Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Sure What is Going on Here

The Great Plains North of the Platte River

Not Sure What is Going on Here

Happy Saturday everyone,

I used the search function but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a new Lee .358 - 105-SWC mold. The boolits are dropping between .359 and .360. I sprayed them down with a good coat of silicone spray then started to run them through my .357 Lee sizing die. For lack of a better term, one side of the boolit is being rubbed smooth. Can you guys tell me what the heck is going on and how I should proceed? Why is it just on one side? I powder coat if that information is of any help.

Thank you in advance for your help.

(I tried posting a photo but couldn't for some reason)

Boolit Buddy
    Did your sizing die work correctly with other cast boolets? What is the diameter of the sized, damaged boolets?

Regarding posting photos, what photo hosting site are you using?

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like too much lubricant on the boolits. I experienced something similar when a sizing die is new and it still has the protective oils on it.

Boolit Master

A boolit that gets rubbed smooth on one side usually indicates an out-of-round boolit. Take some measurements with a micrometer 90* from each other, and that should tell you if the boolits are round. If not, get another mold, they are inexpensive for a reason. Slug your bore, too. If tight enough, you may be able to size the boolit down a bit more, thereby making the boolit more round. Someone with a bit more knowledge may chime in.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

FWIW:
    - Forget the silicone spray. Just lightly grease thumb/forefinger w/ case lube (hopefully not 1-Shot) and rub bullet upon pick-up.
    - Size one side more than the other --> Out-of-Round to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    FWIW:
    - Forget the silicone spray. Just lightly grease thumb/forefinger w/ case lube (hopefully not 1-Shot) and rub bullet upon pick-up.
    - Size one side more than the other --> Out-of-Round to start with.
    whats wrong with one-shot? I use it a lot when sizing bullets. Give the pile a spray and it seems to keep everything happy without making things gummy.

Boolit Master
    Is your mold lining up properly when closed ?

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will definitely try eliminating the silicone.

I know the sizing die is good as I've sized and shot several hundred boolits that have passed through it.

No light shows between the blocks when it's closed. As a matter of fact, this particular mold is great to cast with. The boolits litteraly drop out when the handles are open. I did get things too hot however. It's VERY easy to get this one really hot as I'm sure you're all well aware. Had some extremely frosted boolits.

Boolit Master
    If this is a mould which you haven't used previously, then I'm of the opinion that it's out of round. Checking the dropped boolits with a micrometer or calipers should give a definitive answer.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    I, too, was thinking out of round booits. I wondered if you had accidently Beagled your mold with some lead splash. Other than that I would just have WAGs.

Now, I may have missed some basic education; why lube lead boolits when resizing through a Lee push through die? I have not tried that and have no probem sliding through either naked lead or coated lead through a Lee push through die. When using powder coated bullets, I only size after coating. Typically, I am sizing "nominal" .452" bullets that have had powder coat through a .454" die, or "nominal" .428" bullets that are coated throuh a .430" die or similar.

I like my cast lead alloy bullets to have some frost, I get this unfounded notion that such in some way "helps" the powder coating adhere. That is probably a false notion, but, its there.

prs

Boolit Master
    Use a mic to measure on each side of the parting line. Your alignment pins on the mold may not be out enough to keep the blocks aligned. It should be a slight interference fit. Running your blocks hot can let those pins move. Learning to regulate the mold temp is the thing. You should cut the sprue not tear it out.

Boolit Grand Master

If just one side of the bullets are being sized, then that side/diameter is fatter than the side not getting sized. Aka; bullet out of round. If it's just a few thousandths and the unsized portion isn't undersize, I wouldn't worry too much. But if you're like many of us you will need an answer, so some of the hints above and double checking your mold/methods/temps/alloys will be a good start...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Thanks guys. I know I ran the mold too hot. I'd never casted that small/light of a boolit before and I guess I got caught up in the excitement of dropping so many boolits without having to beat the tar out of the handle bolt.

I measured several bullets as has been recommended and I'm getting .359 all the way around. I checked my sizing die again under better light and it sure looks like I have a rough spot. Feel like an idiot adding that information this far into the discussion.

Boolit Master
    There's a learning curve to all of this, so you could consider this part of it.

OJT (on the job training) is IMO the best way to learn, sometimes.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Adding information as you go only helps us to determine the issue and help you solve it. That's what we're here for.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Thanks again for all your help.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen it a few times, probably here at castboolits; "The only way to learn to cast bullets is to cast bullets"...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Slingin' Lead, maybe check to make sure your sizer hasn't leaded up that would do it. If it has get it all scrubbed out and polished up then used some lube on bullets from first pass.
    Charter Member #148

I will definitely try de-leading it. I read that 50/50 peroxide and white vinegar work well for removing lead. Maybe I will try that.

I was thinking about this problem again last night and wondered if, maybe, I'm sizing too far in one pass? Like I mentioned earlier, this mold is dropping boolits at .359-.360 and I'm sizing to a hair under .357 with this particular sizing die. Do you guys think that could be possible?
    Last edited by Slingin'Lead; 08-31-2020 at 12:02 PM.

Boolit Master

That is not to far to downsize, at least it has not been for me. Really sounds like an out of round cavity or mould.