Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50-70 Brass

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Who knows when Starline will produce more? Almost three bucks a case seems a bit much to me.
    Colt, they say .... If you want to dance, you have to pay the fiddler
    In your case, unless you intend to have a 50-70 rifle as a safe queen, your going to have to pay the fiddler because your looking at a long time before 50-70’s will be back in production by all the vendors.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Mold
    I don't have any 348, so that's out. I think the cheapest I've found is the 50 Alaskan for a little over a buck a case. I could get twenty or thirty to hold me over.

cwtebay - Yeah, guess I said it wrong - didn't make a whole lot of sense. But from what I read, the 348 was the parent of the 50 Alaskan. That's probably why the Alaskan rim is smaller - it's the same size as the 348.

That's good to know the 348 will work - I'll be on the lookout. The tricky part seems like it'll be cutting it to the right length since the total length is into the necked down section.

Boolit Mold
    What I meant was that the 50 Alaskan was derived from the 348 win.

My only question about using the 348 is deciding where to cut it since the full length is into the necked down section.

Since I can get 50 Alaskan for a little over a buck a case, that makes the most sense to me.

Boolit Mold
    John - true, the fiddler must be paid. However, I don't have to hire the first, and most expensive, to come along. I've seen prices as high as $4/ea when Starline sold them for $1.15/each originally. I've learned over the years that if I have the time and patience to shop I can usually get what I want for a decent price. When you have to buy those snow chains near the pass, you're gonna get raped. I do have time since the gun is in the mail and I don't have primers or bullets either. And even then, it's not like I'll starve if I can't go out and shoot a buck with it tomorrow.

Do you really think Starline won't be producing any more cases once production comes back up? Not being snarky, I just have no prior experience with situations like this. I would venture a guess that this case isn't a high demand item, so would probably not be one of the first to be replenished, but as far as dropping it completely - I sure hope not.

[/QUOTE]
    I've read that the 515141 Lyman is the way to go, but looks like I'll have to purchase new (I NEVER buy new stuff if I can help it) since used aren't showing up in my searches. Glad to hear it's working well for you. I've never cast bullets, much less shot a BP gun, so it's all new to me. Exciting![/QUOTE]

there were 2 on ebay in the last week, i almost bid on one but didnt think i really needed another one since my FIL doesnt shoot that much and i make them when i cast slugs and maxis for my BP

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 70 s 45%.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	274570

The Lee 50-450 mold shoots very well in my Sprinfields, it is very close to the original military bullet.

I used .348 for years, it works fine but is a little on the small size at the base so your brass will have a bulged appearance and I occasionally had problems with the extractor slipping past the rim. IMHO you are better off in the long run to buy some Starline cases and they will last for a very long time.

Tom

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee 515-450 is actually a closer representation to the original Government bullet, than the Lyman design. Lyman has drifted quite a bit over the years.

Boolit Buddy
    Brownells has Star-line 50 Alaskan in stock $105 ~100.
    Bill

Boolit Master

Just a matter of time, Starline will catch back up. Keep your eyes open for an opportunity till it's back in stock. I'm waiting for the same caliber and several besides. I'm patient, it will be a great deal colder in a different geographical region before I would pay 4x the regular price. Just my opinion, others will differ. Good luck on your search and welcome aboard.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Mold
    You can try Liberty tree collectors 27.00. for 20

i load the 515141 for my FILs trapdoor. im gonna PC some of the batch im making for him now and see what he says. i think they will look cool purple or john deere green, maybe might do some of those and the standard red , black and blue so they look like skittles in the ammo box

Boolit Master
    BAD *** WALLACE, where did you go after you shaved? LOL!! just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    BAD *** WALLACE, where did you go after you shaved? LOL!! just kidding.
    Rorke's Drift?
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Mold
    Looks like Liberty tree collectors is out of stock. Too bad. Maybe someone jumped on them since you posted?

The bullet barn has them, but not cheap, putting it mildly. But they do have them. Maybe the prices aren't bad afterall - those are Canadian dollars - a 20% discount for me. But then there's the shipping and customs. I bought some lathe tools from Canada in Nov and they're still en-route - stuck in customs in San Francisco.

Pacomdiver - damn! wish I'd known the molds were listed on ebay. I do recall there being one, but it was close to the same price as new.

How's the Lee 515-450 holding up? I've heard the aluminum and brass molds don't work as well as steel - or was it that they don't last as long?
    Last edited by WinchesterColt; 01-08-2021 at 12:35 AM.

I have been using brass and aluminium moulds for over 40 years and cast thousands of boolits!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    Rorke's Drift?
    ATTA BOY, kick them FUZZY WUZZYS A$$'$. or am I in the wrong battle? either way I am proud of you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I have been using brass and aluminium moulds for over 40 years and cast thousands of boolits!

I too have used, CBC molds for, 30, 40+years and they were the only ones who had a mold for the 7.35 CARCANO, at .300 DIA. in stock.

Boolit Mold
    The 'new' rolling block showed up today and I'm a bit disappointed. It's a Pedersoli Remington Rolling block in fifty caliber.

First off, the seller said there were two little spots of rust in the barrel. I wouldn't call three inches of rust in the muzzle a minor issue. And then there's a patch of rust mid barrel as well.

There is pitting, so it's not just surface rust. But who knows - it might just shoot fine.

The other issue is I didn't know Pedersoli made a version as a muzzle loader. Was that one of the first rolling blocks before cartridges, or a Pedersoli creation?

I was wanting a breech loader. Is it possible to convert it?

Demand you money back, immediately! I've been a Pedersoli fan for 40 years and I've never heard of a muzzleloading 50cal rolling block. If it was a breech loader, there can be no reason to have any rust in the bore if it has been properly cared for. My 50/70 has had over 3000 rounds of black powder and the bore is mirror finished.