Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: case forming, the stupid way

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    I purchased a used Vanguard in 300 Wby locally. Guy said he had a partial box of ammo with it. He handed me a box of 300 Win Mag with a few rounds missing. When I mentioned it to the guy he said that is what the man at the gun store told him he needed. I'm simply amazed at the number of supposed gun store guys who don't know squat about guns! Anyway, rifle was fine but I didn't fire any Win Mag in it.
    Once I went into one of the big chain firearms retailers that is known for selling used items they've taken in on trade. I was looking for a S&W pre-model 10, one that was sold back in the day under the name "M&P revolver" which is what I asked for. The gentlemen looked at me and said plain as day, S&W has never made a M&P revolver.

Once in awhile you can catch one of those events before it happens.

I used to know a guy who had a lever action in .38/.357 when they were pretty rare.
    He went to the range with a friend who brought his .30-30.

Later on, his buddy 'had gotten to thinking' and told him he was going to start shooting .357s
    in his lever action for target shooting since they were so much cheaper than .30-30s.

My old buddy asked him,
    "What do you think is going to happen when that 38 caliber bullet tries to run down through that 30 caliber hole"?

Then there was the classic, "Oh. I didn't think about that".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    When Reloading for 44 Magnum and 45 Colt I used cast in the 45 Colt and jacketed in the 44 Magnum to help keep them a part it still bothered me so I sold the 44 Magnum and don't keep any 44 around every one in the family shoots 45 Colt some guns are strong and some are not every thing that gets loaded here is using the data for the weaker guns.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by bimus View Post
    When Reloading for 44 Magnum and 45 Colt I used cast in the 45 Colt and jacketed in the 44 Magnum to help keep them a part it still bothered me so I sold the 44 Magnum and don't keep any 44 around every one in the family shoots 45 Colt some guns are strong and some are not every thing that gets loaded here is using the data for the weaker guns.
    Hmmm.. You cant chamber a 45LC in a 44MAG and the other way around it would be venting gasses even before the bullet left the case and said bullet would'nt even be touching the .45 rifling.
    Whats the main problem???
    Or are you inventing a non existing problem???

If this trigger you then ponder firing a 50BMG in a standard 12 gauge!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaK7D4XVo8

Boolit Buddy
    RE: 300BLK in .223. I may have been extreme but I left my .223 with the factory black color and had the 300 BLK coated in FDE and use FDE colored mags so if the color doesn't match don't shoot. I once, being aware of what I was doing, tried to chamber a 150gr BLK in a 223 chamber. The bolt did not want to close, I didn't let the bolt slam forward either. I think maybe a 110gr or 125 gr might chamber I haven't checked. Now all I have to do is make sure nobody puts the wrong shells in the wrong mag.

^^^^^ Same here^^^^^ I also wrote "300" with a Sharpie on all my Camo painted mags for my Camo painted .300BO. All of my 5.56 ARs use black plastic or original finish metal mags and black stocks.
    I removed the firing pin from my first 5.56 at deer camp and chambered a 110 gr .300BO cartridge in it slick as snot to show the guys and kids what NOT to do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have started to sharpie marking all my magazines so when I'm gone there will be NO MISTAKES.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    I will confess to my own moment of stupidity..... when arriving at the range with my son one day, I set up to shoot my two 44 magnum single actions. Everything went fine, except accuracy wasn't what I was used to. When I started unloading the empties, they didn't want to come out and some were split. That was the day I learned that the 41 mag
    Has nearly the same rim diameter as the 44, and on later research, the 45 Colt. I've been much more conscious of headstamps ever since. It's amazing what you can learn by accident!
    guess a marked box would be best.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago my brother came to visit to shoot our .45 LC SAA's. He had forgot his ammo so stopped by Cabelas to pick up a few boxes. About halfway through he had a smoky strange round go off.

In a factory box of ammo was one .44 Mag.

It caused no harm but he doesn't forget his ammo anymore.