Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: idea mold 311414 loads ?

Boolit Mold

idea mold 311414 loads ?

Does anyone have data for loads using this bullet -148/150 gr .308-.311 dim. I clean out my dad's old casting gear and found this mold ,I have a OLD lyman handcasting book from the mid 50's with about 4 loads in it for 30/06 using powders I don't use . I would like to use it for my 03, garand and sks. If any of you gray beards can remember this mold and other loads for I would thank you for them.

Ralph G

In Remebrance

Ralph, I think that boolit was designed for the 300 Savage. Use any data for a comparable weight boolit and try to seat it as far out as practical. Boolits of that shape need all the help they can get in starting straight in the bore as they have relatively little bearing surface to steer them. I'd aim for a load in the 12-1350 fps tp start with. If nothing else you can use 13.0 gr Red Dot or 16.0 gr 2400 to start in the '06, they are sort of universal "go to' loads. It probably won't cycle the M1. With the SKS seat the boolit so it will chamber from the mag and find a load with a similar weight boolit. I'd only be guessing to recommend a load so look at the online manulas and info for suggested loads.

Boolit Mold
    the lyman book show loads(8) for this mold in (1)7.7 jap .(2)300 sav,(1)303 brit and (4)30-06 using Hi v,2400, 4350,4759,4198,3031. the book is copyright july 1958 .is there any up to date data ?

In Remebrance

Try finding a copy of the latest, 1980's, edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Any data for a boolit of similar weight will work fine. This isn't like jacketed with max loads where you have to have the exact data, OAL, primer, etc. Any data for the cartridge you use with a similar weight boolit will work fine for starters.

Boolit Grand Master

To build on what Bret says I would suggest using data for the 311440 in the current Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. The 311414 is a very pointy bullet with a short bearing surface. To maximize the bearing surface I would "as cast" and only seat the GC and lube. I would also try well fire formed cases and start with Unique. I'd even go a little lower than the Lyman starting load and start at 10 gr. I'd do this be cause of previous experience with 150 gr cast bullets in the '06. I would use no filler or wad with any powder of 2400 or faster burning rate.

While the Lyman manual shows what appears to be some impressive velocities with the 150 gr cast bullet in the '06 with 311414 you will want to start low and work up to find accuracy. Starting high and working down to find accuracy can be very frustrating. It can be a decent bullet for your '03 but doubtful that it will give decent results in the M1 Garand if you want a functioning load. It may be too long for the SKS but you won't know until you try. It also should cast out to at least .311” diameter for use in the SKS with .312-314” being preferred. Do a search on the Lee C312-155 in the SKS and you will find lots of load information. 4198, RL7 and 4895 are the most used powders for that bullet in the 7.62x39.

Good luck, good shooting and let us know how you do with 311414.

Larry Gibson