Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turning round nose into plat point?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm curious about the method. Did you just put a cast bullet on an arbor press and squish a flat spot on the nose? Did you use a die to hold the bullet and maintain diameter? I'm a life long machinist/mechanic/tinkerer and I like to check out different processes I run across. Some have come in handy...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Just make sure they chamber easily. Sometimes the ogive can enlarge, or with the addition of Powder coat, the nose of the boolit may engrave the rifling and make chambering a round difficult.

I sometimes file off the tip on a couple of pointy-type boolits to use for hunting purposes. You only need a couple for hunting, so it is not a big issue. They seem to shoot just fine for me.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by boog View Post
    I have the arbor press set so the handle will stop at the same spot to hopefully be consistent with every nose flatten. I don't think I want all of my rounds to be like that, though I was curious if the larger flat spot would create a meplat of sorts for defensive rounds.
    A flat point is usually better for self defence, but it would depend on velocity and alloy.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I'm curious about the method. Did you just put a cast bullet on an arbor press and squish a flat spot on the nose? Did you use a die to hold the bullet and maintain diameter? I'm a life long machinist/mechanic/tinkerer and I like to check out different processes I run across. Some have come in handy...
    I just put it on the arbor press and squished a flat spot. Then took it to the sizer and ran it through again to see if it felt different, it did not.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    A flat point is usually better for self defence, but it would depend on velocity and alloy.
    I'm using a mix of old wheel weights, a little range scrap and linotype. I can't wait for warmer weather to get out and test some rounds.

Boolit Master
    I've done this with the Lee .312-185 boolit. I use it for my M-N carbine sized .314" and my 30-30 sized .311". It's too long to cycl thru the Marlin action so I had a friend turn a bushing that slides over the boolit and is the proper length for the Marlin. Tap, tap, tap with a small hammer and a RNFP boolit pops out!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Moderator Emeritus

A long time ago I bought a trim die for a 265 diameter cartridge and file trimmed flats on loaded 311413 bullets. I could never get them to an acceptable group but probably should have slowed them down. I have successfully bumped noses flat on the 358430 195 gr rn that shot well. Let your groups complete your ideas not the internet.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze