RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Did you print yours at .12 or .20? at .12, it's smooth as glass, and slides like it's got bearings! No slop mind you, just smooth. Will have to think of a way to lock it where I want it, but I sure don't want to glue it. Maybe something tiny under the big slider hole with a soldering iron tip. Will have to think first....don't want to ruin perfection!

One thing I noticed ... that at least for .308 and .223, the opening can be the same. I don't load bigger cartridges on a progressive.
    Honestly I think I printed it at .2, and that may be the difference. I a may tighten up the tolerance a little bit more.

The width of the hole fully open is the same as the dillon feeder, and I believe it will handle anything from .223 on up. So the slider really should only come in to play with things like .300BO. I also had a thought that my new long bullet collator plate could probably be used for 300bo brass very effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi,
    I'll certainly have a look. TBH, my math skills are also a little weak, so I'll simply adjust it in (just like in Artillery.)
    Ed
    Hi Ed,

Any luck with the new slide plates?

Long sweeper knocking out the vertical cases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Hi Ed,
    Any luck with the new slide plates?
    Hi Tyler,
    No sir. Unfortunately, they don't scale correctly. At this point, I think it best that you keep on working with your large body version and not worry about integrating with the original body design. If folks want to continue to use the older version, they can still use the original collator plate generator. It just won't be as slick as yours!
    Ed

That's definitely the easiest way and works for everyone. Although soldiers fell the right direction, 2 or 3 at a time is just looking for jam trouble....IMO it's best if they all fall horizontal first. I was a little worried a sweeper wouldn't be 100% effective tossing 2 or 3 soldiers at a time....nothing to worry about....good job as usual.

So this is kind of weird but for the first time in awhile I am not sure what else to design and my printer is idle. I know we talked about improvements to the APP mounting situation but not quite ready to take on that project yet.

Posted v1.1.6 just to reflect a few of the minor changes made.

Boolit Man

That's greatness @ long sweeper!! I absolutely have to try that. I'm printing the 300bo #11 bullet collator now. Will toss the long sweeper on another printer.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a question about the Dayton motor I got for the ETZGMP38 base.

Did you use the 4 screws that came with the motor or put your own washer/nuts on them? I think the screws on them hold down the metal plate so that might be a dumb question.

Also, there is a black plastic on the motor cylinder itself. Did you remove it? Is it just there for protection? I am just worried about overheating.

Thx!

Maybe this is a good time to take a little vacation....and eat turkey, load some ammo, and do a little shooting.

I'm redoing my proximity switch thanks to you sending me the specs on the outlet's twist connection....will print one tomorrow to see how I did.

Looks like this......has a twist connector on the top to connect to your rifle brass outlet, and another twist connector on the bottom to mate to your spring fittings. Maybe it'll work....we will see.....

I need to figure out how to make the flats smaller in my cylinders first.....so they look more round.....not that it hurts anything, but rounder looks better. Still have lots to learn.

One more thing..... I think printing at .12mm layer height I can print it all in one print instead of two.....IOW's sideways thread might have a chance. Hope so.....much easier.
    Looks great. Once you get it perfected maybe I can add it to my download?

We will see if it's worthy of that.....anything I make is for sharing if someone wants it. What do you guys think, should I fillet from the bottom to the tee to make it support proof?.....like a web connection?

Any ideas on making cylinder flats smoother? Think it has to be done in the cad software. I can smooth surfaces, but I haven't seen a command to smooth solids.....gotta be....just missed it somewhere.....I thought it was just a part of .stl's and triangles....then I printed TylerR's brass outlet.....wow!

Hi Ed....I see you got up early.....
    Last edited by GWS; 11-21-2020 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Master

Hi Ed....I see you got up early.....
    Good morning GWS!
    Yep, did my 2 miles early and started working on different things and got some parts printing. Regarding the "smoothness" of your drawings (and maybe your prints,) in OpenScad, there is a "$fn=" function that controls the number of facets, the higher the number, the smoother the render. Typically, using a setting of 50-100 will get cylinders/spheres pretty nice. See if there's a setting in your CAD that controls facets or resolution for cylinders.
    Ed

ETA: I see you found it!

Yeah! I just found it on the Autocad forum! Function FACETRES=10! Default is zero. Internet is a wonderful tool I wish we had 50 years ago....castboolits.gunloads.com is wonderful for letting this thread continue..... Experiment will show if I need to go to a higher value like 50 to 100....will let you all know.

Boolit Bub
    TylerR is there a listing of what components fit in the holes of your electronics box? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    TylerR is there a listing of what components fit in the holes of your electronics box? Thanks!
    Search is your friend

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4912466

Boolit Bub
    Time to add this to my notes lol. Thanks! At some point I might just post a wiki with all the information aggregated so far.

Quote Originally Posted by noacess View Post
    Time to add this to my notes lol. Thanks! At some point I might just post a wiki with all the information aggregated so far.
    That would be awesome!

Ohhh shoot I just checked out the shared bullet compatibly chart and I see someone added some new entries. Thank you!!!

Ohhh shoot I just checked out the shared bullet compatibly chart and I see someone added some new entries. Thank you!!!
    I put in something for 9mm

Btw, tried the collater plate but a bit smaller for the .32 acp bullets. Still getting stuck sideways. Bullets are 7.90 mm diameter. I went to 7.2mm. Still a no go. I’m curious how much smaller I should go. I need to leave a little wiggle room. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    I put in something for 9mm

Btw, tried the collater plate but a bit smaller for the .32 acp bullets. Still getting stuck sideways. Bullets are 7.90 mm diameter. I went to 7.2mm. Still a no go. I’m curious how much smaller I should go. I need to leave a little wiggle room. Suggestions?
    The only thing I can thing to do is go a little smaller (7.0mm-6.9mm) and maybe bump the plate diameter to 180mm. Can you show a quick video?

what is the height of these bullets again?
    Last edited by TylerR; 11-22-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Page 121 of 361 FirstFirst ... 2171111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131171221 ... LastLast