Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I have achieved the ultimate stay at home boredom activity

I've inventoried, cleaned, finished a couple rifles, done a ton of leather work, stood in front of the lath and mill a pile, and even tried Sudoku. I'm down to looking for plans to build an RC unlimited hydroplane. Can't get bored you know!

Boolit Master
    Having been retired for twenty one years the end of this month the quarantine hasn't changed our lives all that much. We still have to go for groceries and prescriptions and I try to get out to the range to work or shoot as the weather permits. I met a friend at the range yesterday and had told him I would bring my 03-A4 Springfield along as he wanted to see and shoot it. Good thing he brought some ammunition as I discovered I was nearly out but, that is a good excuse to load some more and Will keep me out of the wife's hair.

Up until the fire in my shop/garage in 2015 I pretty well knew what I had in inventory. After the fire, with the help of many friends, everything got packed and sort of labeled. Now it's like Christmas every time I open a box I find something I'd forgotten I had or didn't know where it was. Don't know if I'll ever use it all up but, It's fun trying.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm kind of like Elk Hunter except that its 5 years for me, not 20. The only thing different for us is not eating out and not going to some of the local breweries. We go for a ride a couple times a week and take my Mom to get her out. Once a week the Wife cooks and bakes some stuff and we make a loop and see all of the Grandkids. I'll drive up in their driveways and She will set a couple of sacks on the porch, ring the doorbell and run for the truck! We'll talk back and fourth across the driveway.

I'm another packrat and procrastinator. I started cleaning up and organizing the loading room, the garage and the shop. The other day I had every piece of brass that I owned deprimed, tumbled and the pistol cases were resized. I need to dig into my lead stash and stamp my ingots but I doubt that I will. Theres only about 11,000 of them.

Boolit Master

Wow did I read the title wrong

I read it as

I have achieved the ultimate stay at home bedroom activity

Quote Originally Posted by geezer in nh View Post
    wow did i read the title wrong

i read it as

i have achieved the ultimate stay at home bedroom activity
    i wish!!!
    Just another homesick Texan that shouldn't of left in the first place!
    Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 11/69 to 6/70 & 9/70 to 5/71
    U.S.S. Ranger (CVA-61)
    U.S.S. John R. Craig (DD-885)
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I think we all are pack rats to different degrees. Last summer, i finally went through my reloading stuff and weeded a lot out that I no longer need - funny how you run across a few die sets that are duplicates. I finally looked at my boot storage shelves - I normally store mine in plastic peanut jars with a label. I started to go through then and couldn't believe how many I had with maybe ten, fifteen, etc. left in the jar - ones I no longer use as I settled on other designs. I finally had a cleaning day just for boolits and if I hadn't used them for a long time, some I gave to a young fellow I'm trying to hep get started in reloading and the rest went in to the pot they went and I ended up with quite a few muffin tin ingots when I was done. Next was to go through y 55 + year collection of molds - I store the blocks in divided hinge top storage box - same thing - how in the heck did I end up with two or three of the same blocks? Some I know came as part of "lots" and I just cleaned them up and oil them and put them in the storage boxes. Once a person str ing through things, it's amazing how much you can get rid of to open up storage shelves and cabinets - so you can start filling them up again!

Boolit Master
    Last week I ran across 400 Lee 38-125s that had been sized and (FWFL) loobed. So, I've been busy reloading 38 Spl the old fashioned way. I prepped enough brass, and now I'm loading them one at a time, dumping powder (AA#5) with an old Lyman 55 (those sure are neat powder dumps!), and seating the boolits on an RCBS RC. This summer when all the kids/grand kids/friends/neighbors drop by they can go out back and bust a few caps.

I'm using Fed brass that who knows where it came from, and Fed SP primers that were bought so long ago that they were probably a penny apiece. Powder is from a long time ago, too. Price to load, maybe $.02 or .03 each (<$3.00/hundred). Fun with family and friends, priceless.

Some of the loob was beginning to dry out, so I loaded a few at the start and shot them. They're just fine.

I still have some 358311 that was cast back in the mid 70's with a single cavity mould, probably 500 or so. I think I'll break them out and PC (Smoke's clear) them and load some .357 Mag! The lead came from an indoor military range sand trap - pretty soft. They ought to make some nice mid range loads.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Wow did I read the title wrong

I read it as

I have achieved the ultimate stay at home bedroom activity
    We so need a like button.. GRIN.... uncle mike

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    What was it, 64, 5” projectiles on one metal ammo pallet? I’ve handled one or two, even in the rain, back when I was gung-ho.
    I really want to say it was 48 projos per pallet, with either 29 or 39 powder cans per pallet. Somewhere around 600-650 rounds was a magazine load, depending on the ship class.

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Think 5"54 rounds weighed 55 pounds just for the projectile. Used to get bagged all the time for underway replenishment. One day ammo ship alongside lost it's steering. Collision alarm goes off and then Bam.Good solid hit. Many of those olive drab bombs with the fuses out were rolling around the hanger deck. Definitely a day to remember. Frank
    5"/54 projectiles nominal weight is 70 lbs, illumination rounds were 72. Initial velocity 2650 fps. 5"/38 projos weighed 53 lbs IIRC.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggin View Post
    I've always wanted to start an IBMHA club. International Brotherhood of Master Halfassers!!!
    I am not just a member, I am the local president!!

Don

Boolit Master
    Got my power tools and firearms inventoried but that was last year. Started yard work trimming low hanging tree limbs, spraying for po\poison ivy and weeds, cleaned out the shed from hell. Now have to make new doors,have the wood already delivered. once I get both doors down will get some accurate measurements and go from there. Get one door done and hang it on the 3 hinges and double check the numbers again and when done hang the other door. About the only thing worth saving is the tap con screws I used to reinforce one door. Then sit down with a hammer and crowbar and take the old nails out then on to the burn pile. The galvanized sheet metal will either go to my nighbor as he knows someone that can reuse it. Or my brother in law. I sure as heck don't want it. if all else fails leave by the curb as someone will find a use for it. Lotta houses down here still use it for roofing. Frank

Banned

I have achieved the ultimate stay at home boredom activity

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I really want to say it was 48 projos per pallet, with either 29 or 39 powder cans per pallet. Somewhere around 600-650 rounds was a magazine load, depending on the ship class.

5"/54 projectiles nominal weight is 70 lbs, illumination rounds were 72. Initial velocity 2650 fps. 5"/38 projos weighed 53 lbs IIRC.

Robert
    Rifling twist rate was...? Drawing a blank here. I was a MK 86 FC for a decade. CG-56 & DD-980.
    The Bofors MK 110 57mm on the small ships has a progressive rifling bore, and I have asked the gunners and crew if they knew that, haven’t got the correct answer yet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I am board enough to start new projects but not board enough to clean up the mess.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    You're not alone.

I actually did complete one. Only took me two years to get back tuit.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Looked it up,practise rounds were 54 pounds each. At least that is what we were told. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    It's one of the first things I did. I got my reloading room cleaned up and organized, now I can't find anything anymore
    I just showed this to my wife. "See,I'm not the only one."

Boolit Master
    While cleaning out the shed shed from hell found a 3 gallon plastic bucket inside was an assortment of galvaniazed nails, nuts and bolts and a huge pile of nails all galvanized and in different sizes.\
    So sat there for about three hours separating each nail, bolt,nut,washer, and locknut plus all the galvanized screws. What didn't appear to be useful and those that failed the muster went in a gallon milk jug with the lid taped shut next the bulk pickup comes around.Frank

Boolit Master
    Farming here so not bored.

However, once the Sunday honey do’s are wrapped up, I get a late afternoon shot at my load room.

My regular varmint rifle’s are sufficiently ammo’ed up so I got to turn my attention on my .25-20 Win Contender carbine (MGM) barrel!

There is a long thread over at the Marlin Gun Owners forum about reloading the .25-20 (150+ pages) and after acquiring grey whiskers reading it, I found it to be very instructional!

A moderator over there (Remington 35) has amassed a ton of info and shares it freely!

After running the Speer 87 gr. TNT some ahead of Lil ‘Gun, in reading about his experience with the 75 gr Hdy V Max I decided to give it a go.

After getting it settled down into .850” at 100, my pistol primers were getting beat up so a switch to rifle primers put the cratering issue aside but groups are running up around the one inch mark now.

So with that I went into field test mode Sunday AM. Got some California Ground squirrels (grey diggers) to pose for me at 65 to 80 yds. I racked up two for two, that is all I fired. Color me happy!

I will get into cast soon because I count four molds in the 25 caliber category though one, the RCBS 100 gr FN likely will be too long (and heavy).

One is of particular interest, an express boolit, the Ideal 257027 HP. This one has the real long pin, too long by what I have read. I suppose keeping that frog sticker hot is the challenge and one solution is to make/have made a shorter one.

I also have a sharp pointy boolit number in a mold that might be a good one.

So my legacy with Coronavirus thus far is that I got my .25-20 Win finally “blooded”!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”