Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest 9mm mold

I have not had a good result in my case with Lee's 120 TC. It gave me 355 boolits, and I could never get them to work better on my glock.
    Much better result with RCBS 124CN, now I have to try MP 135 RNFP, which many say is very good.

Boolit Master
    I will give another vote to start with the LEE 120 TC 6cavity. Something I don't think was questioned but indirectly mentioned, what is your plan after cast? Are you going to PC, lube and how? I cut my teeth on the 120 TC and powder and haven't had an issue. I will end up with a second mold only b.c. I want something with a different design. I hate the looks of the TC but it works all too well from casting to loading to target.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    I have not had a good result in my case with Lee's 120 TC. It gave me 355 boolits, and I could never get them to work better on my glock.
    Much better result with RCBS 124CN, now I have to try MP 135 RNFP, which many say is very good.
    I got lucky ... the Lee double cavity #356-120-TC I got dropped them at .357 , which was perfect for sizing to .357 in my lube / sizer ! That doesn't happen often but in this case the sun , moon and stars all lined up for me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I like Mihec's version of the Hensley Gibbs HG275. Basically a 9mm version of the pooular HG68 for the 45 acp. Their 8 cavity aluminum mold really rains the bullets.
    Unfortunately, it appears that the flat base version is sold out, but they make a bevel base version.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...c-hg275-clone/

If I had been that lucky, I would not have made so many changes to my pistol.
    That's one of the two molds that have left my reload room.
    I have not bought a Lee mold since.

Boolit Bub
    Hello Friends:
    As the OP i failed to say that I will be using the shake and bake method to PC the bullets.
    I will size if necessary using a Lee push through.
    Sorry for lack of info.
    Thanks for all the replies. Still trying to decide on mold/molds.
    Suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Will update once i pull the trigger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Very interesting. I have some of those 358-125 RF that I cast for my .38 and .357, but experimenting a little, I discovered that the .358-125 passed the plunk test in my M&P 9mm. I will be loading and testing just as soon as I can get more primers.
    I have also use the Lee 358-125-RF and it shoots fine in everything 9mm I have, except the 9mm AR, hence the reference to RN boolits. I will tell you, the 125 RF is the bee's knees for the .357 SIG, same profile as factory 125 FMJ. Now that might make for a great AR 15 build!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I started out with the Lee TL 356-124 2R and it worked great. I still shoot a lot of them. Then I tried the Lee 358-105-SWC (H&G 68 clone) and I know this is a crazy reason, but I love the 'paper punch' holes that it makes in the target, so I have been making them and shooting them pretty much exclusively. I also cast the same style for my 45ACP. Great fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    LEE 120 grain truncated cone. Easy to cast, feeds in all the 9mm I have tried it in so far, ie Browning HP, Tangoglio, Astra A100, Polish Radom.
    2nd this

I cut the lube grooves out of my 2-cavity and upped the diameter it drops to .359 - coated in HiTek those bullets just simply work every time.
    $20 well spent.
    Lee's 452-228-1R (45) - toss that one in the woods and keep looking...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by trixter View Post
    I started out with the Lee TL 356-124 2R and it worked great. I still shoot a lot of them. Then I tried the Lee 358-105-SWC (H&G 68 clone) and I know this is a crazy reason, but I love the 'paper punch' holes that it makes in the target, so I have been making them and shooting them pretty much exclusively. I also cast the same style for my 45ACP. Great fun!
    I tried the 358-105 SWC and could not get them to feed in my Polymer 80(Glock 17 sized). I might give it another shot, got pretty frustrating so I went with the RNF from Accurate that I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Boolit Master
    The most accurate 9mm bullet I've found has been cast using the obsolete Lyman #358212 .38 Special mould - 147-150 gain round nose, ww alloy. Size to .357". .358", or .359", whatever functions reliably and shoots most accurately in your gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with the truncated cone guys. A lot of 9mm have a 90 degree, chamber to leade which will scrape lead. In my testing a .357 TC worked in more guns than it didn't. Sometimes a .358 worked if the chamber would take it. Next best boolit was the round nose. Both in the 120/125 weight class. I have never powder coated so can't speak to that.
    Tony

Banned
    9mm can be a bit of problem child but the most universal 9mm bullet I've found is the 120 grain TC style. That profile seems to work with most platforms.

9mm barrels are all over the place in terms of groove diameter, so measuring the bore is often a key step when making decisions on bullet diameter. A 9mm barrel should be .355" but they rarely conform to that standard; .356"-.357" is common.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
    I like Mihec's version of the Hensley Gibbs HG275. Basically a 9mm version of the pooular HG68 for the 45 acp. Their 8 cavity aluminum mold really rains the bullets.
    Unfortunately, it appears that the flat base version is sold out, but they make a bevel base version.

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/9mm...c-hg275-clone/
    I bought one of the MP HG275 bevel base molds. I've owned more than a dozen MP molds over the years. Unfortunately, my Dan Wesson 1911's don't like this bullet. Keyholes at 10 yards. Sure makes a nice bullet, though.

The Accurate 35-130A has been accurate in my 1911's.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    All those mentioned are good choices, I will just add this one to the list: the Lyman 358242 120g version.
    +1 and ill add the Lyman 356402 120g Truncated Cone. My M&P loves em

Boolit Master
    I agree...have tried many bullet molds in the 9mm caliber and in my pistols the Lee 120 TC has always been a top performer.

Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    LEE 120 grain truncated cone. Easy to cast, feeds in all the 9mm I have tried it in so far, ie Browning HP, Tangoglio, Astra A100, Polish Radom.

MP 8 cav, let it rain!!

Boolit Man
    Well for my 2 cents worth I just started casting with the NOE HTC356-135-RF-AH2 4 Cavity RG4 PB. Nice Hollow Point and my Beretta 92 just loves them sized to .355. I like the fact that I can do Hollow Points, Cup Points and Flat Nose with the same mould. I am not sure a beginner should start here though because the mould/pins have to be very clean to get good boolits. They also are great in my wife's EAA Witness. They are designed for Hi-Tek coating but I shake and bake them and have been very impressed.

Boolit Master

I run the Lyman 147 gr RNFP. It shoots well out of almost all 7 of my 9mm's. Im thinking of adding a 124 gr option.

Boolit Grand Master
    Depending on firearm, you need one to drop at least .357 boolits.
    It is a rare 9mm that has a .355 barrel.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin