Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case gauges for 45ACP

Case gauges for 45ACP

So I'm finally gonna start reloading for 45ACP. First autoloader reloading attempt. I know this headspaces off the case mouth and thought I might better work with a case gauge at least for a bit. Using coated cast boolits of .452". Which case gauge are you using for .452" boolits? I've noticed a couple options specify .451".

TIA
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Master

I'll watch this. My bet is that it may depend on your pistol.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Yep not sure. I kinda went off half cocked so to speak. Decided on cast vs plated bullets before I thought about possible throat issues. Guess we will see.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

The best case gauge you can use is the barrel of your pistol.
    Remove the barrel from your pistol and drop the cartridges into the chamber. They should drop in freely(otherwise known as the "plunk" test).
    If they stop short of fully entering the barrel, you may not be completely removing the case belling. If your crimp is completely removing the bell, you may have throating or chamber issues.
    If the cartridge plunks nicely, you should be good to go.

Boolit Master

I also would like to suggest a Lee factory crimp die.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

+1 Tazman

Boolit Master

Yep plunk test
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

1. Your barrel.
    2. I've had excellent luck with the EGW 7 hole 45 ACP gauge. I use it to check ALL loaded ammo. It helps me catch high primers and anything else.

Do NOT use a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. It will cause more problems than it solves.
    NRA Benefactor.

You should use the plunk test when getting set up with a new bullet or changing settings on your seat die. But then, it's a pain in the butt to unload and disassemble your gun for that one odd cartridge that you need to test occasionally. I've had good luck with Wilson gages. They aren't a waste of money because they save plenty of time.

I've had lots of rounds that wouldn't plunk, but would chamber fully if fed from the magazine and the slide cycled on them. I keep them separate and shoot them first for plinking.

Sounds like it is down the middle on case gauge vs plunk test. All good info on that.

I've always used a Lee FCD on my pistol rounds (all revolver rounds) with no issues. Is there something different about autoloader ammo in general or 45 ACP specifically that causes issues?

Quote Originally Posted by AggiePharmD View Post
    Sounds like it is down the middle on case gauge vs plunk test. All good info on that.

I've always used a Lee FCD on my pistol rounds (all revolver rounds) with no issues. Is there something different about autoloader ammo in general or 45 ACP specifically that causes issues?
    No. The Lee Factory Crimp Die works just fine.
    Some people complain that it sizes the boolit down, but I have never had that experience with them. I use them on all my handgun cartridges both revolver and autoloader alike.

Boolit Master

I favor a light Taper Crimp.

Use bbl for Plunk test.

How did we ever manage to handload Billions of rounds in the "olden days" without case gauges.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    +2 Tazman , use your barrel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nueces5 View Post
    +1 Tazman
    +3 Tazman

If you have a match grade barrel you may be surprised how much taper crimp is needed.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Some people complain that it sizes the boolit down, but I have never had that experience with them. I use them on all my handgun cartridges both revolver and autoloader alike.
    I agree with using the Lee FCD for 45 ACP, however, I do not recommend it for 9MM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Agree. I have "certain" handguns that need the LFCD and I use it all the time. I have one for every cal/gun I reload for.

One solution for one person may not fix YOUR problems with YOUR guns. You gotta mess around with what is out there and arrive at what YOUR guns like to eat. I know it took me several months to finally figure what my 1911 45ACP likes besides factory FMJ'.

45ACP is my LEAST favorite boolit to reload. I thought it was 9m until I got into the 1911's!!!!!!!!

I still need to order a 45 throat reamer.

banger

Boolit Buddy
    I use an L.E. Wilson .45 ACP max cartridge gage for cartridges I load for three different pistols that my son and my god son have. It works great.

Boolit Master
    Don't worry about headspace, seat RN to specified oal, seat a swc so there is about 20 thou of shoulder above the casemouth.

Boolit Master
    Most dies size the case so it will hold a .451 jacket but this is too tight for lead boolet and can damage them during seating, especially true for flat bases and soft swaged. Get a Lyman M die expander plug at .452, or just decap with a bigger die and size with the Lee FCD , minus the guts. Good luck

Boolit Master
    If you want to spend the money buy a Wilson case gage. If you are like me and every penny is tight use your barrel and plunk test. If you are worried about sizing down with the lee fcd just kiss the case mouth with it. It will get rid of the flair and not size your bullets down. I only had the fcd size down only really over size bullets. Also they would not chamber any way. On my 45 acp Springfield I had a problem with chambering. The first rounds I loaded for it about half would not chamber. Found out the bell on my case mouth was belled out still to much. I just took the fcd and just inserted the rounds only about .030 to .050 thou and it took care of the problem. I also full leingth some of the ammo in the fcd. It didint even touch the side of the ammo only the very end of the bell.