Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Buddy
    Can anyone please post a pic of Texas Tea. My search on the interweb turned up empty

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I posted a pic, about 450,000 pages ago hahaha. My boolits are the colour of coffee/milk chocolate.

Boolit Master
    I'm posting this for Joe, due to the fact he can't get pictures to work on here.

It is heat/time tests done by others that he has received.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master

Heat resistance of Hi-Tek

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I'm posting this for Joe, due to the fact he can't get pictures to work on here.

It is heat/time tests done by others that he has received.
    Thanks for posting this , much appreciated.

The credit for this work belongs to Slide.

These tests were done for all those who were interested in the coatings ability to resist/reflect heat during baking.
    These results also show the ability of the coating to stop heat from Powder burn going into alloy. The film thickness was only 1/2 thou of an inch thick for these tests.

Experiment
    Oven set at 180C. Two identical calibrated probes were used inserted into holes drilled into both plain and once coated alloy.
    Attached is a graph of time lag caused by 1 coat, of ½ thou coating film thickness.
    At 2 minutes, differential was 20C
    At 3 minutes, differential was 15C
    At 5 minutes, differential was 10C
    At the 6 minute mark, the coating started liquifying and cross linking and temperature of coated cast was 162C, and uncoated cast was approaching 170C.
    During fusion/melting & crosslinking, the differential was much reduced, as the liquified resin conducted more heat into the alloy but continued to remain at about 5C differential up to 180C..
    From 6 minute to about 8.5 minute mark, the differential remained reasonably constant at about 5C.
    At the 9 minute mark, the differential was 2C at about 180C.
    Final temperature of non coated cast was 182C and coated cast was at 180C at same time.

From test results, it is confirmed, that coating reflects heat, and dramatically slows down heat penetration into alloy, and it does not take much coating thickness to achieve that.

Graph also shows temperature, with profile changes taking place, when coating begins to heat cure commencing at about 165C onwards, starting roughly at the 6 minute mark.
    From start of cure beginning at about 165C up to 180C, the temperature differential remained at about 5C.
    At the end of baking, there was only a 2C difference between plain alloy and coated alloy.

This temperature resistance is also shown in Gateways video.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6x...VEjbLTV4m25gzQ heat test video

Main reason for these tests, is to demonstrate that it is not oven air temperature that is critical, but actual load temperature is critical to monitor.
    Under cured coatings, can be directly caused by user to think that load was baked correctly as oven was at a certain temperature, but in fact, it the load may not have reached correct cure conditions..
    Hope information is useful.
    Last edited by HI-TEK; 12-04-2019 at 07:11 PM.

Nice work Slide. Ordered a thermometer with K-type thermocouples today. It was about $25 shipped and sounds like a good idea for guys that just have to have the color right.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Everybody needs to know that this was Ausglock's and Joe's idea sometime back. I just happened to see a post and decided to try it. Good luck Avenger442.If you need help let me know. It is simple or I wouldn't be able to do it.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Good Job, Mate.
    I did it with my setup, but couldn't be bothered data logging it.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Interesting,thank you Slide.

I have too much temp variation in my oven for a test like that. Every bullet reads a bit differently anyway, radiant heat beats the cyclone.

But I can live with it,especially with TMG Gold.

Petander
    I usually agree with you. I'm not really as interested in the color as I am with no leading and group performance. But I need this blue color. It is one of the Auburn colors.

It is hard to explain to someone that does not live here the rivalry of the two college football teams in this state. Some of us get a little out of hand and there have been some who have ended up in jail because of it. But for the most of us it is just a friendly ribbing (joking or teasing). We wear our colors some even choose the color of their car based on those colors. My wife, who is from another state thinks we are all a little crazy or as she says "stupid". But every year she gets into the same ribbing fun as everyone else. Auburn and Alabama have been competing in the "Iron Bowl" since February 22, 1893. I believe this year was the 187th game. Auburn won the first but Alabama has won thirteen more times than Auburn. Auburn won this year and we have the bragging rights for the year. I was a student at Auburn 1971-1976. And these blue bullets are something the guys at the range will love. Even Wiki has a history of how it all started.
    While I work at it, it is by God's grace that it happens. So it is best I ask him what, how and when before I start..

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Petander
    I usually agree with you.
    That's interesting because I disagree with myself all the time.

But I do understand why you want the blue right. I'd like to get Candy right and Blue is soon on my way, I've been thinking it has to be right so I'll need:

A) More Cyclone

B) A heat shield to tame radiant heat from above

C) Both

D) Another oven

A PID only helps after the hot / cold spots are gone.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger442 View Post
    Petander
    I usually agree with you. I'm not really as interested in the color as I am with no leading and group performance. But I need this blue color. It is one of the Auburn colors.

It is hard to explain to someone that does not live here the rivalry of the two college football teams in this state. Some of us get a little out of hand and there have been some who have ended up in jail because of it. But for the most of us it is just a friendly ribbing (joking or teasing). We wear our colors some even choose the color of their car based on those colors. My wife, who is from another state thinks we are all a little crazy or as she says "stupid". But every year she gets into the same ribbing fun as everyone else. Auburn and Alabama have been competing in the "Iron Bowl" since February 22, 1893. I believe this year was the 187th game. Auburn won the first but Alabama has won thirteen more times than Auburn. Auburn won this year and we have the bragging rights for the year. I was a student at Auburn 1971-1976. And these blue bullets are something the guys at the range will love. Even Wiki has a history of how it all started.
    All I got to say about that is Roll Tide.

Well Georgia is our longest rivalry. So go dogs.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=Avenger442;4776601]Petander

Avenger, TRUBLU is already under way to the US. You need to keep in touch with Donnie with arrival/availability situation.

Boolit Master
    First coat TMG Gold,second coat 50/50 Zombie Green/TMG Gold.

Did I ever mention that I like TMG Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Did I ever mention that I like TMG Gold?
    Not in the last 10 minutes!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Not in the last 10 minutes!
    hehe

So, zombie gold?

Boolit Master
    I wonder what the remaining test sample of TMG gold I have, is worth to a Caster in the frozen North of the Planet......lol
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    I wonder what the remaining test sample of TMG gold I have, is worth to a Caster in the frozen North of the Planet......lol
    Do you need dropbear repellant? Now that Christmas is coming, I have plenty of braindeer repellant,it is good for dropbears,too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191210_213802_602.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	252714

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    You certainly gave them a bashing.
    Was this Zombie/TMG 50/50 mix?

Page 630 of 742 FirstFirst ... 130530580620621622623624625626627628629630631632633634635636637638639640680730 ... LastLast