MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Classic Turret 9mm questions?

For what it is worth. I have been sizing and decapping some 9mm. Sometimes the pin will move up and I pitch that brass. I found some must have been military because instead of a single hole they had 2 offset holes.

I had a similar problem with Lee's universal decapping die. It would randomly pop the decapping pin every now and then no matter how tightly I cranked down on the nut. How I solved it: Take take the pin out, clean the bearing surface lightly with some fine scotchbrite and clean everything well (the pin, the inside bearing surface of the nut) with acetone before reassembling. CRANK that nut down as tight as you can get it with a box end wrench while holding the die (preferably mounting solidly in a press) with another wrench.

I think mine had some assembly oil/gunk on the pin and was letting it freely slip out no matter how tight I had the nut. Cleaning the gunk off of it seemed to fix it 100% and I haven't had it slip every again.

Ohh and order a separate decapping pin because with it THAT tight, it's only a matter of time before you bend it.

daloper. Those cases with two flash holes use Berdan primers. A single flash hole use Boxer primers.
    In the US most cases use Boxer primers. In the rest of the world Berdan primers are popular.
    Military has little to do with which primers are used.
    When you find Berdan primed cases they probably came from outside the US. Especially if 9mm.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daloper View Post
    For what it is worth. I have been sizing and decapping some 9mm. Sometimes the pin will move up and I pitch that brass. I found some must have been military because instead of a single hole they had 2 offset holes.
    That pin moving up is by design to avoid breakage.
    I have to believe when you are de-capping a Berdan primed case you would feel the extra effort and stop, and investigate.

Edit: just read where OP posted about his problem being resolved:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4870217
    I'm out...
    Last edited by Kenstone; 04-20-2020 at 12:32 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I would crank it down some more , they work good but you have to really crank them down hard. You are doing it the way I do if it slips tighten more and try it you will hit the point where it stops slipping.
    This right here