Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Primers... The good, the bad, the ugly.

So Rex is shooting the ole shotgun. I normally purchase reloading supplies when I see them on sale. During the last shortage of loading supplies & 22 shells I purchased shotgun shells. Now I own property beside a sporting clays range owned by a fellow SAR member. He keeps saying come by & shoot when you can. Guess I should take him up on that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    As I said, it'll never be cheaper then it is now
    I hope that's not true. With small pistol primers going for $150 per 1,000 and 9mm going for at least $30 per box we're be screwed if prices don't fall at some point.

Boolit Master
    Actually, Academy sports had Blazer brass 9mm the other day 50 rounds for $13.00 or so. Limit 3 per person. They were gone in hours.
    Supply is slowly starting to catch up to demand.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    I hope that's not true. With small pistol primers going for $150 per 1,000 and 9mm going for at least $30 per box we're be screwed if prices don't fall at some point.
    where are they getting those kind of prices for primers? I think about selling some myself if i could get that.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    where are they getting those kind of prices for primers? I think about selling some myself if i could get that.
    Gunbroker. I have also sold local via Armslist and another regional forum on ammo with those prices.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by nwfdub; 09-02-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I should add for those of us no longer young some items are a bit more limited in their ability to be resold in our estate. Finished reloads for example. Or items that require Hazmat shipping. Something to consider. Would my widow rather have $5000 or a primer stockpile that cost $5000?

Do I have family that will use those supplies after I'm gone? Or will I only need a supply for one of my surviving family members and need to take that into account in dispensing of my property? If I leave $5000 worth of supplies to one child I should consider what of comparable value will I bequeath to my other kids.

A friend can ship your lead, molds and equipment can be sold. Powder and primers are probably going to require local sale. I would expect either a lot of smaller transactions with the accompanying work required to do them or one or two larger ones at a discount from what the purchase price was to encourage the buyer to spend a lot of money in one shot. Probably taking some brands or flavors they really don't need in the deal. Not to mention ones all time favorite powder for a load may not be a powder anyone else values having. E.G your Varget will find many buyers, your BL-C(2) maybe not so much.

Last but not least, as I get older will I shoot as much? More? Or less. Hanging out with fellow shooters at the range with a thermos of coffee can be an enjoyable way to spend some time, doesn't require as much ammo as practice for competition one might do in retirement but then taper off later in life. A lot of members have joint issues that make reloading light loads and limiting their shots fired the only way they can still enjoy shooting. Not the only way they can enjoy the shooting sport however. Just some ways don't require as much ammo or components.
    My take is different. If I do not have $5000 of primers and powder in stock when I die, I have not planned for the worst case.
    Don Verna

Let me say something here. I don't hoard reloading supplies. I simply try to have enough that when these "shortages" come about it doesn't affect my shooting habits. I try to do the same with everything else if it's practical. I do know people who purchase things just to have them. I purchase things with the intent to use them.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bakerjw View Post
    Actually, Academy sports had Blazer brass 9mm the other day 50 rounds for $13.00 or so. Limit 3 per person. They were gone in hours.
    Supply is slowly starting to catch up to demand.
    I don’t think supply is catching up at all. There are just a number of local stores that still sell at reasonable prices when they get shipments. As you noted they sell out very quickly. I check ammoseek.com a couple times a week just to see where prices are at and 9mm appears to have settled in at $.60 per round. It been there for a couple of weeks now. I’ve seen a number of people post that they have set up “Notify Me When In Stock” notices for ammo and primers at “normal” prices and they buy as much as they can. At this point in time I’m certain the scalpers are doing the same thing. If you can buy primers for $40 per 1,000 and sell them a week later for $150 it’s easy money. Same goes for 9mm.

On gunbroker primers are pushing $150 for small pistol and shipping is on top of that.

Boolit Master
    Our local BassPro shows 9mm 50 round boxes for $13.00 and in stock. Won't last long though.

I did find a member on here that is local to me willing to sell some small pistol at $90.00/1000. My stock is less than I would like but I don't have an urgent need. I did find a box of 380ACP primed brass in my stash though. I'll be putting them together here shortly because I can.

Boolit Master
    my backyard shooting season is just beginning with ginseng season coming on. Gott keep them thieves off the mountain and none of even bother to try my property with a hail of lead headed up the slopes. just wish I had bought another 20,000 or so of those unis ginex primers when Grafs had em for cheap.
    live and learn after the last great shortage I think it woke a whole bunch of us up.