Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 81 of 364 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091131181 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 7267

Thread: Making that Bullet Collator

Quote Originally Posted by TylerR View Post
    Files are back up.
    Base up safe again? I’d be curious as what you changed. And if I need to reprint the large base up plate. Amazing work. I printed the large base before you said not to and it’s amazing the little details in that thing.
    Last edited by lablover; 10-18-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lablover View Post
    Base up safe again? I’d be curious as what you changed. And if I need to reprint the large base up plate. Amazing work. I printed the large base before you said not to and it’s amazing the little details in that thing.
    Very minor changes to the ramp. The one you printed should work fine. Mostly I changed the small base up collator plate from 18mm to 19mm height.

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Hi Tyler,

Thanks for putting the APP files up

Can you please explain how they work? I know it might sound dumb but a picture goes a long way for me.

Thanks again!
    It's pretty straight forward. Use a spring from the collator to the drop tube just like normal. For 9mm and 40sw brass, or sizing pistol bullets (9mm-45acp), the DAA large spring and my large adapters will work. For 45acp brass you would need the DAA output chute spring, which is 13.5mm ID, and my extra large adapters.

Print out the "APP_Drop_Tube_#3_#4_Tube_Adapter". This will connect the drop tube to either the #3 or #4 (two largest) plastic tubes that come with the APP. From here you are just setting up the APP the way you would normally. You can cut the tube down to be shorter if you want, which is what I did.

There is a pic of my setup on page 79. In the pic you will see I also have a "APP_Offset_Connector" on the APP press. I came up with this and use it primarily for sizing 45acp bullets, because it gives me more clearance between the tube and my modified handle. It will not work with .45 brass (they will get hung up), but I assume it would with everything else.

Edited to add:
    Here is the DAA output chute spring. It is larger then the DAA large spring by .5mm, and is 4 feet long, so you can cut it up in to whatever length pieces you need. I mentioned this before, but if I were to buy springs again I would just get the small DAA spring and this output spring, and skip the large one. This one will do everything the large one does and more. Who knows maybe you can find a use for the chute too. lol

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/doubl...BoCXCkQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-18-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Very minor changes to the ramp. The one you printed should work fine. Mostly I changed the small base up collator plate from 18mm to 19mm height.
    Thanks buddy. Going to start collator plate now

Thanks buddy. Going to start collator plate now
    Just for the record, I print all my collator plates at 2 walls and 10% infill these days, and they are plenty strong. I have printed these things so many times I was burning through filament like crazy.

Oh and I can't stress this enough. Make sure you have enough angle on the feeder when you are feeding brass. 45-60 degrees.

I totally forgot, I was going to include some other APP stuff I have designed. I have a dedicated APP bullet slide for 45acp and 9mm. I find them to be more reliable then the stock APP slide. I also designed a replacement base for the APP slide for brass. It has additional support at the base of the case to improve reliability (some assembly required )

I have added the parts to the download and incremented to v1.0.6.
    Last edited by TylerR; 10-18-2020 at 10:51 AM.

I totally forgot, I was going to include some other APP stuff I have designed. I have a dedicated APP bullet slide for 45acp and 9mm. I find them to be more reliable then the stock APP slide. I also designed a replacement base for the APP slide for brass. It has additional support at the base of the case to improve reliability (some assembly required )

I have added the parts to the download and incremented to v1.0.6.

Great info on printing the collater plates. I got side tracked and didn’t start a print, so I will with your settings. Bet it cuts on time as well.

Looking forward to your APP mods. I really dislike the App slide..it’s pretty flimsy.

I just noticed you put a small notch in the hex plate for the set screw on the brass hex adapter, Very nice touch. And time cut big time by your suggested settings. 4 hour time cut! Epic.

I just noticed you put a small notch in the hex plate for the set screw on the brass hex adapter, Very nice touch. And time cut big time by your suggested settings. 4 hour time cut! Epic.
    Nice! Please let me know if the sizing on the notch seems appropriate. It could be adjusted if needed.

Nice! Please let me know if the sizing on the notch seems appropriate. It could be adjusted if needed.
    I’ll let you know in about 9 hours

In case any one is wondering how to orient the APP slides.

On the brass slide, the little tab gets glued in to the rear slot. If you look at the original design you will see what I mean. Or there is a one piece version you can print with supports. Just disassemble the original APP slide and replace the bottom part with my part, using the original claws and top piece.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slides.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	269670

Quote Originally Posted by Fil131 View Post
    Gotcha makes sense, I couldn't tell that the circular pieces were all the way to the edge at first glance
    If you look at the latest version, I modified it to have a slight flat edge there to make it more obvious.

Boolit Buddy
    Tyler, you are a legend

Quote Originally Posted by o416 View Post
    Tyler, you are a legend
    Haha, thank you. I have really enjoyed contributing to this project.

Now I need to do some casting / sizing / reloading with my new 9mm mold.
    Eventually I will get to rifle, starting with .223

So my good friend Ed was kind enough to point out a detail about my APP case slider part I forgot. As designed it requires permanent alteration to the original part. I won't go in to details now but I am deciding whether to keep it as is or change it to not require that alteration.

So my good friend Ed was kind enough to point out a detail about my APP case slider part I forgot. As designed it requires permanent alteration to the original part. I won't go in to details now but I am deciding whether to keep it as is or change it to not require that alteration.
    Ed can be a pain that way.......happens when you take up with really smart people. I just need to run everything by him BEFORE I print instead of after......where then I have to do it twice. Handy man to have around, that's for sure.

I need to look close at your APP stuff......can't keep up with you as it is.....slow down for the slow people....

Have you posted anything before today on the APP parts? Did I miss them? I modified mine for .40 cases to make it feed right, and .308, and .223. and I've been thinking I need to print the fixes because the mods sort of disfigured it. Didn't have the luxury of a printer then.....

Above, I got rid of the chamfers on top of the slide for .223 and .308. All the chamfers did it make the cases tilt and fall crooked.

for .40 I really could have used a printer.....I couldn't keep the bases from falling into the caseholder plowed area....the wires helped but your print design would be better. NOW, I can make all the bases I want.
    Last edited by GWS; 10-18-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Ed can be a pain that way.......happens when you take up with really smart people. I just need to run everything by him BEFORE I print instead of after......where then I have to do it twice. Handy man to have around, that's for sure.

I need to look close at your APP stuff......can't keep up with you as it is.....slow down for the slow people....
    Haha, I love it. Ed is my second pair of eyes for sure. He catches details most normal people would never see in a million years.

Boolit Master

Haha, I love it. Ed is my second pair of eyes for sure. He catches details most normal people would never see in a million years.
    Will you guys quit!? You'll make my head swell. I'm just OCD is all, and like Rain Man, I just happen to see the toothpicks you guys drop.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Have you posted anything before today on the APP parts? Did I miss them? I modified mine for .40 cases to make it feed right, and .308, and .223. and I've been thinking I need to print the fixes because the mods sort of disfigured it. Didn't have the luxury of a printer then.....
    I have not, and I have really only dabbled on overcoming the short comings of the slide mechanism. Dedicated slides for bullet feeding are straight forward. Solving all the little reliability issues with case feeding is a whole nother animal.

I have a feeling between you, Ed and me we could probably come up with some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Will you guys quit!? You'll make my head swell. I'm just OCD is all, and like Rain Man, I just happen to see the toothpicks you guys drop.
    Ed
    That's the funny part Ed, I am pretty OCD myself. Your OCD just maybe trumps mine.