Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What am I (still) doing wrong?

Boolit Buddy

What am I (still) doing wrong?

Mold is NOE 311-242. I don't get it. Is it possible my mold is too hot? I have the mold sitting on a hot plate set to medium. Lead is straight wheel weight set to 700 degrees. Bullet is dropping at .313 at the base. I'm sizing down to .310. I'm attempting to powder coat. The PC isn't coming out perfect but I need to get this stuff fixed first.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201210-180949.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	273019

What are you using to size? Looks like bullets run through a lubesizer crooked. Could be bent bullets from dropping them too hot or on a too hard surface.

Frost bullets is hot mold , for how the photo looks that it start with the nose and then work to the full bullet, once you start casting you do not need it on the hot plate just cast and let it cool a little . just pace yourself. normal frost bullets will not matter. I use them , I size and lube . I do not PC.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, sizing with lubesizer.

I'm trying to size before PC.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Frost bullets is hot mold , for how the photo looks that it start with the nose and then work to the full bullet, once you start casting you do not need it on the hot plate just cast and let it cool a little . just pace yourself. normal frost bullets will not matter. I use them , I size and lube . I do not PC.
    These are going to be subsonic 300blk. I figured PC would be better for that.

The frosting is from a little too much heat, and its just on the outside as if you'd spray painted them.

The high level of shine would be normal for sizing down .003.
    In a perfect world, it still does that, ya just don't notice it as much with a boolit that drops out of the mold looking chrome plated.

I'd drop down to half WW and half Lead, They should still be plenty hard.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-10-2020 at 08:58 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm more concerned with how far up its sizing.

Boolit Master
    If you are using a lube sizer, is it dry so you do not have to clean the bullets before powder coating? That is going to put a lot of resistance on that bullet going in and out of the die. If you are doing this to fresh cast bullets, you might be putting too much pressure on the soft alloy casting and that can give you the problem you are seeing. That is quite a bit of sizing down in one pass for a long soft bullet. Consider trying the Lee push through with a little lube to make it easier with less resistance which deforms the casting and by going nose first, there is less likely to be a bent bullet.

Banned
    Walker, mistake 1 is sizing in a lube sizer before PC, a little contamination on the boolit and the PC won't stick.
    You would need to boil out the sizing die and make sure it is 100% clean before sizing, check the entrance to the sizer for sharp edges -- if sharp, polish smooth

Try sizing after PCing.

what powder are you using?
    have you checked the heat of your oven?
    How long are you baking?
    Did you try the Hammer test on the PC to see if it was sticking before sizing

Boolit Grand Master

What do the noses drop at? Bore ride should be .300"-.301". My guess is you are sizing them crooked. I'm assuming you are using a fitted top punch. If so, it is not unheard of for a lubesizer to be out of alignment. Push through sizer, such as those sold by Lee and NOE, are superior.

How many cavities in the mold? The bottom example looks ok. The other 2 either aren't filling out or the cavity is not right.

On the other hand, if they mic ok and they're concentric, carry on with powder coating and shoot them.

I've been casting wheel weights lately and find 750 the sweet spot. Tin helps with fill out but your grooves look ok.

Boolit Grand Master

The bottom is the worst of them. That is supposed to be a bore riding nose.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The bottom is the worst of them. That is supposed to be a bore riding nose.
    Got it. Clearly, this is something I'm not familiar with. Carry on and I'll watch and learn.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE aluminum molds are overly coolant saturated when new. I finally got one of their mold to cast well on it’s third casting session. It had been owned by two different guys on this site, and at least one of them had cast with it before I bought it. I scrubbed it after each casting session with dish soap and a toothbrush.

Wash that mold out again. Heat it up, and then wash it again. Then hit it with some acetone or brake cleaner. And, I would smoke it one time.

When casting don’t get that mold so hot. Frosty bullets are caused by an overheated mold. To stop it you need to slow down your casting rhythm, or you can cool the mold.

JM

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee push through and used them on several different bullets before PC. One time it didn't work and I had a mess.

Lee says not to run a bullet without some kind of lube. Seems you have two issues here.

Yes, you are a bit too warm but a few frosty ones don't bother me. I find in any session I have some goldilocks, a few too cool, a few too hot and most just right. Perhaps just slow down a bit to find that sweet spot.

Then try to PC prior to sizing. Then you can use your lube sizer with no problems. Depending on the bullet, I may spray a little of my homemade case lube on a few bullets and it can help.

Let us know what helps.
    Last edited by Huskerguy; 12-11-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Boolit Master
    I've also been through issues with long skinny bullets. When the mold is too hot mine look like those. The bullets are very sensitive to mold temp compared to shorter pistol and rifle bullets. You'll need to adjust your casting cadence and maybe your alloy temperature to get the noses filled out evenly.

Once you get the bullets right, then work on sizing. You will have to clean everything out good. If there is any hint of contamination then I rinse mine in acetone before coating. Then I size again after coating. I also like to use NOE push through sizing dies.

Just as a warning. You may need to size the noses of the bullets as well to fit in your bore. Most molds are designed to be a slip fit without PC. The extra .001"-.003" of coating can cause them to not chamber. I size mine to .300 before coating, then .302 after.

Boolit Master
    I would make sure your mold blocks are completely closed. Then use an intermediate sizer die to size down in steps. You might PC before any sizing. The PC will stick better before you create that mirror finish you have in the picture.

I support all the other suggestions posted here as well.

You just have to change up your MO until you get the kinks out of things.

One change at a time, however.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Buddy
    You guys got me wanting a lee push through setup. But I can't find one in stock at a reasonable price. I hate 2020......

Ill play around with this a little more this weekend. I think I'm close. I've made dummy rounds last week that chambered fine. I haven't been able to test any out yet. My wife said I can't shoot in the house anymore

Boolit Buddy
    I have several of the Lee sizers so that is all I know. I hear very good things about the NOE versions. What I have found is the Lee sizers my need to be worked on to get the exact size you want. Lee tells me they are withing .005 of the actual number and I find that true to the smaller side. YMMV

Boolit Master

I was looking for myself and NOE has the .310 size kit in stock as of last night. That's the way I would go. Cheaper than the Lee in the long run when you want to do different sizes just buying the bushings. I use .310 for .300 Blackout.