Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Henry 357- whatcha think

Boolit Buddy

Henry 357- whatcha think

Got to paw a Henry 357/38 today and was impressed, anyone else got to play with one of these ???

Brother and I picked up a .357 Golden Boy for dads birthday a few years back. Beautiful gun, slickest action I could ever imagine. Also heavier than I could ever imagine with the octagonal barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    The brass Big Boys are too heavy at 8.68 pounds, versus 6.5 pounds for the equivalent Marlin 1894 Cowboy, which also has an octagon barrel.

Some might say that the extra 2 pounds isn't a big deal, but when you actually compare the two carbines the difference IS a big deal.

That said, the brass BB is a beautiful rifle.
    The action is a direct copy of the Marlin 336, shortened for revolver cartridges, but fitted with a concealed transfer bar safety in the hammer, so it's a reliable design.

Unlike the new steel BB carbines which are now being made with a loading gate, Henry appears to have no plans to make the brass BB carbines with one, which is unfortunate.

But, If you don't mind hauling that 31% of extra weight around in the field, and you don't mind the slightly awkward tube loading, it's a great rifle.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been shooting both my BBS’s in .357 and .41 for the last five years or so and they are a blast. I’m really thinking I need a new one with the loading gate, it would have to be a .357 since they aren’t making them in .41 yet if at all. Even with stout 180gr XTP loads it’s very comfortable recoil wise and definitely deer accurate. Of all my rifles these Henry’s are the most naturally pointing easiest handling rifles I’ve ever had.

Boolit Master
    I have shot a Henry 357 quite a bit , a fun and good shooting lever gun.

I never have fired one, just looked at one in store. I was shocked at how heavy they are. I've had several winchester 94 and marlin 1894c rifles for comparison.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree the weight of those rifles is more than I like. To me a carbine should be a light handy rifle.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Yes they are heavy! But my Big Boy brass in 357 shoots nice and feel so good I don't mind the weight too much.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    The interesting thing is that the brass receiver side loading gate .30-30/.38-55/.35 Rem/.45-70 rifle has a 20" round barrel and weighs 7.5 pounds in most calibers and only 7.09 pounds in .45-70. The Marlin 336 weighs about the same.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have had a Henry 357 Big Boy Steel rifle version for a couple of years. Mine is a beautiful rifle, butter smooth action and great fit and finish. I only shoot reloads in it - I found that the while 38 specials will feed, the 357 feeds the best so I have gone to use using the 357 brass and often load down to 38 special. I have a Uberti 357 Bisley as a "mate" so am working of a load that will work on both.

Yea . .. the rifle is on the heavy side but still not too bad. Originally I was going to order the carbine version but when I went to the LGS I use back in Michigan, they had the rifle vision on the rack and I liked it so well that I bought it rather than order the carbine version - and I have no regrets.

Edit: I should also note that mine is "pre-side gate" so it is the tube loading only version. That doesn't bother me a bit though.

Boolit Master
    ive got a big boy steel with 20" barrel. the more I shoot it the more I like it. side by side with a marlin 1894 very very close and Henry is still in business making very fine quality firearms, side gate or tube fed, when it comes right down to it it don't really matter that much, thing is, when it is aimed at something and trigger gets pulled it goes bang and whatever it is pointed at is shot.

Boolit Buddy
    When some shooters say that a Henry with tube-feed-only doesn't matter that much, I would say that this is a matter of personal opinion and of personal use.

Tube loading is time-tested in .22 rim-fire rifles so it is a viable system. And it is easier to unload, since the cartridges don't have to be shucked through the action, which can result in picking rounds up off the ground, or needing 3 hands.

But, being able to just slide rounds into the action is very convenient, especially at the range, where you often single load for targets and sighting in. In my experience, sliding 1 or 2 or 3 rounds through the loading gate is far easier than fiddling around with positioning single rounds through that small ejection port. And, loading 1 or 2 or 3 rounds into the tube port is a PITA if you are sitting down at the bench.

Having said that, I might still buy a Henry without a loading gate if the price was right.
    Last edited by Prairie Cowboy; 12-07-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I have the case colored carbine version.....absolutely love it....it is short and handy but is heavy with the octagonal barrel. I did put fiber optic sights on it as my old eyes did not do well with the buckhorn set.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I am smitten by my Marlin 1894c 18 1/2” barrel. It feels so well balanced and deadly accurate. It snaps up right to my shoulder for cowboy action so it would do the same for hunting. It would be my goal post to compare any other .357 lever gun.
    Last edited by smkummer; 12-07-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I own a recently made 1894c. Everything that you say is true.

I particularly like the fact that the ballistics are so good for the .357, despite the compactness of both cartridge and carbine. (158 grain JHP @ 1800 FPS with H110)

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    I’ve been shooting both my BBS’s in .357 and .41 for the last five years or so and they are a blast. I’m really thinking I need a new one with the loading gate, it would have to be a .357 since they aren’t making them in .41 yet if at all. Even with stout 180gr XTP loads it’s very comfortable recoil wise and definitely deer accurate. Of all my rifles these Henry’s are the most naturally pointing easiest handling rifles I’ve ever had.
    I concur with every thing you said about the 357 version. Mine is delightful with 180gr cast loads and they aren't low powered either.

Only thing I changed is the rear sight, I put a Marbles bullseye rear sight on mine. Works better for my eyes, and how I run the rifle.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Grand Master

It seems Henry Big Boy's vary more in weight based on configuration than just about any other lever gun. If you want light and handy, buy the steel frame carbine. They are around 6 1/2 pounds, maybe less. I've never found a lighter/handier lever rifle than this. If you want a heavy, soft shooting and pretty range toy, get the rifle length brass. 16.5" of barrel gets you just about all the speed you are going to get from a 357 magnum cartridge, so there is no real disadvantage to the carbine, especially if you get a scope. With peep sights, I could easily make a 100 yard shot on deer. The sights they come with are not that great. They are old school, almost buckhorn sights. Not the best for fine precision shooting.

Boolit Buddy

My Rossi 357 is very light weight compared to my Henry. Both run flawless.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Cowboy View Post
    When some shooters say that a Henry with tube-feed-only doesn't matter that much, I would say that this is a matter of personal opinion and of personal use.

Tube loading is time-tested in .22 rim-fire rifles so it is a viable system. And it is easier to unload, since the cartridges don't have to be shucked through the action, which can result in picking rounds up off the ground, or needing 3 hands.

But, being able to just slide rounds into the action is very convenient, especially at the range, where you often single load for targets and sighting in. In my experience, sliding 1 or 2 or 3 rounds through the loading gate is far easier than fiddling around with positioning single rounds through that small ejection port. And, loading 1 or 2 or 3 rounds into the tube port is a PITA if you are sitting down at the bench.

Having said that, I might still buy a Henry without a loading gate if the price was right.
    You can single load by opening the action and dropping a round in if you want.