WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    No sir. Just do file - save as - choose .stl in the drop down.
    Good!......I got that notion from one of the tutorials......must have misunderstood. Autocad saves as an STL too, the one way Autocad is better is.....I already know it. A lot is really similar to Autocad except that autocad uses key board shortcuts that is faster than looking for a button to push. Like L for line, C or circle, PL for polyline, O for offset, I for insert, T for trim, etc. When you know the commands, that's faster. At least DesignSpark has anticipating menus that appear next to your cursor to speed it up a little more. and some commands are improved Autocad commands. Fun Fun! But I want Flash's super power.

Just used the collator generator to make this plate for .223 brass. I will print it out and see how it does with the "Pistol_Brass_Slide_Feed_Base_Down" adapter plate.

Attachment 270857
    7 holes.....that's probably enough......will be an interesting test! Waiting on pins and needles.....while I slave over 10 more D.S. tutorials......
    Last edited by GWS; 11-06-2020 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I am having a hard time keeping up with the reading of all this great information. Let a lone keeping up with printing parts. I have 5 machines and they are all printing right now. I got a client that wants 125 different piece to a 3d table top game. I had to highjack my wifes machine to work on my bullet feeder parts. This thread is a wealth of information. If anyone one needs help or information 3d printing let me know. I have lots of experience and also work at a 3d printer company. I am sure I can answer most questions.

Raymond.

Thanks Raymond! And welcome to the "overwhelmed" club! What 3d printer company and what printers are you using?

GWS
    I have a large bed printer. 300x300x400

What do you need to know. You could for sure do a bigger bowl and plates.

Now, off to see this design spark thing. Another rabbit hole

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Thanks Raymond! And welcome to the "overwhelmed" club! What 3d printer company and what printers are you using?
    I work for Spool 3d Canada
    I have a Cr10s, 2 Enders, Mamarubot mars 2, and a flashforge creator pro 2.
    Right now I am home from for for about a month because of a infected toe that had to be cut off. Diabetes can be a bugger sometimes..

I have been following this thread for a long time since it was on page 30. But recently every time I log on it seems to be up a page or 2 lol.

So here is what's interesting. In my basic testing using a large pistol bullet collating plate, I am able to collate both .223 and .300BO brass pretty well. I am going to create a small pistol brass plate with 14mm height, and do more testing. I don't think the plate style I posted above is really even required except maybe for the larger rifle calibers.

I've already discovered that I don't need a different plate for each and every pistol bullet caliber....with the typical bucket angle, every bullet leans on the bottom surface of the plate holes. Now you are saying that maybe that could be true even crossing the bullet, case, pistol or rifle barriers too? Heresy! Burn him at the stake!

Boy that could save some serious printing time and rolls of plastic.....

BTW, this new software is beating me up......I watch the vids, and try it and it don't work for me.....I think my brain has died except for the stupid part......why is this so hard for me. Like changing my language from English to Greek. Maybe tomorrow will have less distractions....gotta get that base print started in the morning, then maybe I can focus better.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-07-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    I've already discovered that I don't need a different plate for each and every pistol bullet caliber....with the typical bucket angle, every bullet leans on the bottom surface of the plate holes. Now you are saying that maybe that could be true even crossing the bullet, case, pistol or rifle barriers too? Heresy! Burn him at the stake!

Boy that could save some serious printing time and rolls of plastic.....
    Yeah this is starting to get weird. haha.

I am about to start a print that I believe will work for large pistol bullets and small rifle brass. Not even sure how to label it.

How about...Do you Believe in Magic.....is that too long?

.223 and .308 feeder dies are now designed and waiting to go on the printer for testing. Also modified the brass base down slide plate to accommodate both pistol and large rifle caliber brass.

Boolit Mold
    Hello!

I printed Mikes feeder for the MBF motor and I don't have that motor, I saw Tylers post back some threads about getting that motor from MCM. I can't find the Turning plates nose up/down for other calibers from the 3 different files I've found for Mike's feeder. I found this thread today and read a ton through it. Would it be better to print Tyler's design as he has everything possible? Thanks Tyler for all you do already and the bullet feeder dies!

Boolit Bub
    TylerR, I just finished the 9mm spring adapter. How do you want the file? I can send both the STL and the design files tomorrow. I'll also whip up a few more different sizes to match the spring kit once I get more time. Should be a lot faster now that I have a design that works. Let me know if you want me to add text to the part as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andar View Post
    TylerR, I just finished the 9mm spring adapter. How do you want the file? I can send both the STL and the design files tomorrow. I'll also whip up a few more different sizes to match the spring kit once I get more time. Should be a lot faster now that I have a design that works. Let me know if you want me to add text to the part as well.
    STL files will be perfect.

These particular parts are kind of small for putting actual labels on them. What we do need is a spreadsheet that matches a filename with a full description, but that's kind of low on my list of things to do.

Here is my latest addition. I added a slider to the brass feeding plate to account for rifle brass. This allows you to adjust the width of the drop hole, which is needed for different rifle calibers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slide.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	270996

Quote Originally Posted by Falconpunch View Post
    Hello!

I printed Mikes feeder for the MBF motor and I don't have that motor, I saw Tylers post back some threads about getting that motor from MCM. I can't find the Turning plates nose up/down for other calibers from the 3 different files I've found for Mike's feeder. I found this thread today and read a ton through it. Would it be better to print Tyler's design as he has everything possible? Thanks Tyler for all you do already and the bullet feeder dies!
    Since no one responded to you I decided I should, and my answer is of course you should print my larger version!
    In all seriousness, at this point I have a majority of what anyone would ever want to do with these things covered, including base up case feeding if you need it. I am putting some finishing touches on rifle brass feeding, which was really the last piece to the puzzle. I plan on getting a new release out today or tomorrow with these recent changes.

And with some folks like RedLegEd, GWS, and Andar contributing it can only get better.
    Last edited by TylerR; 11-08-2020 at 01:27 PM.

Boolit Man
    so found something odd when printing the drop tubes. Anyone else have this issue when sliced with cura?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop tube gaps.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	271019

Quote Originally Posted by djinnpb View Post
    so found something odd when printing the drop tubes. Anyone else have this issue when sliced with cura?
    Going to need more details on your nozzle and other settings. I am not exactly sure what I am looking at in the screen shot.
    I have not had any issues using .4mm nozzle and Cura's built in Standard Quality settings.

Boolit Man
    Going to need more details on your nozzle and other settings. I am not exactly sure what I am looking at in the screen shot.
    I have not had any issues using .4mm nozzle and Cura's built in Standard Quality settings.
    To rule out any in my profiles I installed Cura fresh on a different system and used the standard quality with 0.4 nozzle and the same gaps are present still.. around where the sensor knobs go. Might be a bug in cura (on 4.8 beta) will try a few different versions but very odd. Of course S3d slices it fine (but I hate S3D!)

To rule out any in my profiles I installed Cura fresh on a different system and used the standard quality with 0.4 nozzle and the same gaps are present still.. around where the sensor knobs go. Might be a bug in cura (on 4.8 beta) will try a few different versions but very odd. Of course S3d slices it fine (but I hate S3D!)
    I stand corrected. Just ran a test in Cura 4.7 and same thing happened. I am going to increase the wall thickness there slightly and the problem should go away. I also found an issue with the 6, 7, and 8mm that I am fixing.

Interesting! That's exactly why I downloaded the free Ideamaker slicer.....someone told me it was similar but better than S3d and free to boot, and less buggy than Cura. (don't know if that's true, but I find it easier to organize my mind around than Cura) The only complaint I had about it was the dark background....my old eyes don't do well with that. But they just released a beta I downloaded and there's Light! They have an option to change the dark to a light format....and my eyes love it!

A page or two back, lablover showed how Prusaslicer could vary layer heights in a print. So I was curious as to whether Ideamaker could do that. I searched for a video on the subject and lo and behold there was one.....its a different spin but it just may be the coolest feature.

Posting a screen shot of the big base I'm heading downstairs to print when I get through with this reply. We will see how it prints.

Notice on the right the color code for layer height.....automatically figured out by the slicer....for good or bad we will see. Time? about 20 minutes longer than printing at all green .2mm.

Notice, how it automatically put thinner layers top and bottom of the holes in the bucket sides.....think I might like.
    Last edited by GWS; 11-08-2020 at 06:27 PM.