Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been holding out on you guys, new to me old school Hi Wall varminter.

Boolit Master

Been holding out on you guys, new to me old school Hi Wall varminter.

About 5 weeks ago, I traded a board member out of a an Original Winchester Hi Wall, that had been gone thru, an beautiful case hardening applied on the whole receiver and parts, a new barrel in .219 Donaldson Wasp blue and installed. There was also some beatuiful marbleld claro walnut, I think, wood added for the forearm and stock. The stock has an adjustable cheekpiece, made from the wood also. To top it off, it has a old school T-16x fixed power scope, with duplex reticle, crystal clear glass, and tracks perfectly. I looked up some old load data that I had used 25 years ago loading the same round for a buddy of mine, and IMR-3031 was noted to start with any cartridge based on a 30/30 round. I loaded my old load, and seated some old Hornaday 52gr flat base match hollow points, that I bought about 15 years ago, 8 boxes for $5 each. After getting the scope mounted, took a few shots to get it zeroed. After getting it zeroed, I picked out a bullet hole, about 4 inches out from the center, and shot at it, and I egged it out on the bottom. Four more shots egged it out some more, but all 5 shots were overlapping to one degree or another, with a .380 diameter group from outside to outside. I have to admit, I did not like the stock design, but after shooting it, I see why it was made like it was. Right after this a buddy called me and I was telling how well it shot, he said I am on the
    way, and he showed up about 15 minutes later. I had left the gun set up on my shooting bags/bench in my carport. I had him look at the group I shot, and pointed out a bullet hole from a .270 on the cardboard backer, He shot one, and it barely marked the inside bottom of the hole. He then shot 3 more, with only 2 of them barely marking the hole, all in the same hole, with a tighther group than mine. He then turned around and aske me how much for it. I told him it would be for sale after my funeral! LOL. TBG will post some pics for me when he sees this. To my eye, this gun is an example of old school gunsmtihing excellence, from a by gone era, I hope you guys like it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    About 5 weeks ago, I traded a board member out of a an Original Winchester Hi Wall, that had been gone thru, an beautiful case hardening applied on the whole receiver and parts, a new barrel in .219 Donaldson Wasp blue and installed. There was also some beatuiful marbleld claro walnut, I think, wood added for the forearm and stock. The stock has an adjustable cheekpiece, made from the wood also. To top it off, it has a old school T-16x fixed power scope, with duplex reticle, crystal clear glass, and tracks perfectly. I looked up some old load data that I had used 25 years ago loading the same round for a buddy of mine, and IMR-3031 was noted to start with any cartridge based on a 30/30 round. I loaded my old load, and seated some old Hornaday 52gr flat base match hollow points, that I bought about 15 years ago, 8 boxes for $5 each. After getting the scope mounted, took a few shots to get it zeroed. After getting it zeroed, I picked out a bullet hole, about 4 inches out from the center, and shot at it, and I egged it out on the bottom. Four more shots egged it out some more, but all 5 shots were overlapping to one degree or another, with a .380 diameter group from outside to outside. I have to admit, I did not like the stock design, but after shooting it, I see why it was made like it was. Right after this a buddy called me and I was telling how well it shot, he said I am on the
    way, and he showed up about 15 minutes later. I had left the gun set up on my shooting bags/bench in my carport. I had him look at the group I shot, and pointed out a bullet hole from a .270 on the cardboard backer, He shot one, and it barely marked the inside bottom of the hole. He then shot 3 more, with only 2 of them barely marking the hole, all in the same hole, with a tighther group than mine. He then turned around and aske me how much for it. I told him it would be for sale after my funeral! LOL. TBG will post some pics for me when he sees this. To my eye, this gun is an example of old school gunsmtihing excellence, from a by gone era, I hope you guys like it.
    Was that a promise of a picture?
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Was that a promise of a picture?

+ 1
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Sorry for the delay, I was eating squirrel. +1 on the egg dip & panko, Sam! What a nice old school custom that is!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Wifi is iffy on the hill tonight, hopefully these come through.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Beautiful.

But; you'll shoot your eye out kid, better let one of the older folks take it and keep ya safe.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Personally, I’m thrilled to see an uncheckered stock in wood like that. I have a Browning lo/22h and it’s almost like vandalism to see how the checkering hides the wood’s beauty.

Boolit Master

Well worth a few hours wait. Beautiful gun!
    John
    W.TN

That sure is some handsome wood and the craftsman that put it all together deserves some applause. You are one lucky sob!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Over many decades I can say the vast majority of sporterized old single shot rifles I've seen were very crudely done. Occasionally I see some that are extremely well done, and yours is one of them. It's very obvious it's a professionally built rifle, and done up right.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I feel the same way about the rifle. I traded two pre 64 94 winchesters for it, one in mint and the other not, but both locked up tight, had great bores and shot great. I hated to let them go, but I never shot them much, and enjoy shooting my single shot rifles much, much more.

Boolit Grand Master

And the chambering is period also a old bench rest standard the 219 Donaldson wasp. A great rifle a great cartridge for a very useful handy and wonderful combination.

About 15 years ago I almost bought a custom high wall in 20 40 kraig it was built as a hunting carbine with a 18" barrel.

Boolit Master
    Sweet Mother McCreedy!

I confess I am envious as all get-out.
    That rifle is gorgeous, and with that .219 chambering and one-hole accuracy it's just too dang cool for school.

I love the classic single-shots, and they don't come much better than that!
    Congratulations!

Uncle R.

Beautiful rifle there koger, you have been making me jealous a lot lately with all these cool single shots you are acquiring.
    I found a nice custom Hi Wall similar to yours except it was all blued but it had a right hand cheek piece stock and I am a lefty.
    I wish I had you luck at finding these rifles !

Jedman

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle! You have to love a classic chambered for a classic!

Boolit Buddy

That is a great looking rifle! And a shooter to boot. As stated above a classic rifle in a classy chambering.

Boolit Master

That is one FINE looking rifle.
    A perfect example of wood and metal that shoots as good as it looks!

A little Herco behind a 225415 might surprise ya also!
    Last edited by TCLouis; 12-27-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    beautiful rifle that shoots beautifully .thats a great combination.

Boolit Master
    I love it. I have been on the lookout for a classy old varmint rifle

Boolit Mold
    Wow! you seriously have been holding out. I want one.