RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 357 mag worship

I’ve got a few 357s and they shoot very well. I have m19s & m27 S&Ws. They are ok but when you get right down to it if you are shooting a lot of 38Spec loads you don’t need a 357mg. I say 357 is minimum and marginal for deer size game and only at 100yds or less. I find 44 or 45 better choice all around. I think the only claim to fame for 357s are guns light enough for reasonable comfort in carry for law enforcement. Gives them magnum people shooter capability in K frame size.

I have nothing against the 357 except the crack.

Boolit Master
    I am another .357 fan. Probably the most potent caliber that can be easily carried concealed. I also like that they are light enough when I am out fishing and hiking. Yep, it is limited on range when hunting. But, so are most pistols that you can easily carry in a side holster.

Never warmed up to the large pistols. Just not as easy to carry on the hip for me.

No, I don't visit big bear territory. If I did I'd want a .460 or .500 if I could not carry a rifle.

Boolit Man
    I have an older 586 6" and it is my favorite shooter, it is the only 357 I own.

The only revolvers I own are chambered in 22LR, 38/357, and 9mm. I have several of the 22LR and several of the 38/357 but only one 9mm(S&W 929).
    I used to own larger but can't handle the recoil anymore. My old friend Arthur has become a constant companion in my hands and wrists.

Boolit Master
    I took a quick trip,just one box of 38's with a (new to me) Mod 14 today.

It's like a practise version of a "real 357", very enjoyable. Magtech 158 was grouping and ringing steel good. I shoot it to get brass...

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The only revolvers I own are chambered in 22LR, 38/357, and 9mm. I have several of the 22LR and several of the 38/357 but only one 9mm(S&W 929).
    I used to own larger but can't handle the recoil anymore. My old friend Arthur has become a constant companion in my hands and wrists.
    Arthur has visited my bones also. Last few years in AK I couldn't figure why my 4 inch 629 hurt so much when practicing with the 300 grain carry loads ... realized that my poor ol wrist bones and tendons were gettin worn out and those deep penetrators hurt very much to shoot. But till we moved back I carried it every step in the brush ... hunting and fishing.

Traded it off when we moved back to the lower 48.

My 45 Colts are still fun but I shoot light loads and light boolits mostly.

357 low speed up to medium speed are favorites and the occasional barn burner just to remember that fast heavy 357's DO have bite and I would and do feel good in the brush here carrying my GP 100 4 inch. It is a very comfy revolver to shoot and carry in a shoulder rig.

I used to think that large magnum handguns were a lot of fun. I laughed when people said they killed on one end and maimed on the other. Not now.
    I know my limits. 357 mag at full power is all I can comfortably shoot. I no longer need to test myself.

Yep, got 3 357s, a 41 an a 44, burn a lot more Titegroup than 2400 these ays
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    Have a few .357s, few favorites and can't really think of anything negative to say about any of them. I like the versatility for the reloader. I admit I have shot a lot more .38s in them than .357s but that's a big part of their appeal to me. I get two guns for the cost of one. I own a .270 too... (-:}
    Last edited by arlon; 01-20-2020 at 01:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I used to think that large magnum handguns were a lot of fun. I laughed when people said they killed on one end and maimed on the other. Not now.
    I know my limits. 357 mag at full power is all I can comfortably shoot. I no longer need to test myself.
    LOL. Years ago I bought a Blackhawk in .45LC. I loved loading that thing up to max loads and shooting away with it. After a thousand rounds or so I noticed my wrist would hurt the next day. A few more outings and it got worse so started shooting mild loads.

About a month after that John Taffin printed his article on how shooting big revolvers almost crippled him.

Sold the Blackhawk and got a 9mm

The heaviest load I shoot these days is .357 and most of the time it is downloaded for practice. I do shoot some full bore at the end of each session to stay sharp and make sure the sights are where I want them.

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    Have a few .357s, few favorites and can't really think of anything negative to say about any of them. I like the versatility for the reloader. I admit I have shot a lot more .38s in them than .357s but that's a big part of their appeal to me. I get two guns for the cost of one. I own a .270 too... (-:}
    This also what I like about the 357 , also the 327 for all you can shoot in it. Then the 44mag
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I have carried, shot, hunted various game animals with the .357 for many years, my first .357 was a brand new Mod 28 back in 1965. I have taken everything from squirrels to moose. Using light .38 spl., loads you can harvest small game with less tissue destruction than high speed .22 LR ammo. The old Keith load 358429 over 13.5 gr. of 2400 in a .38 spl. case is good for anything in North America, if you do your part.

One of the best testimonials for the .357 is located here.. https://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/357magnum.htm

Boolit Man
    Just sold my 40 yr. old mini-14 ... and got a Blackhawk in .357mag.. wish i would have kept that 1985 Trooper, but i was young then.

gordie

" I feel your pain"..the Trooper was a very nice gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    As the title eludes to ... this is a comment on the 357 S&W magnum revolver's usefulness.
    357 revolver's versatility to shoot 38 Special ammo has surprised me lately... I just recently got my first ever 38 - and I find myself shooting quite a lot of 38 wadcutters with my 357's now,too.

Even though I've been shooting 500's since they came out in 2003, I still bought a 22 LR revolver last year... I guess I just like them all. And blue wadcutters are just cool.

Quote Originally Posted by John Van Gelder View Post
    I have carried, shot, hunted various game animals with the .357 for many years, my first .357 was a brand new Mod 28 back in 1965. I have taken everything from squirrels to moose. Using light .38 spl., loads you can harvest small game with less tissue destruction than high speed .22 LR ammo. The old Keith load 358429 over 13.5 gr. of 2400 in a .38 spl. case is good for anything in North America, if you do your part.

One of the best testimonials for the .357 is located here.. https://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/357magnum.htm
    And JimTaylor is a 45 Colt man so his praise of the 357 should be noted.

I have a very old mold that produces a 77 gr. wadcutter, I have probably taken more small game with that bullet in .38spl. cases in my various .357 magnum guns than I ever did with a .22lr. Back when I was a State Trooper in Alaska, we were issued mod 19 S&Ws, I always carried an extra six rounds of hard cast 358429 bullets with the standard Keith load of 13.5 gr. of 2400. These worked very well when I had to dispatch a moose that had been hit on the highway.

Boolit Master
    my second center fire hand gun was a ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 .357. I used skeeter and Elmer loads in .38 cases. best bullet was the 358429. I have shot everything from water skippers to deer with it. even confirmed ownership of my corvette one night. I still have it . it lives in the night stand by the bed now.

I had a Blackhawk 4 5/8 .357 bought it back in the days before transfer bars and after the original flat tops. I had a load using the Keith bullet made of really soft alloy and 4.5 grains of 700X in .38 cases that load was really effective on woodchucks.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast