Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good reference for S & W revolvers

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    My Model 19 S&W will last almost forever if I use it with 39 Specials. However, the original owner shot 357 Magnums and the high velocity 125gr HP loads split the rear end of the barrel. The N or L frame S&W revolvers don't have the thin flat at the rear of their barrels, so will be much more durable.
    “ 39 Specials”...is that like a .38 Special +P?....:
    Mould forth, and load in peace.

Boolit Master
    A lot of it for the K frames price depends on how nice you want it to look there are a lot them around with a lot of holster wear and many of these are in great operating condition.
    Some that are worn on the outside can be had for a great price with a careful check of operating condition.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    I was hoping to spend about $600, think that is reasonable? I started reading on the s& w forum today. Thank you for all your suggestions, Tom
    New or Used?
    Stainless or Blue?

For $600 there are a handful of used options that'd work. For new S&W's there's not much that'll be that price.
    The model 15 is probably the easiest to find in that price range in good condition. There are a variety of grip options out there that are interchangeable between the K and L frame guns.

Smith or Ruger. Whatever feels good in the hand. 3"-5". .357 mag gives more ammo options. Stainless is a Lot easer to take care of. I like the looks of blued with fancy grips. I would only look at guns with adjustable sights.You should be able to find something you like for your budget. Remember, this will only be your first .38 wheel gun. They can be addictive.

Boolit Master
    Here is a 4" 586-1 in my XXL hand. I find the gun well balanced and very comfortable.

Boolit Master
    Of all Smiths my favorites are the S&W Model 15 and the S&W Model 67. Four inch is the easiest to carry and in my opinion is the best all round barrel length. I can hit with a 3" but have to crunch down more to get the same accuracy as with a 4".
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Big question I still have is, do you want adjustable or non-adjustable sights? If non-adjustable, I’d go with the stainless K frame S&W (Model 65, I think) which is still pretty reasonably priced because so very many were issued to LEOs and many were carried much but shot relatively little. If adjustable sights are your preference, Model 66 or 686 would be my choice. The former if I planned to shoot primarily 38s, or the latter for a steady diet of Magnums.

I have average sized hands (and am getting old ) so I find the N frame Models 27 & 627 too big and awkward, more so than needed for the 357. This has been my experience, YMMV.

When I first saw the title of your query, I thought you were looking for books and was going to suggest the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson for information about all the models and the Kuhnhausen book on revolver maintenance. These two books are excellent for most shooters’ use if interested in S&W.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    You can get your choice of used revolvers at that price point. I love my model 28 and I don't think it cost that much. Prices might be crazy now though, not sure.
    Let me assure you--prices are crazy and availability is scarce. When Model 27's started selling for $1200 and up, 28's went to $800 and up for a nice one. Buying a gun of any kind now takes more $ than it should.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    Let me assure you--prices are crazy and availability is scarce. When Model 27's started selling for $1200 and up, 28's went to $800 and up for a nice one. Buying a gun of any kind now takes more $ than it should.
    It's funny you mention this, because one of my colleagues just came to my desk and told me he bought a 27 over the weekend in the rarest possible configuration for a price that'd shock you. He referred to it as his "theft." He did pay the gun store what they wished to have for it, and let me tell you, it was nowhere near $1200.

If I could only have that kind of luck! In my area, they are expensive -IF-you can find one.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Froggie- I would like adjustable sights. I will check out the Model 66. And yes, I am looking for a S & W reference. My Gunsmith/LGS owner is retired State Patrol, I trust him to treat me fairly. hc18flyer
    Petander- I really like the looks of your 586-1, be checking that model out too!

Boolit Buddy
    Within the last month, I purchase a S&W Model 67-5 "Combat Masterpiece." I paid $749.99 plus sales tax. My wife's Model 10 snubby was the same price purchased two weeks earlier (had to stagger paychecks).

Mine has adjustable sights. Hers does not. However, the S&W's with fixed sights are calibrated to be POA with 158 grain loads.

Tom, here is one of the best reference books on S&W guns I've found. It is a great read even if you are not a Smith and Wesson hound.Attachment 274146

586 and 686 are the same gun but blued and stainless. L frame 357. The 586 shown has magna grips on it. That's the name of smith and wesson large target grips.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-29-2020 at 12:12 AM.

I got a large bucket of S&Ws. All blue, P&R era adjustable sight models. Seems like a m15 with Target Grips is the short answer to OPs wants. M19 if 357 option is wanted. L frame next up ladder but extra weight and 357. N frame 28 and 27 are 357 and big guns just to carry for a 38sp. The m15 and m19 in 4” are common because of police issue. $600 will buy nice shooter. M28s service grade N frame have jumped $750 is nice shooter.

Boolit Master
    Have a look at Gunbroker. Once you learn to use the search and display filters you can view dozens of likely candidates and get a feel for pricing. I have gotten a couple good ones on "buy now" listings where the seller was obviously looking for cash flow.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Froggie- I would like adjustable sights. I will check out the Model 66. And yes, I am looking for a S & W reference. My Gunsmith/LGS owner is retired State Patrol, I trust him to treat me fairly. hc18flyer
    Petander- I really like the looks of your 586-1, be checking that model out too!
    Here is a 2 1/2" barrel 66-4 in the same XXL hand:

Aftermarket grip from Philippines...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    It's funny you mention this, because one of my colleagues just came to my desk and told me he bought a 27 over the weekend in the rarest possible configuration for a price that'd shock you. He referred to it as his "theft." He did pay the gun store what they wished to have for it, and let me tell you, it was nowhere near $1200.

OK... so what’s the rarest configuration and what’d he pay? Some shops don’t always price used stuff in a coherent manner.

I had recently purchased my first firearm, a S&W Model 10-5 K-Frame with a 4 inch pinned barrel in .38 Special. I got it off gunbroker for $450 (around $510 with tax/transfer fees), and it's in fantastic shape for its age, minus the holster wear. I was very lucky to get it at that internal condition and price, to be honest.

Much like you, I'd say my only mild gripe is that the stock grips are certainly meant for tiny people from the late 1800s that never ate their Wheaties. The military grips i got for it look gorgeous and print a lot less, but they aren't meant for large hands.
    My Model 10 with its original grips/stocks:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200911_030418037_iOS.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	274302

My Model 10 with Military Grips:

Name:	20201127_224417042_iOS.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	274303
    However, a very easy fix for my hands at least was a set of Houge Monogrips for the K-frame of your choosing. It allows for it to point a lot better and makes double action a lot more comfortable.

Name:	20201117_045206495_iOS.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	274304

My hands on the revolver for comparison.

Name:	20201117_060114997_iOS.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	274305
    I'd say that I couldn't be happier with my purchase overall.

VariableRecall - Thanks for your reply! I have been going back and forth on GB between m # 10 and 15(adjustable sights). I am also a little leary about buying an old revolver off GB? Glad you are happy with your purchase. Thanks for the pictures of the grips. Tom