Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data

Thread: Gas checks - lubing- sizing - whew!!

Boolit Bub

Gas checks - lubing- sizing - whew!!

I'm still very much in the should I or shouldn't I stage so far as jumping into casting my own or buying (store bought) cast. I have about three questions on my mind right now that I'll include in this post and hopefully the replies will clear up some of the confusion. It's not actually confusion but just the desire to clarify a few things. I'll apologize beforehand if it turns out to be more than three questions.
    1. Gas checks - Do bullets (I'm sorry, boolits) have to be specifically molded to accept a gas check or can they be applied to any flat base boolit ?
    2. Bevel bases - In some of my reading it seems that bevel based boolits should be avoided yet I see many offered for sale and pictures of the boolits from several of the molds I see offered for sale show beveled bases. The question I'm asking is when and/or why should bevel based boolits be used or not used?
    3. Lee gas check crimping - The Lee sizer dies supposedly crimp gas checks but I'm wondering since the boolits go into them nose first how come they don't get pushed off the base as they're pushed into the die?
    4. I recently read an article on handgun bullet lubes by Mike Thomas in the Dec. '08 issue of Handloader and in it he states that for his testing, using 5 different lubes, he applied the lubes by hand to save having to clean his press each time a new lube was used. Has anyone tried this and how practical would it be for me to try the same thing while using the Lee sizing dies to get by cheaper on initial start up? The object being to be able to use some lubes other than the Alox which sounds like a messy proposition from the git go.
    I'm trying not to be overwhelmed by all the info available. I've been reloading my own for 40 years but just never really got interested in the cast side of it until the last year or so as I've picked up a couple big bore leverguns and revolvers. My main interest lies in hunting and casual target shooting.

Boolit Master

I have done gas checks with my Lee Sizing System Dies.
    The pushrod keeps the check in place while sizing. It actually works fairly well.
    I have some bevel base molds, and flat base molds. Both do the job for me. I have not really noticed a difference in performance. The bevel base molds load slightly easier, but belling the case does the same job.
    If you pan lube, with the Lee Sizing System Dies, it is messy but efficient. There are some basically simple lubes on the net, I make the one like the NRA 55/45. It works fairly well, at least I have no complaints. It smells good also.
    The first and only time I loaded store bought lead bullets from a supplier, they leaded so badly it was miserable. Much, much, less time slugging the barrel, sizing to size home made boolitts. They work so much better than store bought. There is a slight learning curve, but well worth it.
    Big bore Lever Guns, and the revolvers might not need checks. I do not use checks on anything but my .30s and went to paper patching instead. The checked loads were miserable for me.
    The Lee system does it all for me though. I have almost worn out my .308 sizing die. For about 20$ I get another one. It sure has done well so far.

Boolit Master

1 - Yes, you have to buy a GC mold to use Gas Checks.

2 - Bevel Bases make for easier loading... Flat bases are better for accuracy tho.

3 - They work fine. Just trust the system

4 - With the lee sizers it is more difficult to use something other then Lee Liquid Alox. You pretty much have to either apply by hand or pan lube. But don't worry, LLA is somewhat messy and smoke when fired, but works wonders.
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Master
    Briar, It depends on what your shooting at and from.
    GC designs are good for higher velocity rounds to help keep the leading down.
    I use the push through dies only(for pistol and rifle)
    I hand lube, Take a small amount of soft lube on a finger tip, smear in lube grooves, Size.
    I also LLA lube, Cut the stuff with 10% mineral spirits will make it less messy and dry quicker.
    I dont have a lubrisizer because I am not a high volume shooter.
    I have some Lee, rcbs,lyman and crammer molds.

Boolit Master
    I've had to push my bullets through the Lee sizer base first to seat gas checks for my 30 cal. bullets, but it seems that I'm the only one who has had to do it. I've also taken some lube and applied it by hand when I didn't have a whole lot to do, and then run it through the Lee sizer and it worked great, I couldn't tell any difference between it and the LLA as far as accuracy..

I've also fired G/C bullets sans check from my various revolvers for some many years, with no ill effects. I prefer to put gas checks on my rifle bullets.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    If we knew what cals you shoot, it would help us to give better answers as it does in fact matter a great deal.
    PS.. WELCOME!!!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub

OK Here they are.

45-70 in Marlin 1895
    Marlin 444
    44 mag in Ruger Blackhawk
    45 LC and 45 ACP in Ruger Blackhawk convertible