WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: R W Grip Frames

Boolit Buddy

R W Grip Frames

Been following a thread on Lee Martins Single-Actions Website. Ronnie Wells of R W Grip Frames. Is making CNC machined Ruger Grip Frames in Brass and Aluminum. Offering just about any configuration one can imagine. A wide range of conventional and Bisley Models are available, smaller Junior Models for young shooters to .300 extended length Gorilla Paw Models. Very minimal fitting is required.
    Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Nice frames! But a little too rich for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    I got a PJNM (potato judge aluminum) ordered.

Boolit Master
    Steel frames today, tomorrow and forever.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Something about a medium patina brass grip frame on a Single Action. I remember back in the Mid 70’s when the Brass Grip Frame Rugers were circulating in the shops in Anchorage, Ak.
    Pipeline money was flowing freely, a Ruger Brass Grip Frame Single Action never even made it in the display case.
    Recently on The E Auction site, I have watched the after market cast repro’s go for 300. That makes the R W GriP Frames price seem more than fair. My hats off to anyone that starts a business and offers a quality product.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 01-04-2020 at 09:59 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Well, you know how opinions are. I can buy a steel grip frame already blued for a $100-$200 more than RW charges, and it comes with a frame, cylinder, and barrel attached. No assembly required.

Boolit Mold
    If Ruger starts offering factory brass frames again, they would be a good value. That's assuming you want the configuration they offer, which in the past meant the dragoon only which I can't stand. Qualite and other aftermarket grip frames had quality and fitment issues. Power Custom previously but no longer made a SAA style brass two piece I believe.

These grip frames come in pushing 100 variants currently, are impeccable, not terribly difficult to fit and finish unlike a rough cast frame, and will be offered with reasonably priced VERY nicely fit grips of your choice of material or your own wood, and with careful fitting don't require refinishing of the gun and of course unlike steel don't need to have a finish applied (though the aluminum I would coat).

Given the cost of customization, these are a good value especially when you add in what he charges for grips compared to the custom grip makers. A great starting point for the home gunsmith that won't require remedial work like some of the older cast grip frames, but would be right at home on a Bowen gun AND won't require excess amounts of time to fit (by time of course I mean your $$$). People have whittled down the steel grip frame to make them lightweight at much greater expense than these aluminum parts. Check out the Power Custom parts for a better idea of the custom grip frame market.

If you look at the options, for no money are these parts available elsewhere. Single Six scaled Bisley? Mid-frame scaled Bisley? Colt Bisley style? No 5 in brass? I'll say, I dislike the dragoon for it's sharp trigger guard, but that Bisley with a dragoon trigger guard has enough relief it feels good and IMO looks great. The Wells No 5 is a modification of the old Kieth No 5 but for those of us with adult size hands. Want a SBH hammer on a Bisley grip frame that won't have a gap where the Bisley hammer hump goes? RW is the only way to make that happen.

Boolit Buddy
    They look nice but before I pay that much I want to hold them and see how they feel.

Boolit Buddy
    Very well stated, Potatojudge
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    $350 for an unfit, rough cast Dragoon brass grip frame. Don't think it's a factory since it's not marked as such.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/vie...?f=41&t=284036

Boolit Buddy
    I think the RW grip frames are a good deal, especially when you look at fitting a Ruger grip frame. I had purchased a stainless Ruger bisley grip frame for one of my 44 mag SBH and to get a local gunsmith to fit it to my frame was quoted @ $100-$150 and if I wanted it modified like round butting it was another $75 including reshaping a set of factory grips, if I wanted a custom set of grips made it would be $200 + depending on grip material. Add the fact the Ruger Bisley grip frame cost $120 doing a bisley conversion is not cheap to have a smith do it. With the RW grip frame I feel I can do the fitting and make a set of grips (this will be a first for me.)

Boolit Master
    potatojudge has nailed it quite well.

Not everybody likes or wants brass grip frames,, but some folks do.

Aftermarket brass g/f's aren't easily found, nor are the Ruger factory ones. When found,, cost about the same. Why not buy something you WANT,, and it is YOUR money? No,, not everybody can afford such stuff,, but others can & are willing to spend it.

As for fitting your hands,, with the different shapes & designs,, a fit will be easily done.

Those who poo-poo the cost or looks,, that is YOUR opinion. By trashing such stuff,, you are not helping gun parts builders at all. And when folks who are willing to build stuff,, be GLAD they can have a business and we can still have guns to enjoy. I'm often reminded of an old saying; "If you can't say something nice,, don't say anything." You still can enjoy your opinion,, but allow others to enjoy theirs as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jac43 View Post
    well, you know how opinions are. I can buy a steel grip frame already blued for a $100-$200 more than rw charges, and it comes with a frame, cylinder, and barrel attached. No assembly required.
    amen!
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    For Single Action Owners that appreciate a variety of Grip Frame options and materials. With a minimal of fitting. These offering fill a large void in the custom Single Action realm. R W is also considering producing cylinder blanks in the future.
    Rick

You have one in hand? How much work did it take to fit?

Boolit Mold
    I have 8 pre production models in hand but haven't done any fitting because I haven't decided on what guns they'll live on permanently. I'm waiting on the grips and I'll probably scratch make a set or two myself to evaluate how I shoot with the different designs.

I have fit steel grip frames and they just take some care and time. Brass will be easier because it's softer and polishes up nicely without additional finish work. Fit will be best if refinishing the gun, but can be made very nice even without refinishing the mainframe.

I have a couple of Munden tuned Vaqueros with the Power Custom two piece grip frame fit without refinishing the main frame and they're very well fit and finished.

Right now you can order the grip frames, which are essentially made to order at this point. Sounds like he's getting them milled and mailed under a week. The guy is a work horse and really dedicated to excellent service and products.

Boolit Master
    Soon Ronnie will have a program running where you put in Bisley Ruger. It will overlay an optional size over it do you can see the changes.
    For those of us that shoot a lot in cold weather wearing gloves these grip frames are a prayer answered. For those who have decided they’re too expensive, I’m sorry for you. I’d rather have one sixgun that shoots extremely well and fits my hand even better that ten factory crap offerings.
    I foresee Ronnie making the whole sixgun at some point, seven shot 357, five shot 50s etc.
    Very exciting stuff happening for a shooter.....