RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Odd HP Mould

Boolit Master

Odd HP Mould

A sadly now-departed friend of mine bequeathed me a bunch of his Stuff, and in the Mould box I found a dual-cavity Hensley&Gibbs No. 140. I was low on boolits for reloading .44 Special, so I got this one out and gave it a try. Depleted a 20-lb pot in less than an hour, which is pretty good for me, manipulating a hollow-point pin, particularly this one, which obviously requires heavy gloves to use.

Attachment 260609Attachment 260610

Anybody seen a H&G hollowpoint attachment like this before? All the point and base pins I've seen on their moulds have been the integral pillar types that slide out one side on two pins. This one has to be pulled out and reinserted a/la Lyman/Ideal. The position of the locating pins and holes on the mould might argue that the thing was set up for the hollow point pin in the first place; if aftermarket, I would think that they would be nearer the outside edges or lower corners, more in the way of the hole for the pin. The workmanship on the pin is right in there with that of the rest of the mould (if you disregard strict practicality; a wood knob would help), and I got a pile of good boolits out of the thing after a few warmup casts. Didn't need to tap the mould; they just shook out, at worst.

Now to fix gaschecks, size, lube and load. "Oh Quarantine were Paradise enow."

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Bent Ramrod- I have seen a photo of this type of HP pin before but that't all I can remember about it. Seems like it might be a good thing for maintaining heat in the pin.

Boolit Master
    All of the factory H&G HP molds I've seen used this arrangement. All of the other styles of HP arrangement on a H&G I've seen have been aftermarket conversions.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

Use a wooden drawer pull knob, and bore it out to fit the shaft part of the hollow point pin.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amerock-c...409766&veh=sem

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Moderator Emeritus

Buy a short piece of 1"-1 1/2" dowel, drill it for a press fit and some hi-temp silicone glue.
    Is it me or are those cavities slightly offset? Are the bullets square to the bases? Being who made it they must be but it looks off to me in the picture.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Thanks, all, for the help and advice. I think the “offset” is just the play of the light on the picture; the bases were square to the extent I could see and the boolits went down flat onto the gas checks and straight into the sizing die.

I’ll load a bunch up tomorrow and see how they do.

That is the correct hp pin for h&g molds. I have a h&g #142 mold that casts a swc and a hp bullet.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The #140 is h&g's version of the lyman 429244
    The #142 is h&g's version of the lyman 429215

My h&g #142 casts a 220gr swc gc bullet and a 200gr swc gc hp bullet
    [IMG][/IMG]

That 200gr swc gc hp holds it's own in a snubnosed 44spl (bottom left)
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've owned that h&g #142 for decades, last year I sold a h&g #51 mold that had the same setup (2-cavity with 1 hp pin). I bought a couple of mihec molds and have yet to test them in the snubnosed 44spl. They are gc'd like the h&g mold but between the 2 molds I can cast 180gr to 230gr hp, penta point and cupped point hp's.

Anyway that a standard hp pin for that mold. Hang onto it they typically get lost & it's on the rare side to see a mold with the factory/original hp pin.

These old moulds are on the slow side of fast casting but they are a pleasure to use and if your alloy is right for the speed you shoot, they do a fine job of mushrooming and weight retention.

452423 Keith HP

358439 Keith HP (.38S & .357m pins) bottom row of HP's

356637 HP Devastator . . . works in the .38S also

I preheat the pins on top of the mould oven and that works fine ...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell