MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maglite Battery Corrosion

Boolit Master

Maglite Battery Corrosion

My good old Maglite didn't work tonight, so went to change the batteries. The batteries corroded and swelled so bad and had one heck of a time getting them out. Replaced them not so long ago. Any good way to neutralize the corrosion & clean out all the gunk on the inside?
    Another question, is there any conversion to LED?

Boolit Master

I am not sure of the best way to remove the corrosion, but there are replacement LED bulbs that last for ever and are easy on batteries. I replaced all my Maglites with the LED bulbs. They are as bright as the regular incandescent bulb and maybe a bit whiter as well.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Master
    Try baking soda and warm water and a old tooth brush. Repeat as needed. For the threads on the end cap use silicone grease.The baking soda neutralizes the corrosion aka "white stuff" and the warm water helps to break it down and the tooth brush does the cleaning. This on a regular flashlite with standard carbon or lithium ion batteries but be careful not to get any water in the head as this is where the electronics are.Frank

Boolit Master
    A pencil eraser will also do well on polishing any surfaces the toothbrush won’t scrub clean. Especially useful on the terminals that connect to battery.

Banned

The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago with a 6-cell mag lite I had. Couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. Bought my first Surefire and never looked back!

Boolit Master

Maglite Battery Corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    The same thing happened to me about 10 years ago with a 6-cell mag lite I had. Couldn't get it out no matter what I tried. Bought my first Surefire and never looked back!
    I’ve also had great luck with the $10 knockoffs of lights like SureFire. My dad gave my wife a high end one years ago for Christmas ($120 price point from amazon) and a couple years ago I bought myself a $10 one at 7-Eleven. Only way you can tell the difference is the color of the button, all other parts and features are identical including brightness.

Hers came with a large single battery that’s expensive to replace cause it’s a weird size. Mine takes AAA in an adapter or the large oddball one my wife’s does. I stick to the adapter.

Boolit Master
    Alkaline batteries went to hell in a hand basket. I won't leave them in flashlights, anymore. I've switched over to the Lithium batteries. They are more expensive but last longer and are not prone to leakage. Another thing you can do is leave the alkaline batteries out, next to the flashlight. Install, only when you're going to use it.

Winelover

Boolit Master

I have DOZENS of mini-Mag and 2/3/4 D-cell Maglite flashlights. Quite a few have had corroded alkaline batteries in them - most particularly DURACELL. I take the flashlights apart routinely now.

1.) Take the flashlight COMPLETELY apart.
    2.) Baking soda and water as indicated above. Tooth brush too.
    3.) Sandpaper (220 grit) on a dowel in a hand drill for inside the barrel. Be aggressive.
    4.) Steel wool for the threads. Be aggressive.
    5.) I have successfully used Rubbing Alcohol on the electronics and a toothbrush.
    6.) Tread lightly using alcohol and place everything in the heat of a closed car for a day (or two) to dry completely.
    7.) Vaseline on the O-rings, inside barrel, and all threads when putting parts back together.
    8.) If it won't light at all, keep the components for spare parts.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Buy a cheap ebay knockoff that uses rechargeable 18650 battery's. They last longer, recharge in a few hours, and do not seem to ever do what the alkalines do.

I have an 8$ light with an 8$ battery mounted under my 12 ga 870. For 5 years if I push the button I have light, and lots of it.
    Good enough for me. YMMV
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Alkaline batteries are just that, alkaline. Baking Soda is also alkaline and will not neutralize an alkaline battery. Baking Soda will only neutralize an Acid Battery.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    If the stuck batteries are Duracell brand, send the whole thing to Duracell. They’ll fix it for free, or send you a check to buy a new flashlight with.

I’ve had Duracell batteries destroy several flashlights over the last few years. Their batteries are junk nowadays. I’ve even had them leak in the package, unused.

Boolit Grand Master

I have found some "brands" of batteries are more prone to corrosion than others .
    In my experience I try not to leave Ray-O-Vac batteries in my lights for any extended period of time and any no-name cheap-o batteries ... all have leaked and one destroyed a good Maglite with the leaked acid .
    I don't believe I have ever had a Duracell battery leak and even if they cost more I buy them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    If the stuck batteries are Duracell brand, send the whole thing to Duracell. They’ll fix it for free, or send you a check to buy a new flashlight with.

I’ve had Duracell batteries destroy several flashlights over the last few years. Their batteries are junk nowadays. I’ve even had them leak in the package, unused.
    Well ... there goes my theory on Duracell not leaking ... Just ignore post #12 !
    I don't know what batteries to buy now !!!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post

Darn, as luck would have it, I already threw them out.
    Thanks for all your replies. Might just go for a new LED light.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    I’ve also had great luck with the $10 knockoffs of lights like SureFire. My dad gave my wife a high end one years ago for Christmas ($120 price point from amazon) and a couple years ago I bought myself a $10 one at 7-Eleven. Only way you can tell the difference is the color of the button, all other parts and features are identical including brightness.

Hers came with a large single battery that’s expensive to replace cause it’s a weird size. Mine takes AAA in an adapter or the large oddball one my wife’s does. I stick to the adapter.
    I'm positive the one bought at the convenience store is nowhere near Surefire quality! I have a rechargeable Surefire that after 5 years a battery would no longer hold a charge and I called Surefire and they sent me 2 no charge. I'll stick with Surefire and not mess with the Chinese made knock offs!
    Last edited by smithnframe; 07-23-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006542.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	265143 These, maybe? 10 year shelf life. I've had no problems.

Banned
    It won't solve all the problems , but if you use some die-electric grease on the batteries themselves along with the terminals it does a decent job of at least slowing the corrosion down if not eliminating it .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    That is why I threw all my Mag's out years ago. The tolerances are so tight in the metal tubes even the slightest swelling of even premium alkaline batteries will cause sticking. Since the goop that leaked from the batteries is alkaline, use a weak acid mabe even white vinegar to loosen the garbage and then 0 steel wool swab on a dowel. Once you can get new batteries to go in, grease them up as mentioned. and switch to LED's! Or buy CHICOM knock-offs for a few dollars and just throw them away if you forget to change the batteries. I only use CopperTop batteries. They have a published shelf-life on them.

banger

I have used Windex with Ammonia to great effect in these situations, apply and use air & towel to remove.

Moderator Emeritus

Most big-time battery manufacturers will replace your flashlight, just send it to them for replacement.
    BUT, if they can't tell if it was their batteries in the flashlight, then they lightly won't replace it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001