s this cold.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-18-2021 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    it aint no fun freezing, that's fur dang sure. hope y'all keeping warm

Just a little tip for an emergency heater....try a terra cotta pot heater...but instead of a candle...use a large tub of crisco shortening and put a wick in it. The tub of shortening is said to burn up to 45 days and will heat a small room.

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terra-cotta-heater.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	277917

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    First off, Hoping things get better soon weather wise for you all soon. Seems so odd to me that states like Texas and Oklahoma that have been flaring off natural gas for most of my life can now be shivering and even dying in the cold. Seems some idiot somewhere (I'm guessing Washington D.C.) has convinced all at the power authority down there that windmills are a much better source of power. Time to stop listening to idiots and go with what you know!. Gp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    totaly agree. As much as i hate below zero I hate about 90 even more. About all i do is walk 75 feet from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned loading room or air conditioned vehicle. Id rather poke sticks in my eye then go to the range when it humid and 90 degrees.
    Major difference between us Southrons and Y'all: if it is 90 and 90 - degrees and humidity; get me a pair of cut-offs, a box fan, and a cold beer, and I am as happy as a dead hog in the sunshine. I hate winter time.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Well some of us have water back we have a boil before use order but I can love with that. I to look for warmer weather.But we made it through another without to much damage.Just a broken pipe and loss off some can foods that froze inside of the house. Haven't gotten to the Green house yet??
    Who would have thought?? It's never been that cold here in TEXAS.No Power to the house for heat won't happen again,L.p. Fireplace will be running before sunset today.wife is picking up more propane as I type this, Humm breaks over time to get back to the Honey Do list. Hope the rest of you are back to running normally
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

USMC 77, USRA 79

i been trying to resist the urge to chime in here on my boolit brothers parade...

just another day round here for us Northerners...

Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    i been trying to resist the urge to chime in here on my boolit brothers parade...

just another day round here for us Northerners...

All I can say is Bless your hearts!
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

We were blessed, no loss of power, further south near the coast, so not so bad. We got freezing Temps for about 3 days, by that, it didn't get above freezing for 3 days. Last year was the winter that wasn't. Just never know. I have propane heaters, bottles and a small generator for freezers and refrigerator. Been thru a few hurricanes, the old Boy Scout motto comes to mind. You can freeze loaves of bread, gallons of milk ahead of time. It's just like the component shortage some suffer right now. You gotta think beyond today.
    Last edited by gbrown; 02-20-2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Correction
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master
    "the old Boy Scout motto comes to mind. You can freeze loaves of bread, gallons of milk ahead of time. It's just like the component shortage some suffer right now. You gotta think beyond today."

And that right there is the answer to the oft-asked question of why lots of folks rush out and buy up all the milk and bread at the first sign of a storm warning!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    Yep, that's what you have to do if your not prepared ahead of time. One should stay prepared all the time not wait for an oncoming storm.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackthorn View Post
    "the old Boy Scout motto comes to mind. You can freeze loaves of bread, gallons of milk ahead of time. It's just like the component shortage some suffer right now. You gotta think beyond today."

And that right there is the answer to the oft-asked question of why lots of folks rush out and buy up all the milk and bread at the first sign of a storm warning!
    Nope, sorry you think that way, mine was bought long before that. Boy Scout motto was not for 3 days before, it's for always. Guess what's still in My freezers?
    Last edited by gbrown; 02-21-2021 at 12:44 AM.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

I still really have no idea what they do with it?

Oh wait, now I do.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    totaly agree. As much as i hate below zero I hate about 90 even more. About all i do is walk 75 feet from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned loading room or air conditioned vehicle. Id rather poke sticks in my eye then go to the range when it humid and 90 degrees.
    In my old age I've come to the opinion that there's only one good month in a year. Two weeks in the spring and two in the fall.
    You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
    Winston Churchill

81 degrees here today. For those that thought the truly cold weather snap would kill snakes and bugs- think again. My son sent me a pic of a 3' moccasin sunning on the creek bank. Skeeters and ticks and grasshoppers will show up soon.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I was plowing along in NH in an ice storm, the pines over me broke brought down the wires. Was Fourth of July in February so I backed out of the mess. I went and plowed snow elsewhere. Here in the retirement village, my snow peas are a half foot up, and the melons zuks and beans just showed. I need more global warming for the habaneros, but everything else will be up in March. The Bouganvillas died back in the two nights of frost, roses are budding. Whyever would anyone live where it rains ice?

Boolit Master
    Chinook! Just that one beautiful word.
    (But it brings a little mud and flood)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk