Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt Reduced or Cowboy Loads

Boolit Master

6.0 gr Trail Boss pushing a 230 cast bullet runs fine for me.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

I wont use trail boss because its so darn expensive. Costs almost twice as much

I'm definitely going to try Red dot though. I really like Green dot and HS-6

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    I wont use trail boss because its so darn expensive. Costs almost twice as much

I'm definitely going to try Red dot though. I really like Green dot and HS-6

While it's true that Trail Boss powder is more expensive than most others it's no where near twice as expensive. A pound of Red Dot at 22.00 dollars a pound (16oz) vs Trail Boss at 16.00 per 9oz. about .40 an oz. more and at 6gr per load (each) TB = 2.4cents per round per bottle and RD= 1.9cents per round per bottle. Give or take a .01cents or two. I know it "seems" to be much more expensive but it's really not all that much, plus it excels for what the OP is looking for. But if a penny or so a round makes a big difference to someone then TB isn't probably their best choice.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh now cowboy loads, try the original 45 colt loading case full of 2f black powder card board wad and a 250 grn bullet. enough powder to fill air space with the wad then work up from there. Should start out around 700 fps and working up will slowly increase velocity

Boolit Master

I’ve used 6.0 gr of Unique for CAS loads. No bonus points for extra recoil.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluehorse View Post
    While it's true that Trail Boss powder is more expensive than most others it's no where near twice as expensive. A pound of Red Dot at 22.00 dollars a pound (16oz) vs Trail Boss at 16.00 per 9oz. about .40 an oz. more and at 6gr per load (each) TB = 2.4cents per round per bottle and RD= 1.9cents per round per bottle. Give or take a .01cents or two. I know it "seems" to be much more expensive but it's really not all that much, plus it excels for what the OP is looking for. But if a penny or so a round makes a big difference to someone then TB isn't probably their best choice.

Shoot it if you want to. Your definitely getting it cheaper then me

Boolit Master
    Never understood the attraction for the donut powder. It's just a one trick pony. Anything it can do can be done by Bullseye, Red Dot and 700X, plus with these powders you can load them up to respectable velocities.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    The trailboss “donut” powder was developed to fill large cases with reduced loads. Volume was increased to prevent double charges.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shootinfox2 View Post
    The trailboss “donut” powder was developed to fill large cases with reduced loads. Volume was increased to prevent double charges.
    I know WHY it was created, I just don't know why guys buy it. I teach reloading, and having reloading habits that don't allow for double charging a case are taught. If you're in the habit of double charging cases you should perhaps take up another hobby. Just MHO.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Another gain with Trail boss or VV N320, aka Tinstar, is less variety in muzzle velocity. Compared near fullfilled TB or Tinstar load to small amount fast powder(red dot or VV n310) being either near to primer or near to Boolit?
    Last edited by Finn45Colt; 12-10-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

Never understood the attraction for the donut powder. It's just a one trick pony. Anything it can do can be done by Bullseye, Red Dot and 700X, plus with these powders you can load them up to respectable velocities...
    Never understood why some folks criticize the safe loading practices of others. TB is safer for the average reloader, it reduces the chances for an overload, isn’t position sensitive, and makes money for the maker. Win-win. I guess some folks think everyone else is just like them. Here’s some secret knowledge - they’re not.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    Never understood why some folks criticize the safe loading practices of others. TB is safer for the average reloader, it reduces the chances for an overload...
    Hmm, seems to me I was criticizing guys with unsafe reloading practices that allow for dropping double charges. Never realized that the average reloader used unsafe reloading practices. Would love to hear from all these reloaders who find themselves dropping double charges of powder in their cases. We could then have an online discussion about their unsafe practices that lead to this result.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I like red dot for my light loads it works well in a lot of cartridges it has a lot of volume for its weight that makes it easier to see in large cases than more dense powders and it throws consistently with the press and measure I use it in .
    If I felt more comfortable with trail boss I would use it , nothing wrong with that choice if it works for you.
    Ain't it great we get to choose the powder we like.

im the ODD duck i recon, i like IMR 4227 in my 45colt loads. i've for years used the 454190 but have recently begun to enjoy the lee 454-255RF due to 6 cavities over 1. in my old model vaquero i'm dropping 18gr charges for my buddy's 44 cap-n-ball conversion to 45colt i drop down to a 12gr charge. neither of which will retain a double charge if it so happens you forget where you are it will spill over and call you things (often dirty names).