Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Imr 4064

Boolit Man

Imr 4064

Well, I came across a "deal" on approx. 20 lbs of 4064. Back before I "wised up" I use fo load Jacketed bullets of the 30 cal variety with this powder it shot well, but was a pain to meter through my measure's. Now that I have 'graduated" to cast bullets I am looking for some rifle loads to use this powder in. I'm shooting everything from Hornet to 45-70 and most calibers in between. So any load suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Boolit Master
    I have used it at about 30 gr. with cast in a 303 Brit. IMR 4064 is very versitle, maybe not the best but usable in a wide range of aplications.

beemer

Boolit Master
    Not much help but 4064 is one of my favorite 8mm powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Have used up to 46gr of 4064 in a 45-70 with the Lyman 330gr HP Gould.
    Also 43gr of 4064 with the Lee 405gr fp will do about 1350ish and make much deer meat!
    I got some notes where I used it in a 30-30 with a Lee 150gr cast I will look up.
    Jeff

I like IMR 4064 for my 30-06 Remington 740.

IIRC, 49g under a 165g J-word boolit.

I shot a few of my regular bolt gun loads of IMR 4350 and soon found out that semi auto rifles don't like that type of load. Scary actually.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Moderator Emeritus

It is the most accurate powder with J-word bullets in my 308. I have found AA 4064 to be very close in all the applications I have tried it in.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Moderator Emeritus

IMR4064 has been the best preformer for my '06 and it also shoots well in my 220 Swift. I don't have the data on hand but 49.7gr behind a 180gr JSP comes to mind for the '06.

A lot of people do not like this powder because it is long grain and does not meter well. I don't care about that because I trickle each and every load for accuracy. I just set my powder measure a tad light and top them off with the trickle charger. For me, the extra accuracy is well worth the time spent.

Boolit Buddy

Have used 58 gr IMR 4064 with 300JHP and 56gr with 400 gr JSP. Used 48GR with 405 cast. All very accurate and not overpressure. Cast was with GC.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    Just be careful that this powder has not been mixed with other powders!
    The .30/06 Springfield,the ULTIMATE cartridge combat,hunting and target cartridge,a .45 single action and a good FLINTLOCK is all I need to be happy!

Boolit Master
    4064 is my favorite powder. Right now, I use it with paper-patched bullets , in my 8 x 57 (Yugo M48 rifle). 28.0 grains for targets and 31.5 grains for hunting.... with 0.5 grains of cotton wool filler, under a 170 grain flat-nose, cast bullet, paper-patched with two wraps of ordinary lined notebook paper, lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. The 31.5 grain load produces about 1900 - 1950 fps, the 28.0 grain load about 1800 or so. Excellent accuracy for both.