RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Creating a nail nick?

Boolit Master

Creating a nail nick?

I have a useful two-bladed double-locking folding knife with a slightly more than annoying problem. I am left-handed. The knife's most used blade (both blades pivot on one pivot pin) blade has a right-hander's thumb stud for opening it. This stud interferes with about 3/8 inch of blade when slicing or penetrating deeply. I have tried to open the blade when my hands are wet or greasy without switching hands. Opening is very difficult for my arthritic fingers, but opening a dry blade with dry fingers is easy.

The secondary blade has a nail nick and operates easily regardless of conditions. Unfastening thumb stud and creating a nail nick or other method of opening the blade should remedy this irritating issue. And were the nail nick to be poorly done, or the nick to not do what I want it to do, no big deal. I just reattach the stud, and I am no worse off than I am now.

I have no Dremel tool or other power grinder/cutter. No file I own can do the job. Neither twist drill nor drill bits can notch blade. I live in Missoula County, Montana. Anyone in the area available for the job? While it appears to me to be a five-minute job, I am more than willing to pay for the work.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master
    Get a set of riffler files, and you can do it yourself. You can find them on Amazon for over $300 for Swiss or American-made files, or under $20 if you don't mind Chinese tools. I have a set of the latter that my mom gave me about 40 years ago. Don't need them often, but when I do nothing else will work. If you might get into gunsmithing, you can also get riffler rasps for working on gunstocks and such things.

Or you could buy a set of cheap needle files, heat the end of one red hot, and bend it into a short curve, and dunk it in used motor oil. Harbor Freight has a set of needle files for under $3.

Boolit Man
    Hey there, I also live in Missoula. I can try to notch the blade for you. if you are interested PM me and we will go from there. One of the knives I carry daily is a 20+ year old Benchmade. It has a disc on the blade spine that makes either hand opening a breeze. It may be an option for you as well.

Boolit Master

PM sent.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson