Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: Crushing vs. Compressing

Boolit Buddy

Crushing vs. Compressing

So when or where does compressing turn to crushing. Or packin' turn to squishin" ?
    Even so, as long as one is consistant(Every load squished the same) groups should be too, no?
    And as far as it goes, one can only squish so far before it comes up solid. I don't think solid would be a good thing of course the premeasured "pellets" are, AAARGGGHH now I got myself confused agin.
    What say?
    Knarley

Boolit Master
    The powder in arsenal loads for the 45-70 was compressed to a nearly solid cylinder.

Jerry Liles

Boolit Master

I have pulled boolits from my own 45-70 loads and it takes a strong dental pick and some effort to get the powder out. I am compressing .250" and it is a solid mass. Pellets such pyrodex do not fill the entire case in the same manner and are a different animal entirely.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Knarley,
    I don't know what cartridge you are loading for but you will end up compressing your charge more or less depending upon circumstances. IMO, the only time you over compress BP is when it bulges the cartridge case.

For me with .45-70 and a 550 Hoch bullet and a felt wad that is about .006 after compression, case bulging sets in when I have 74 gr of FF compressed enough to get the big bullet in deep enough to chamber. How much works for your gun will depend upon your gun. I have two 45-70s and they are as different as black and white in their appetite. Each is a law unto its self. Uniformity of loading is important though and seems more so the more one compresses the powder.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm loading .45-70 with 500 gr. Lee postells with 65gr Goex FFF( by weight) with 3/8" compression(Squishen). The boolits are cast using wheel weights and SPG lube.
    Both my Pedersoli and IAB seem to like the combo.
    Knarley

Boolit Mold

potato v potato

different words for same meaning.
    stomp and stamp.
    If loads are constistant velocity it should not be a problem.
    41 magnum
    Icore Life Member
    NRA Benefactor member

According to Wolf in his book on reloading .45-70 cartridges for the Trapdoor Springfield, not only do you compress the charge but the case must have the flash hole drilled with a 3/32nd inch bit or a #41 bit and the use of either Winchester or Federal Magnum Large Rifle Primers to duplicate the Arsenal Loads of the 1880's.

I tried his advice and poured a measured charge of Goex FFg down a 24 inch drop tube and used a compression die to get enough space to seat a Lyman 457125 500 grain RN and still taper crimp just above the first driving band.

In this configuration a Magnum Primer with a long burn time is a must.

Very accurate load.

Boolit Buddy
    I can see deburring the flash hole, drilling them out is another. Magnum primers huh, I'll have to try that. I was under the impression that the milder ones were the way to go, but then again I'm NO expert. Thats why one askes questions
    Thanks for the input...all you guys......
    Regards
    Knarley

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've packed a 45-70 Starline case with 75grs of Swiss 1.5 and shot silhouette at 1000yds with accuracy. Even managed several in a 10" X circle and 20" ten ring at that distance
    So Knarley, don't know the point of crushing but normally don't exceed 0.30 compression
    Regards
    John