Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questions on casting for the marlin 336 in 35 Remington

Boolit Master

Good job on the seating stem. Because I, and everyone else I suppose, have been looking at your bullets in the loaded round pictures I failed to see the split case in the pictures, at least that is what it looks like. Left hand casing in the picture with the three loaded rounds.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That’s a superficial ejection scratch on the neck. There must be a burr somewhere inside the action. It won’t Scratch like that of I keep tension the round with my finger when ejecting it. I found this out when checking boolit OAL. You can see the other long scratch it made along the left case as well as the neck on the one in the middle.

These are dummy rounds...but I’ll pull out the magnifying glass just to double check the three dummy cases. I’ve never annealed any of my 35 Rem cases and they are 15 years old so I wouldn’t surprise me. I’m in the need for some replacement 35 Rem brass.

I already pulled those boolits, along with the GC’s that stayed in the cases, and resized them. I’ll anneal them before loading up. I hate to anneal them after sizing because the case necks get pretty soft when seating boolits. Probably just me, but I at least feel that the FLS process after annealing helps to start stiffing up the cases.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-14-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You can custom fit nose punches with epoxy putty or just fill the nose cavity with epoxy putty , let cure and sand flat. No need to do all the metal working with JB Weld Epoxy Putty around .
    Much easier to work with .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I fished it off with 150 grit sandpaper till the rings were gone. Then I smoothed it out with 400 grit...

I had some left over Brownell’s oxpho blue laying around so I put a few coats on it...

I loaded up a few cases. As you can see it worked perfect. I did anneal the cases as well so the boolits didn’t seat as hard this time time around. I must have annealed one of the cases a little to much as it dented and crumpled when I chamfered and deburred it after trimming. My case necks look a little chewed up from my rcbs chamfer & demurring tool. I could feel it grabbing pretty hard like it was snagging the case back instead of cleaning off the left over burrs from trimming. I have a new one on the way from rcbs.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-15-2020 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I have two 35s. One 1951 ballard rifled, and a 1968 micro groove. I cast a 200gr RCBS gas check design boolit. The micro groove likes .359 dia. I load 8.5 gr Unique, crimp and go 2.410 OAL. 2 inch groups all day long at 50 yds, 1150 fps average, very pleasant fun load to shoot. Dont know if your lee boolits are gas chk or flat but I ended up with a gas chk and its no big deal. I did try some .35 cal pistol boolits but didnt have good results.

I don’t own the lee mold anymore but casted up about 20 pounds before I got rid of it. It fell apart. I have a group buy HP mold I’ll be casting with in the next couple days. Both boolits/molds are GC versions. My 1970, 336 slugged at .357 and I sized my boolits at .359.5”

I plan on running mine at full tilt, J word, max loadings. I have no need for light plinking loads. That’s what my 77/44 is for. I’ll keep juggling powders, boolit styles, and alloys till I find one that can group with a max charge or close to it in this gun. If not back to the dreaded J word I will go.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-14-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Relic, what does your 1951 35 Remington Marlin like for cast? I have one same vintage, a Sporting Carbine. The RCBS 35-200 boolets are a little oversized in the nose for the carbine, but I picked up a Saeco mould of the same design and the nose is noticeably smaller. I can seat out a little further even PCed.

I casted up a bunch of 200 grain HP’s from our .360 group buy mold yesterday. First time trying the mold. Very easy to cast from. I did getting finning around all the HP areas but I can easily scratch it off with my finger nail. I’m sure my new seater die will push them flat. The majority weighed 198 grains with my 16:1 pure lead flooring and pewter mix. I will PC and GC them. I’m hoping this 7.5 BH, soft, malleable alloy will really open up a d hold together at 2000 plus FPS with good accuracy. I’m going to have to try these in my whelen as well.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-16-2020 at 08:15 PM.

I seated some of my HP’s today. It worked great. The alloy on the right is a lot softer (7.8bh). It looks like the HP rim flattened a little on the softer 16:1. The alloy on the left is 10.4 Bh...50/50.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-21-2020 at 07:28 PM.