WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Anyone loading the NOE 225 61 RN in the .222

Boolit Buddy

Anyone loading the NOE 225 61 RN in the .222

Hi Guys, As the title says, I have a Remington 722 in .222 look for a HP mold the NOE is just what I want
    but will it stabilise in the 1:14" twist,
    I really want a HP bullet of at least 50 grains, I also have a 1:8" .223 but prefer the .222 for cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    I haven't shot any lead in my .222 yet. I have the same rifle. It is a tackdriver with 50 grain varmit soft points. I have some 55 grain cast up for it but due to illness haven't had time to work up a load.

I look forward to seeing how this goes.

Boolit Master

I don't have a 222 nor a NOE 61. I have a .223 with 1 - 12" twist and the NOE 225-62 RN designed plain based for powder coating. My loads for 1 - 9" and 1 - 10" twist 16" barreled rifles at 2250 FPS. What works for the 16" rifles gives me 2450 FPS from the 24" 1 - 12" twist rifle. I have not yet approached working up loads specifically for the 24" but will, using both the NOE and the Lyman 225-415 55 RF.

Slower twist is supposedly better for lighter bullets, faster for heavier. When I started as a LEO, our carbines were 1 in 10" and we were shooting 42 grain Federal Blitz ammo. When the military started issuing heavier bullets, the company that made our carbines switched to 1 in 7" twist which would not stabilize the lighter bullet. Lets just say, the 42 grain 'patterned' in the faster twist. My agency switched to 55 grain ammo, problem solved.

I have plenty of both boolits cast, just not the powder for more velocity. I am at book load near max, I just quit when my rifles said they were happy. Why add more sugar when the cake is already sweet?
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

kiwi

I load these boolits for my .222 (a Rem 788) the 1/ 14" twist works great

NEI 22-54 GC
    with gas check seated .646" long ~ weight 60 grains ready to load.

Lyman 225462
    with gas check seated .626" long ~ weight 59 grains ready to load.

Ideal single cavity 225438 HP
    with gas check seated .492" long ~ weight 41 grains ready to load.

Ideal single cavity 225415
    with gas check seated .550" long ~ weight 50 grains* ready to load.
    *note: originally the 225415 was a 50 grain boolit…much later it was changed to a 55 grain boolit.

I use an alloy mixed from wheel weights + 2% tin plus an equal weight of pure lead. should result in approximately 8-9 bhn alloy

it will stretch your wheel weights twice as far, and only add a few dollars to your alloy cost.

if your barrel is a little rough, you can heat treat the boolits in an oven at 465º for a half hour then quench in tap (cold) water…size / lube / gas check as soon as dry. result in approximately 15-16 bhn alloy. allow a few weeks to fully harden up.

now once you have your boolits cast…you should (really need to) cull them under a good light. look at them like they owe you money. any flaws is just reason to recycle them next cast.

front band must be perfect, drive bands…perfect !

base, crisp and square !

if not…re-melt them with a vengeance. or cry at your flyer ! your choice !

size to fit the throat, less ½ a thousandth of an inch

you want a M die spud that is .002 smaller than boolit size with a step that is .001 larger than your sized boolit. adjust to accept about ½ of the gas check.

seat them to engrave the front band, no need to crimp.

This should get you started, at least down the road.
    God Bless ya'll
    Greg

Je suis Charlie

"You can observe a lot by watching."- Yogi Berra

Shooters Talk Refugee