RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To the Hunt!

To the Hunt!

Texas' gun season opens this morning!
    Good luck to everyone!
    I have noticed that my "get up and go" is Much slower these days- but still exciting. AND- we have a frost this morning- we're sure not used to that!
    Be Safe and shoot straight.
    TbG

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The best of luck to you.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned

Good luck, I'm up early for a work commitment, heavy frost on the ground, sky clear as a bell, perfect hunting weather.

Kansas only allows bows during the rut. We won't be able to hunt with a rifle again until the Wednesday after Thanksgiving.

Good luck to y’all! Enjoy the day.

Boolit Master
    Good luck you guys! Waking up to a nice frosty morning up here in NORTHERN Alberta is par for the course this time of year. But when a light snow hits, the feeling of the whitetail hunt overcomes us! Wohoo!

Boolit Grand Master
    best of luck to ya
    we have a tracking snow on the ground here
    headed out to the camper to bow kill a buck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Grandson and I went out. He was carrying his .243. I was carrying my binoculars. Had a good 10 point at about 200 yds but he slipped in the brush before he could take a shot. Waited another hour and a nice 8 came out chasing some does. Grandson did everything right and nailed him. He’s 14 now and this is his third opening day deer in a row. Best thing is he still wants Papaw to go with him!

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    Grandson and I went out. He was carrying his .243. I was carrying my binoculars. Had a good 10 point at about 200 yds but he slipped in the brush before he could take a shot. Waited another hour and a nice 8 came out chasing some does. Grandson did everything right and nailed him. He’s 14 now and this is his third opening day deer in a row. Best thing is he still wants Papaw to go with him!
    Congrats to y'all! I'm over on the Sabanna River in Commanche County. The wind has kicked up here, I'm going to still hunt for a bit. Nothing at the feeder this am but Wife said she'd cook breakfast if we went back to camp so who am I to argue with bacon eggs & biscuits!
    Time to get yours, Grandpa. Good luck.

Boolit Master
    I’m a county east of you. Saw 8 or 10 does and those 2 bucks this morning. They were moving pretty good over here. Think I’ll hold off awhile. Just got through skinning and quartering that 8 point. That’s about all the fun I can stand for 1 day. ��

I hear you. I'm push mowing a half acre of tall dove weed so I can see the turkeys and pigs. Its seeded out and dusty and I see benadryl in my future. I cant get a tractor and brush hog up the trail to the plateau where my stand is.

Banned
    Being a grandpa sounds like a blast! I hope to just remain a dad for at least a few more years though.....

Moderator Emeritus

Got a true spike buck.....big body but ugly rack.....cant eat the horns but can ya hear the chicken fried backstrap!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Moderator Emeritus

Mid 30s with a stiff north wind blowing here in the Brazos river valley this morning. Our middle grandson saw two does but passed on them and Mrs. Treetop passed on several smaller bucks (in our county, spikes are legal and bucks with at least a 13" inside spread are legal).

Me? I slept in! We have already have two fresh deer in the freezer from archery season, so I'm not hunting until the wife and the five grand kids kill their deer. It seems that these days, I'd rather eat deer than hunt them.

The grandson is hunting with NOE, Ranch Dog, 165 grain boolits, backed by a dose of IMR 4895 in his Remington 700 in .30-06. Can't wait to do an autopsy, those huge meplats should do some damage!

As I type this, they are both back out, on their stands so I'm waiting to hear gunshots! Treetop
    Last edited by Treetop; 11-02-2019 at 05:02 PM. Reason: misspelled hear!
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Moderator Emeritus

I was working out in the shop about a quarter to six this afternoon when I heard Mrs. Treetop's Savage youth model 12, in .308W "speak" followed instantly by a "Whap"! About 20 minutes later she backed the Ranger up to the shop apron. She had killed nice average sized doe using her usual handload consisting of 27 gr. of IMR 4227 behind a 130 gr. Nosler partition j-word.

She's a small lady and doesn't like recoil at all, so these loads approximate a 7.62x39. The j-word broke ribs on entrance and exit and scrambled the lungs. Distance was around 50 yards. "Grandma" said the deer ran about 20-30 feet and collapsed.

Grandson was hunting a stand about a half mile from grandma's, and saw deer but didn't shoot anything.
    Treetop
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the field report, Treetop. Always good to hear of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
    I was working out in the shop about a quarter to six this afternoon when I heard Mrs. Treetop's Savage youth model 12, in .308W "speak" followed instantly by a "Whap"! About 20 minutes later she backed the Ranger up to the shop apron. She had killed nice average sized doe using her usual handload consisting of 27 gr. of IMR 4227 behind a 130 gr. Nosler partition j-word.

She's a small lady and doesn't like recoil at all, so these loads approximate a 7.62x39. The j-word broke ribs on entrance and exit and scrambled the lungs. Distance was around 50 yards. "Grandma" said the deer ran about 20-30 feet and collapsed.

Grandson was hunting a stand about a half mile from grandma's, and saw deer but didn't shoot anything.
    Treetop

Boolit Master
    My son killed the biggest deer I’ve seen in awhile the AM. It had 14 points. Dual main beam on one side. Guess this leaves me as the only one without a deer.

Boolit Master

Here he is

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9997A8F2-201B-410E-8D6E-F1FA7576C9DE.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	250645

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by txbirdman View Post
    My son killed the biggest deer I’ve seen in awhile the AM. It had 14 points. Dual main beam on one side. Guess this leaves me as the only one without a deer.
    No sir I have not seen a shooter buck yet. I did pass on a little doe opening morning.
    Btw Congrats to your son on a fine deer.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Very nice buck! I played hide and seek with a doe for a little bit yesterday morning. She stomped and bleated at me before she ran off haha. I saw lots of bucks in trucks on the interstate going home.

Boolit Master

I've just read and reread the above posts to Mrs. smoked turkey. You all in Texas are having too much fun with deer hunting. Don't you know deer hunting is supposed to be work? Our session opens Nov 16. The family will mostly be here and me, our two sons and grand daughter will be after them. Always a good time.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."