Thread: Brass question

Boolit Buddy

Brass question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brass.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	229.6 KB 
ID:	253983

Sorted a bucket of range brass I picked up on Sunday and came across several of these in both 38 Special and 357 Magnum. At first I thought Starline had changed their headstamp which didn't make sense to me. I checked out Starline's website and didn't see any change. Is anyone familiar with this headstamp? If so, is it any good.

Armscor I believe? Hear a few things about primer pockets not deep enough To fully seat the primer and off center flash holes. A lot of people use it. Load a few and see what you think.
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

I have seen those as well. They are NOT Starline. As Skunk1 suggested, they are probably Armscor.

Boolit Grand Master

I've found a few of those and they reload ok. If the primer pocket is too shallow that can be easily fixed with the correct tool. I don't like off center flash holes but I can't tell any difference in the way they shoot. Just as long as they aren't bad enough to break my decapping pin!

But just for the sake of science, why don't you load up say 10 of them and torture test them? Load and shoot them over and over until they fail.
    Last edited by lightman; 01-03-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I've found a few of those and they reload ok. If the primer pocket is too shallow that can be easily fixed with the correct tool. I don't like off center flash holes but I can't tell any difference in the way they shoot. Just as long as they aren't bad enough to break my recapping pin!

But just for the sake of science, why don't you load up say 10 of them and torture test them? Load and shoot them over and over until they fail.
    That is probably what I'll do. I'll report my findings at a later date.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember seeing some range pickups with that headstamp on some 38 Special brass. I reloaded them normally and nothing stands out as them being any different. By the posts above the brass/ammo seems to be sold country wide...

FWIW; not sure about now, but one used to be able to get nearly anything stamped on the case head with a minimum order (I read 10,000 min.). IIRC; some competitive shooters who shot many thousands per year would have their name or logo imprinted on the case head. But this is just an old guy's remembering and I could be totally wrong...
    Last edited by mdi; 01-04-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Im not so sure about it being Armscor unless they changed the headstamp again recently. Or possibly a different headstamp for the .38/357s???

I have Armscor brass for .223, 10mm, and 22TCM and all of them are stamped A-USA. There are no stars on the headstamp either.