WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Straight wall case hunting

DRM, sorry I missed your point there. I wish I had kept my 45/70 now. I agree with the thought that you hear fewer shots in a rifle area.
    I disagree with dverna about the buckshot. I've hunted thickets on public land in shotgun only areas. A full third of the "hunters" round here need to go through another hunter safety course. JMO
    I think some guys just want to hunt with their AR. I'm not sure an AR would feed a big flat boolit up that feed ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in MD View Post
    correct me if I'm mistaken. .57 Max 1.605 .357 Super Max 1.610 I can make due without the extra .05 inches in a pinch. But I am also the guy looking at the 414 super mag over the 41 mag.
    I guess what I was talking about is a super super 357 max. Proportioned like 44mg is to 444. I say 357 because it’s smallest legal diameter.

Most hunting accidents in Ohio take place at starting or finishing point. More are hurt and killed loading and unloading than wild shots. The traditional deer guns are most under 2500fps which puts them in same boat as straight cases.

In Ohio when it was slug you could tell where the deer was at and what direction he was going by shots. Everybody had 8shot extensions on 12g autos. We did go to 3shot finally. Even now it’s 3 shot in rifles. Honor system, used to have to be plugged.

Gumbo, Yup last year I used my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. This year both my Grandson and I hope to use the 357 Max. Tom

flyer, the best of luck to both of you. Hunting with your grandson is very special. Did not intend to hijack this thread.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master

Dumped many a whitetail with a Maxi and a 180 SSP and about 26g aa1680 powder!!!

I have the legend as well now. Maxi lods are good START LOADS for the legend.

I really like both the 180 & 190 RANCH DOG molds iffin ya want a GOOD WFP hunting bullet!!

4744/4227/h110 all do a fine job with it!!

Cast of WW NOT QUENCHED and shot to mig 18-1900's should give some good expansion too!

I picked up a Lyman 358430 mold and then wanted it HP'ed. Decided upon a NOE 358-297 HP mold. Its close to 430's bulbus nose that I like. (Think 311440) Both drop a 200g (lil
    Less in HP)
    I also borrowed a MP 359-220 HP mold and this one is a true gem!! Think RCBS 358-210!! So far accuracy is real good with MP BUT ONLY adequate with lyman/NOE.

GOOD LUCK!

CW
    CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

CW- I have some of the Hornady 180 SSP's and A1680, that is another load to work up for the Henry. Maybe Isaac will work it up and hunt with it?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    CW- I have some of the Hornady 180 SSP's and A1680, that is another load to work up for the Henry. Maybe Isaac will work it up and hunt with it?
    . ITS A GOOD ONE!!

Limit velocity to 2200 on critter. If ya hit big bones north of 2100 ish ya probably will
    Have bullet break up. I have seen it a few times but never lost a animal so 8 fall short of callit it failure.

But down 14-1500 ish nice mushrooms proven by exit holes. Only partial bullets ever recovered after hitting shoulders inside 50 yards.

Im working with them resized in the legend. So far 22h imr4227 is a mild load in the mid 45k range but shooting MOA AND 2000 fps 15' out from my 20".

CW

Boolit Master
    The big advantage of the 350L is being rimless so it feeds through typical bolt and semi-auto magazines.
    The cartridge is more than adequate for medium game hunting if you match the load to your quarry, as is the 357 Maxi.
    The HUGE assortment of already available molds and components makes it very attractive for those wanting mild recoil combined with effective field performance.
    “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”.... Mark Twain

Boolit Buddy

Cool

...The HUGE assortment of already available molds and components makes it very attractive for those wanting mild recoil combined with effective field performance.
    If only the 350L bore size matched all those available components....but I suppose smaller is better than bigger with cast.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    If only the 350L bore size matched all those available components....but I suppose smaller is better than bigger with cast.
    I have been simply sizing down bullets and shooting them!!!

Thin jackets size just fine in a LEE push thru with a lil case lube!

CW

Just SIZE THEM!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post

In Ohio when it was slug you could tell where the deer was at and what direction he was going by shots. Everybody had 8shot extensions on 12g autos. We did go to 3shot finally. Even now it’s 3 shot in rifles. Honor system, used to have to be plugged.
    Same thing here, you knew if the deer were coming or going. We always said, 1 shot meat, 2 shots maybe, 3 shots miss.

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Just SIZE THEM!!
    My max wants to shoot .360. That legend is listed at .355 but who knows what the gun might want to shoot for real. Add in the fact that it has to feed properly. I wonder how touchy it might be finding a balance.

Just bringing that up now because my buddy is sending his upper back to the manufacturer because it only picks up the next round less than half the time. I have yet to have a FTF issue with any of my TC's LOL

Boolit Master

I have had more feeding issues from my Ruger Bolt (ar mag) then I have with my AR 350!

Its shooting my NOE 360/232 and the Lee TL359/190 just fine!! Reliably (Still working on accuracy )

Speer & Hornady 180's size down perfectly. Hornady 200 ftx do as well. I have a small hord of Remington 150 CL's that are also shooting well. ALL where .358 bullets.

Cast isnt worth mentioning as ya buy a sizer for what ya want ANY 355-260 mold can be sized to suite the Legend. I shoot them all @ .356.

CW

Thanks CW Good info.

Moderator Emeritus
    I didn’t have to size the FTX bullets to feed in a Savage Axis in 350 Legend. I do have to size the Hornady 180gr SSP and of course the cast bullets. The RCBS-35-200 feeds and shoots well. Large meplats won’t feed for me.

I also used my 357 Max loads for starting loads with cast.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I didn’t have to size the FTX bullets to feed in a Savage Axis in 350 Legend. I do have to size the Hornady 180gr SSP and of course the cast bullets. The RCBS-35-200 feeds and shoots well. Large meplats won’t feed for me.

I also used my 357 Max loads for starting loads with cast.

The FTX are lasers in my Ruger Bolt. But my Faxon barrel dont like them!! ;(. BUT it seems to feed even the 190 RD LEE bullet!!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 10-04-2020 at 06:58 PM.

I have two of the molds mentioned, and load data for my MAX. I was looking at the Faxon barrel. One of the few available right now. I'm trying to decide on barrel length. 16.5, 18, or the 20

Boolit Master
    As a long time shooter of the 357 Maximum in handguns, I went with 16.25" when I built my 357AR.

Just for comparison, I ran Quickload estimates for 357 Max cast bullet velocity of different barrel lengths:

200 gr, 26.0 gr 1680, 2003 fps (20") and 1938 (16.5")
    200 gr, 23.5 gr H110, 2010 fps (20") and 1948 fps (16.5")
    180 gr, 25.5 gr H110, 2170 fps (20") and 2100 fps (16.5")

So the extra 4" gives an extra 62 to 70 fps in the above examples.

I am happy with my 16.25" AR in terms of gun weight and handiness.

That just made my decision easier.

Big flat meplat or Keith style swc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk