Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding AC to a workshop

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I will correct my wording from "in most cases" to "you can find readily available units where they (https://iwae.com/promo/mrcool-diy/ Cooper & Hunter as well as ClimateRight) have precharged line-sets as well.

I'm a licensed HVACR tech, I understand how one purges and evacuates a line set.

The trend is to do DYI installs, the ClimateRight is the one I suggest the most as it is idiot proof.
    I don't install A/C but I have been around a lot of it as I am an oils heat tech. I haven't seen any of those self install units. Most of the houses here use ducted A/C in conjunction hydro air or hot air furnaces. Most of the splits here are in commercial spaces or installed in house additions. Thanks as I'm looking to do the A/C in my house with splits.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 07-18-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Then you may like the ClimateRight as it also has heat, 1700W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Then you may like the ClimateRight as it also has heat, 1700W.
    That's what I'm looking for something I can use for heat as it's tough to work in a freezing garage or wait an hour for a kero heater to start warming the place.

I would use fuel if you have access but electric only, this is pretty affordable. This will be our first winter using it in the she shed, if it cant keep up, I will trench to the outdoor wood boiler and bring in heat that way.

Boolit Grand Master

I was recommended the mini split in the new shop by the contractor. he had several reasons for this 1) no duct work to deal with. 2) more efficient than other units. 4) no chimneys or vents needed and last was in a small shop fume build up from solvents and open flames can be a bad combination. I put mine in late this spring and have only used it a little bit since the shop isnt finished.

My external unit is in the garage area of the building and only the cassette is in the room high on the wall taking very little wall space and up high where its normally not used. Its very quiet running only the fan is heard. I would definitely use one for a "cold" room, addition or new room. the power units may be capable of running 3-4 cassettes even.

I was looking at a propane furnace and Regular AC unit. most were bigger than I needed, required duct work chimneys vents and drains. It went in quick and easy ( installers were knowledgeable and professional). $4000 unit labor and materials,start to finish.The remote can be programmed to start and stop at given times a set temp held. Fan speed can be set or auto. the distribution vanes programmed to oscillate or fixed position. My main unit is on a concrete stand with a tray under it drain to outside of building and the cassettes drain runs to this tray.

I would talk to several reputable heating cooling services and the stores people( home depot, lowes, menards ) and see if a self install can be done. my lines were precharged and there is a small coil up above of the extra ( so they didnt require cutting and losing the charge). They did check it but I dont recall them adding any. the unit cassette and lines were all flushed purged and filled from factory. If you can get this from a local store you may be able to do complete installation. The other issue will be wiring and adding the needed breaker to your box for it.

Boolit Buddy
    My shop has its own dedicated power so it shouldn't be difficult to wire in. Now that I have an idea of what to use and costs I'll call the company that installed the HVAC system in my house this winter.

Moderator Emeritus

I have installed four mini split units. At the time they were around $700 and come pre charged. Have both heat and cool. As long as you have electric that can be run to it you should be good to go. They are quieter than you would think.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple of LG 14K BTU units set in the upper portion of 9' wall, operated with remotes. I purchased these from Home Depot for under $1K. They do a great job of cooling down my 800+SF shop quickly. Quite, 115V, easy to install.