Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Recommendations on moulds for a couple rifle calibers

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Recommendations on moulds for a couple rifle calibers

Well, it’s come time to start casting for some of my rifles not including my 45-70 which I already cast for. I’d like to start off with one of my 30 calibers. Most of my rifles are designed for high velocity bullets so I know I have to slow it down a bunch. I’d like a boolit that will shoot in my Win 300 mag. The mould would most likely need to be a GC design. What mould would you folks recommend? I’d like to get a mould in steel blocks for long life. I’d be interested in a mould for a 7mm too. I have a 7mm STW that I’d like to cast for. I know that I may be getting into a paper patching area with these two calibers but for the time being. I’d like to try a GC cast at lower velocities. Later on I might try a couple other calibers.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

Boolit Master

Can't hep ya on the big boy, or the 7mm, but for the .30s go heavy. I am in love with the castability of the Lee 180gn .30cal. I paper patch it and it is a dream to cast, size, wrap, size and fire.
    We are talking full tilt loads with that casting. It is a gas check design, but I do not use gas checks.
    Water dropped wheel weight, both melt, and molt real hot.
    I am probably around 1000 patched rounds so far out of my .308s, and O3-A3 with that mold.
    That round, paper patched with a starting jacketed load charge for the 300 Winny, would most likely be magic.
    My castings, wrapped, sized to .309 are in front of 40.4gns of Surplus 4895. I can put 10 from a rest in the 10ring at 100yds. I cannot get any touching except by accident.
    One is an heavy barrel, two are MilSurp.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by docone31 View Post
    Can't hep ya on the big boy, or the 7mm, but for the .30s go heavy. I am in love with the castability of the Lee 180gn .30cal. I paper patch it and it is a dream to cast, size, wrap, size and fire.
    We are talking full tilt loads with that casting. It is a gas check design, but I do not use gas checks.
    Water dropped wheel weight, both melt, and molt real hot.
    I am probably around 1000 patched rounds so far out of my .308s, and O3-A3 with that mold.
    That round, paper patched with a starting jacketed load charge for the 300 Winny, would most likely be magic.
    My castings, wrapped, sized to .309 are in front of 40.4gns of Surplus 4895. I can put 10 from a rest in the 10ring at 100yds. I cannot get any touching except by accident.
    One is an heavy barrel, two are MilSurp.
    I plan on using this same boolit and rifle I have about 300 cast now and have used the imr 4895 for jacketed boolits before with good results could you elaborate on the paper patching process for me I was thinking I was going to have to buy the extremely high priced gas checks so this looks mighty good to me for a cheap alternative.

Super Moderator

.................For your 30 cal I'd use any of these Lyman's:
    190gr 311644,
    195gr 311679,
    200gr 311299,
    210gr 311284.

For Lee it would be their C309-200. For the 7mm I'd suggest their 7mm-168.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

In Remebrance

RCBS 7mm-168FN, 30-180FN.

Moderator Emeritus

I think everyone should try the Lee 113 fp, aka soup can. It shoots well from 22 lr velocities to 2300 fps in my 30's. i don't shoot much with it but paper and a few ground squirrels but it is balanced, it appears to be a short, 30 cal version of LBT's 180 fn 358 cal boolit.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Thanks for the replies,
    I've decided to try the 311679. I'm getting in on Pat's GB on the check maker die set too.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

IMO there are really only about 3 really different choices in .30 caliber: 311041, any Loverin, or any borerider. 041 does well in guns with little or no throat, boreriders can generally be made to shoot in most any gun that will chamber them by Beagling them so that the bore riding part is a very snug fit, and everybody says Loverins (like 311466 or 311467) are great for about anything. I haven't convinced myself of the latter, but the first two fit my experience.