RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsLee PrecisionTitan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have good luck with Lee tumble lube bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox and found that my set C.O.A.L. was changing.
    The reason turned out to be a build up of the Alox on the seating die.
    When I took the die apart to check it out...wow!...lots of build up in there.
    I do not tumble lube any more but do have a bunch of cast bullets that I tumble lubed.
    Now, when I use them I drag the bullet tip across a paper towel to remove the Alox on the flat bullet tip and then seat the bullet.

tried them in 9 (124 tl), and 45 a couple years ago, tried to make the 9 work solidly for about 2 months,tried them from 10 to 17 BRN sized in range from 356 to 358 with 3 different powders at multiple different charges, all shot like crap in everything i ran them thru but the carbines (they were indifferent), went so far on the case flare to make sure they werent getting swaged down,some looked like an old spitoon, didnt change the accuracy, I even tried some powder coated right before giving up, they still didnt shoot much better, pulled the bullets from loaded rounds to check swaging and the coatings (both LLA and PC at end)were intact. gave up bought the 120 TC and havent looked back, found a good shooting load almost instantly (sub 3" 60 round group at 10yards offhand in unsorted mixed stamp brass thru 3 different pistols), so the TL molds got put on the "not used" shelf and bought a second 6 cavity 120 TC mold. i did dabble with the NOE 359 135 RN PC mold,they shot pretty good but not as good as the 120s

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    I used to tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox and found that my set C.O.A.L. was changing.
    I do not tumble lube any more but do have a bunch of cast bullets that I tumble lubed.
    Now, when I use them I drag the bullet tip across a paper towel to remove the Alox on the flat bullet tip and then seat the bullet.
    I encountered some of those same issues with the buildup, so now I regularly disassemble and clean ALL of my reloading dies.

Boolit Master

I to was fighting the build up and was planning on going to coating so finished loading what was lubed then switched , as to good luck with them , Yes , I have had a 45 tumble lube bullet mold since the 90's and still use that design , also have a arsenal mold ranch dog style in 40 caliber that makes excellent bullets , and shoots quite nice .

In 38 and 357 they worked fine , in 9 my better moulds and bullets are the Mihec molds with traditional lube groove , though I am coating them .

Banned

I shot ppc a few years with a clark ppc converted model 10. I used unisized tumble lubed 105 less of all things. Why? Because that gun was an absolute tack driver with that bullet and vit 310. It would basically put them in one hole off the bench at 25 yards. Most accurate revolver and load ive ever shot. Dont use it much anymore if any. To dirty and today we have pc. But id be the first to tell you if your on a budget give it a try.

Boolit Master

Experience speaks........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Bub
    "I used to tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox and found that my set C.O.A.L. was changing.
    Now, when I use them I drag the bullet tip across a paper towel to remove the Alox on the flat bullet tip and then seat the bullet."

GOOD info for you here. Yes, it gets a bit dirty but every now and then just clean out the dies with a bit of brake cleaning fluid. If you notice one of the other threads, i'm the guy who had a problem with a .357 Rossi. Tumbling my boolits also seemed to help solve some of the problem and so i do it for those specific loads in that rifle. With other rifles/ calibers/ loads, it didn't seem to make that much of it difference.