Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 55 - it's days are numbered

Boolit Bub

Lyman 55 - it's days are numbered

I've been in contact with Lyman customer service trying to get a part for the Lyman 55 powder measure, the washer that sits on top of the screw clamp. A simple fix one would think. I had ordered the assembly, (that's what Lyman call it) since it consists of 3 parts, the screw clamp, the washer and C clip. When I got the box, only the screw clamp was in the package. A call to customer service revealed that yes all 3 parts should have been in the package and they would get back to me.

I ended up having to send the powder measure body to Lyman so they could install a new one since that "old" style parts were no longer in stock. The "new" style I was told required a peening process to install. Since all my 55's are of the 70s or older variety I have no idea of what the new 55s look like. When I got my part back lo and behold it had an "old" style washer! Go figure...

The entire process from the time I originally ordered the parts to the time I received my powder measure body took 8 weeks. To their credit Lyman customer service called me back every time but what a trying experience. In my conversations with customer service it was revealed that they plan on stopping production of the 55 powder measure by the time of the next Shot Show and would dedicate that machinery to the Brass Smith powder measure. But because they are backed up due to the Covid (the factory was shutdown for about a month) that leaves little time to produce parts. I was my understanding they have very little stock on hand so things may get dicey for anybody needing parts.
    Last edited by sackettboys; 08-29-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Well crap. Why discontinue a product that half of everyone who reloads uses. As far as i know its one of the best throwers on the market (dont know about the newer ones)
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master

I have the brass smith. Im very happy with it.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned

I have 3 60's vintage 55's and they are my workhorses! I've heard the new Lyman stuff is made in China!

Thank God there are many old ones still around.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    I've heard the new Lyman stuff is made in China!
    Might want to have a look at their catalog. I see most of their stuff is US-made, including both their powder measures. Some of their US-made stuff isn't marked in their catalog, but is US-made such as the scale checking weight set. Looking on e-bay, it shows Smith powder measures with "made in USA" on the box.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/user_m...action=catalog

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012880550

Vendor Sponsor

Anyone know where the name for their product line comes from, "Brass Smith"?
    Or wondering, maybe if you are a handloader, a maker of cartridges, you are a brass smith???
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I have five of the 55 measures, some are orange and some grey. I hope they keep making them. I made need parts at some future date.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    I think you guys answered your own question. Over the last 70 or so years they’ve made about a half a bajillion of the #55s. The market is pretty much saturated with plenty of spares available. The plan is introduce a flashy new item so that those of us with the attention span of a goldfish will want to buy one in spite of the fact we already have several older ones.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    The Lyman customer service person screwed up and let out information that is not yet ready for public announcement. The 55 is still in production.
    The new Brass Smith line of presses and powder measure are current Lyman production. Lyman added another company under their banner, Mark 7 and the Brass Smith tools are from them.

Boolit Master
    I have long believed Lyman's old 55 measure is the best, most versatile measure available IF the user takes the time to understand the three adjustments; sadly, not many people will do that these days. That's why costly auto-dumpers have become so popular.

I have a spare set of the clamp parts. Came in a lot of stuff. I wanted some of the other parts and the price was good even without these extra parts.
    I think I'll keep them around.
    Anyone needing parts might want to buy some extra 55's for the parts.
    I have three. I keep one with the large drop tube, one with a small. The third was got because the price was right.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    they will never go away
    its the best on market

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    they will never go away
    its the best on market
    Oh i imagine thell quit making em that will just drive the price up on the used market

Boolit Buddy
    I might be in the minority but I am not that fond of my 55. Its great with some powders. But I have trouble with fine powders like AA5. I never had that issue with RCBS measure or my Dillons.

Boolit Master
    I have a 55 that needs both drop tubes but that is all. I see from their parts online page they do not sell very many parts for this iconic measure but drop tubes are still listed as available.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I wont part with mine ever greatest thing since sliced bread and 44-40s the reason they dont sell many parts is because its good ole american craftmanship unlike the crap flooding in from china

Boolit Master

I just went to the Lyman site to investigate replacement parts for the 55. All I could find was a diagram titled #55 Classic Black Powder Measure. Are the parts the same?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    used mine since 82 never broken/worn out anything. so i dont worry that i will need any spares any time soon.

Boolit Buddy
    Funny thing, nobody complains about powder leaking!
    Or how they had to lap the powder drum so it will operate right.
    Or how they put a cookie sheet under it to catch leaking powder!

But the Lyman 55 is used for the base for custom bench rest measure's !!